aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

I applied for a job this morning and on the application they asked for my sexual orientation. Is that legal?

depends on the circumstances of the job, maybe if it was working with single sex vulnerable children then I think they are entitled to know as for safety reasons but for example if you applied for a job at your local Burger King then that question is completely irrelevant and you wouldn't be legally obliged to fill it out
  • Downvote 4

It was for a bank. Maybe they think gay guys can't count properly because they're daydreaming about dicks all day.

There was an option for "Prefer not to disclose", I was just surprised to find it on the application.

tbh that's probably why I only have a general level maths qualification

It probably is something like that, it was in amongst the "Do you consider yourself to have a disability" stuff. I've never seen that on an application before though. It seemed really strange to me. I wish there was a box so I could have typed in "Bend over and I'll show you".

I applied for a job this morning and on the application they asked for my sexual orientation. Is that legal?

In the UK it's perfectly legal to ask for monitoring purposes, companies have to demonstrate (if challenged) that they're trying to attract a wide range of demographics and complying with anti-discrimination legislation. However it's up to you whether you fill it in or not, usually it'll be on a separate piece of paper with questions on disability and ethnic origin.

Unsure what the laws are in Poland.

Edited by colb

depends on the circumstances of the job, maybe if it was working with single sex vulnerable children then I think they are entitled to know as for safety reasons but for example if you applied for a job at your local Burger King then that question is completely irrelevant and you wouldn't be legally obliged to fill it out

Safety reasons?

It's paedophiles that are a risk to children, not the gays. Surely that's something you should know, having just joined.

Edited by colb
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

All gay men are paedophiles.  Surely everyone knows that...

I hadn't realised we were still living in an age where people (of all people, a gay man) still thought that.  I mean, we are okay with giving jobs to hetrosexual adults to work with children of the opposite sex, but don't put a gay man near a boy or he will definitely abuse him.

Holy fuck.

holy shit.

no I'm not, I've seen in certain job vacancies where dealing with vulnerable children. If it's a vulnerable girl I'm sure You's would rather have a woman or a gay guy.

What the fuck?

The human race isn't a collection of people just waiting for their opportunity to prey on vulnerable young people.

This isn't really a quick question but I didn't think it worthy of it's own thread and couldn't think of anywhere else for it. Maybe we need a Quick Music Questions thread. Anyway.

I found myself reminiscing today about how much I used to like Mylo, and figured there was probably a ton of his stuff I hadn't heard, so I went and looked him up on Spotify and he hasn't released anything in ten years. What happened to him? There's nothing on his Wikipedia page either. It's like he just vanished.