aberdeen-music

Confessions

ca_gere

I couldn't get into Game Of Thrones

Slogged my way through 5 episodes and really didn't get anything out of it at all. What am I missing?

It's not my bag either. Tried it a few years ago, and I just can't get into it. Tried again recently when my missus watched it from the start. Nah.

For gratuitous sex scenes and graphic violence, Banshee is way more enjoyable.

This post does make you sound like a bit of a knob, Cloud, tbf.

Only a bit?

Does it make it better if I also admit to egging, flouring, golden syruping and whatever else-ing Roger Kimmett's windows for about 2 years? Every time he cleaned them (which wasn't often), they'd be subject to yet more abuse.

I'm trying to remember what I was actually doing at that gig, and all I can remember is Camie.

Then there was the time that we put frozen rats through people's letterboxes as they were too big for my friend's snake to eat.

Only a bit?

Does it make it better if I also admit to egging, flouring, golden syruping and whatever else-ing Roger Kimmett's windows for about 2 years? Every time he cleaned them (which wasn't often), they'd be subject to yet more abuse.

I'm trying to remember what I was actually doing at that gig, and all I can remember is Camie.

Then there was the time that we put frozen rats through people's letterboxes as they were too big for my friend's snake to eat.

we used to snap stink bombs and pour them through letterboxes.

I'd love to golden syrup kimmet's windows.

I also admit to convincing him to let me smash his entire set of bathroom tiles after telling him that I had a mate that could sort him out with top quality tiles for free.

I gave him a black eye with a toilet roll, smacked him a few times with a pool cue, gave him a hiding at a party (for being a drunken arse towards some girls), spent all his money on booze (and then went into a club that he was banned from), got him fired from Cafe Bardot's after convincing him to give us bottles of vodka and a lot of other stuff.

I used to also egg people from my friend's car, including a golden shot one night when I managed to egg some guy and the shell went flying all over his girlfriend. Karma got me though, as I tried to egg some chipper on Great Northern Road from the car and ended up covering myself instead.

What a total knob in hindsight.

• 3 weeks later...

Bill Hicks I can understand. There weren't many people besides Pryor and Carlin doing his kind of social commentary stuff at the time and he took it to the next level in terms of confrontational style. Whether or not he was funny is entirely subjective. With Louis C.K. I just don't see how what he's doing is all that different/better than everyone else. Is his observational story schtick as great as is being made out?

I actually find both of them pretty funny but the number of comedians (and regular people) who cite Louis C.K. as the number one guy surprises me. 

I don't get the hype around Louis C.K.

He's pretty funny but nowhere near the messiah of comedy he's made out to be.

Ditto Bill Hicks.

Both have their moments but they mistake anger for funny a lot of the time, which other comedians seem to revere. Neither gets anywhere near the genius of Mitch Hedberg.

Confession: I can't really get into fantasy or sci-fi at all.

I include in this stuff like Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, all that stuff.

It's not like I don't have an imagination, I just can't deal with elves and ewoks and all that patter. I just prefer convincing stories. Does that make me dense, or...?

That said, I like 'The Metamorphosis' even though it's entirely bizarre. And surrealism I can deal with. Just not GoT or whatever.

I include in this stuff like Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, all that stuff.

It's not like I don't have an imagination, I just can't deal with elves and ewoks and all that patter. I just prefer convincing stories. Does that make me dense, or...?

That said, I like 'The Metamorphosis' even though it's entirely bizarre. And surrealism I can deal with. Just not GoT or whatever.

My wife is the same (though she likes GoT). She just can't deal with Sci-Fi on any level, no matter how funny, well written or directed the TV series or film may be. As soon as she sees a spaceship or alien she just completely switches off.  She's the same with comic-book movies and TV series too.  Won't even attempt to watch them anymore.

I agree with all of that, although again I'm into Game of Thrones and I like The Walking Dead. Basically, I like stuff that could conceivably happen, or be explained by real things (such as disease causing zombification) but not really magic, aliens or spaceships. I know there is magic in GoT btw, but I'll get over it.

ditto. Although for me, it's not really the 'beyond the realms of possibility' aspect to it (i'll happily watch something that has a high-concept, that could never happen, like... dunno Shallow Hal or something (bad example but you get the point))

I always feel when I try watch something of the fantasy/sci-fi/superhero genres that i'm missing something that everyone else is completely aware of. As if i'm meant to know the significance of names, places, etc before it's made obvious to me. It's almost as if you can't just watch these things on their own, you need to nerd up on the original comic/series/book/whatever.

I even watched the original Batman movies recently and got that same feeling. The Joker just pops on screen and I felt like I was meant to know what his back story is. I mean, it's somewhat explained later on but it seems like a tacked-on part of the movie.

Same. I like sci-fi (time travel is dope) but fantasy makes me cringe. I can't stand Lord of the Rings either and nothing appeals about Game of Thrones. I think part of it is being unable to relate to it at all. Although I feel that way about period drama type stuff, too. 

Edited by kirsten