aberdeen-music

Cool Thinkers Cool Thoughts & Local News Thread

Guest Cool Thinker

Guest Cool Thinker

Cool Thinker, please could you find out what happened to La Fenice on Huntly Street and report back?

Never heard of it and cannot find anything online, did it close?

All I can find is that it is a good place with good reviews but nothing about it closing. Nothing on Facebook/Twitter either. 

What is the store front like is there a note or something?

Don't you live in Edinburgh???

Edited by Cool Thinker

I've just done a little bit of a search now on Facebook and stumbled upon the owner, Franco's profile. It looks like the place had been open for ten years and  he has just decided to retire. Maybe the lease on the place was running out and he didn't want to sign up for another ten years. Shame, though, he was good for a coffee and a chat. I never got to try the food, but I always heard it was good. The first time I went in, there were a couple of businessmen sitting with their coffees and one of them said, "Much better than Starbucks, isn't it?" and Franco shouted, "'Ey! No swearing in my shop!" BANTZ!!!

We went in the day after Italy lost in the Euro 2012 final and didn't mention it once as he happily chatted away to us. Then one of his regulars came in and said, "Franco, I was sad for your boys last night..." and he feigned ignorance, shurgged and said, "What happened? I was asleep."

Don't you live in Edinburgh???

Yes.

Guest Cool Thinker

I've just done a little bit of a search now on Facebook and stumbled upon the owner, Franco's profile. It looks like the place had been open for ten years and  he has just decided to retire. Maybe the lease on the place was running out and he didn't want to sign up for another ten years. Shame, though, he was good for a coffee and a chat. I never got to try the food, but I always heard it was good. The first time I went in, there were a couple of businessmen sitting with their coffees and one of them said, "Much better than Starbucks, isn't it?" and Franco shouted, "'Ey! No swearing in my shop!" BANTZ!!!

We went in the day after Italy lost in the Euro 2012 final and didn't mention it once as he happily chatted away to us. Then one of his regulars came in and said, "Franco, I was sad for your boys last night..." and he feigned ignorance, shurgged and said, "What happened? I was asleep."

Yes.

I have a mutual friend with you on Facebook.

Guest Cool Thinker

As intrigued as I am, I don't want to know who just in case it reveals your identity and the CT myth is shattered.

What would I reveal as I am him. I am YOU.

• Downvote 1

Guest Cool Thinker

Shrek The Musical will be coming to His Majesty's Theatre, Aberdeen from 21st January - 8th February 2015 (yes, 2015). Tickets are on sale now and are selling really quick.

Derren Brown is coming in 2014.

Guest Cool Thinker

Ah you've finally proven useful to me. Cheers CT

It's a really good show I seen it in London earlier in the year. It went by really fast because it was so enjoyable but don't find out spoilers. Go in with an open mind.

Guest Cool Thinker

Belmont Cinema will either close or be sold. This is orders from the Competition Comission. Cineworld have chosen to dispose of it.

The Belmont is in trouble again :(

Belmont Cinema will either close or be sold. This is orders from the Competition Comission. Cineworld have chosen to dispose of it.

The Belmont is in trouble again :(

They can't close it, as it'll go against the competition commission and they'll get a massive fine. I'm pretty sure someone will pick it up, more than likely as part of a deal with the other two they have to sell as well.

Guest Cool Thinker

HELL YEAH, SHREK THE MUSICAL.

And you did not give me rep :(

It will have a huge orchestra aswel. The only thing more perfect would be if Wicked came to Aberdeen too.

Edited by Cool Thinker

Guest Cool Thinker

They can't close it, as it'll go against the competition commission and they'll get a massive fine. I'm pretty sure someone will pick it up, more than likely as part of a deal with the other two they have to sell as well.

Bring Prince of Wales to Aberdeen I walked past it in London and did not realise how significant the cinema was. It is down some back lane on the way to china town.

Guest Cool Thinker

I'd go and see Wicked if it came to Aberdeen.

I would too. The thing that annoys me is alot of plays either go to Edinburgh and Glasgow but advertise it alot of here. The Lion King and Singin In The Rain are being advertised as if they are showing nearby. 

I wonder how long Cats took to come this north. Cineworld are currently having a West End theatre season showing many West End plays. This months one is Merrily We Roll Along. Hopefully Wicked will appear on that.

We need more west end in Aberdeen.

Guest Cool Thinker

Sunshine On Leith movie is out yet the play is not touring just think of the money they could make by having that touring when the movie is in the cinema. People like the movie and they would like the play.

That is not West End that is Dundee Rep.

Edited by Cool Thinker

I would too. The thing that annoys me is alot of plays either go to Edinburgh and Glasgow but advertise it alot of here. The Lion King and Singin In The Rain are being advertised as if they are showing nearby. 

I wonder how long Cats took to come this north. Cineworld are currently having a West End theatre season showing many West End plays. This months one is Merrily We Roll Along. Hopefully Wicked will appear on that.

We need more west end in Aberdeen.

I remember going to see Cats when I was in 4th/5th year so 1994-1996 time period. Probably been earlier than that though.

Edited by MattJimF

Guest Cool Thinker

Wicked is on in Glasgow soon and The Lion King is on in Edinburgh very soon. Cannot afford to go see them got to much other things to pay for right now.

I seen Cats earlier this year at HMT but thought it was a bit boring but it was alright.

I think it is good that Shrek The Musical is coming to Aberdeen in 2015 only 4 years after Drury Lane premier. It did not close because it was bad it closed because they had something else lined up. If it was not in such a high profile theatre I think it would still be playing but it being a kids show could have something to do with it.

Edited by Cool Thinker

Guest Cool Thinker

His Majesty's Theatre

What's On

9 October 2013 - The Vagina Monologues

12 October 2013 - Yesterday

16 - 20 October 2013 - Slava's Snowshow

22 - 26 October 2013 - James & the Giant Peach

29 October 2013 - Scottish Dance Theatre

31 October - 2 November 2013 - Scottish Opera: Don Giovanni 

7 - 16 November 2013 - Finzean In The Rain

30 November 2013 - 5 January 2014 - Cinderella