aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

That is how I sit generally, but at some point I slide down into a slouch and when I notice, I correct it. I think my posture is generally okay - I don't want to be a sloucher but can't seem to stop it.

It's called REM. It's common in office workers. Especially in Oil &Gas industry. Do you do that line of work? It's not only onshore office workers that get it though....very very common offshore.

Teeth shouldn't really itch, probably a sign that they need removed.  I suggest a bit of string tied to a heavy door.

It probably is just itchy gums, but it feels like itchy teeth. It's a horrible feeling. I'm tempted to just pull them out as they're back teeth and won't hamper my gorgeous smile.

There are two types, one is daily one is stronger and for short-term use. Make sure you follow the instructions carefully because using the wrong one (short-term) for an extended period (daily) can cause your teeth to stain quite badly.

My dentist advised rinsing your mouth with water afterwards to avoid the staining.

How do I stop sliding down my chair at work?

I constantly find myself slouched like some sort of sloth at my desk with my chin almost touching my desk.  I never notice myself sliding down my chair, nor do I do I intentionally slouch like that, nor am I wearing a shiny slidy suit or anything ridiculous like that.

However, every so often, I have to make a conscious effort to push myself back up in my chair and sit up straight.

Not sure how appropriate it'd be for your workplace but maybe try a stand up desk? There's a guy I work with who keeps a wee ikea table under his desk that he puts on top of his desk for a couple of hours a day and stands up to work. It's seemingly working wonders for his back.

Not sure how appropriate it'd be for your workplace but maybe try a stand up desk? There's a guy I work with who keeps a wee ikea table under his desk that he puts on top of his desk for a couple of hours a day and stands up to work. It's seemingly working wonders for his back.

I like that idea. I hate the fact that I sit on my arse for a long time. There was a guy in an office I worked in years ago who had an actual stand up desk. He had a chair - more like a bar stool kind of idea that he would occasionally use to rest his legs but he stood for most of the day.

But - can't imagine my work entertaining that. I think that guy had a genuine reason for standing up rather than just not liking sitting down. I'm out of here in a couple of months in any case so a foot rest is about as much as I'll get I think.

I can't work out how to tip the front of my seat up a bit as suggested by someone earlier. I've fucked about with all the levers etc and my seat is less comfortable than it was before. I'll have to have another fuck about with it shortly...

We got new seats when we moved into this office a couple of years ago and were never shown how to use the various bits. The lumbar support feels like a piece of wood resting against my lower back. It's not tremendous.

Is that not the point though? A seat that's uncomfortable in a 'slouching' position which forces you to adopt better posture?

I'm not sure.

I think the problem is I can't look at myself when I'm sitting here so I'm not sure if I'm doing it right or not.

I need one of those workstation assessments which I've not had for about a million years.  I've never had one at this job.

I think I may have worked it out.  The bottom of the seat rest felt like it was pushing my arse forward when I really thought about it.  I've lowered my seat a bit so that it's easier to get my feet flat on the floor straight down and the lumbar support thing is moveable at the back - I've moved it up a bit so it's above my arse now - think that was the main problem.

We'll see.  I'll probably still find myself half under my desk in half an hour...

We got new seats when we moved into this office a couple of years ago and were never shown how to use the various bits. The lumbar support feels like a piece of wood resting against my lower back. It's not tremendous.

Your company didn't splash out on a professional trainer to come in and show you how to work your chair?  Times is tough!

You know - I used to think the workstation assessment thing was stupid - there are a couple of levers on your chair, one to go up and down, one to move your backrest.

These new chairs are a bit weird with lots of moving parts etc.  No instructions etc.  I think I've finally cracked it - but I've been sitting in this chair for 18 months...

But yes - very boring chat.

But, I appear to have got what I want from the Quick Questions thread.  A victory for the people.

As you were.

• Upvote 2