aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

If you don't work your full notice period, what can your employer actually do? like if I said "I know I have to give a months' notice but I'm only giving you a week". Other than drag their heels and be a bit difficult, they can't really do much can they?

They can refuse to give you a reference.

It's technically breach of contract, but they probably won't do anything about it except be pissed off at you because court is expensive.  It's always nice to not burn bridges though.

Yeah... I do always try to leave jobs on good terms but this lot can get fucked.

The reference thing could be an issue in the future and it's probably not good for any future employer to hear that you left a job on bad terms, but if availability is the difference between being offered another job or not then I might just have to. Anyway, I haven't been offered the other job yet so I should stop jinxing it.

I didn't work my notice when I worked at Morrisons when I was 17, and I ended up not getting my final pay. It should only have been for about 4 days work. They said it was because I breached the contract. I dunno how legal that was, but I was 17, so I didn't really care.

Don't get jammed out of your final pay.

I didn't work my notice when I worked at Morrisons when I was 17, and I ended up not getting my final pay. It should only have been for about 4 days work. They said it was because I breached the contract. I dunno how legal that was, but I was 17, so I didn't really care.

Don't get jammed out of your final pay.

I'm pretty sure that's illegal, they have to pay you for what you worked, though technically I owe this lot hours so I think they'd probably dock me a couple of days at least, and I'd imagine they'd pocket any holiday pay I'm due.

I'm sure it is illegal. But I'd probably have had to have to take them to court to get it, where it would have come to light that I breached the contract. I also didn't know if they would bring up the amount of food I stole, which was alot.

That's expected in supermarkets. "Whoops, I accidentally sliced open this multipack of Lion Bars with my box knife, better put in into wastage and write it in the *omnomnomnomnomnomnom*"

That's expected in supermarkets. "Whoops, I accidentally sliced open this multipack of Lion Bars with my box knife, better put in into wastage and write it in the *omnomnomnomnomnomnom*"

Too right, or the night-shift classic: "Hey look, tomorrow's pre-packed sandwiches. I better eat some". Everybody does that, right?

When i worked in a certain cash and carry i used to hide entire boxes of crisps behind the shelves, and just use them for snacks every day. I have a fine little Aladdin's cave of treats hidden away by the end. I walked out of that job one lunch time, it would have been funny to be the person that finally came across it all. Wonder if they knew it was me as well. 

• Upvote 1

If you don't work your full notice period, what can your employer actually do? like if I said "I know I have to give a months' notice but I'm only giving you a week". Other than drag their heels and be a bit difficult, they can't really do much can they?

If you leave without giving your full notice the most likely outcome is that they'll dismiss you for breaching any attendance policy they may have - and then tell people that they sacked you. They have to pay you for every day you've worked and any outstanding holiday pay though.

However resign by email and keep a paper trail and this problem goes away - you can prove that you resigned before anything else happened. Generally I find that notice periods are very negotiable and pretty much every company will be flexible as long as you are straight up with them - asking for a reduced notice period is pretty common.

There is no obligation for any employer to give a reference unless it's in your contract or required by a regulatory body. References these days are a nonsense, 99% of companies will only confirm start and finish date of employment and job title - no matter what the circumstances of your leaving are. You might get a little more info from a line manager, but if you give your HR Manager as a reference thats all they'll give out.

If you leave without giving your full notice the most likely outcome is that they'll dismiss you for breaching any attendance policy they may have - and then tell people that they sacked you. They have to pay you for every day you've worked and any outstanding holiday pay though.

However resign by email and keep a paper trail and this problem goes away - you can prove that you resigned before anything else happened. Generally I find that notice periods are very negotiable and pretty much every company will be flexible as long as you are straight up with them - asking for a reduced notice period is pretty common.

There is no obligation for any employer to give a reference unless it's in your contract or required by a regulatory body. References these days are a nonsense, 99% of companies will only confirm start and finish date of employment and job title - no matter what the circumstances of your leaving are. You might get a little more info from a line manager, but if you give your HR Manager as a reference thats all they'll give out.

Cool. Good info. Thanks.

I'm actually still in my probationary period so they may well waive the full months notice if I ask. My line manager will sulk because I'm his blue-eyed boy but I doubt anyone else will give a fuck tbh.

When i worked in a certain cash and carry i used to hide entire boxes of crisps behind the shelves, and just use them for snacks every day. I have a fine little Aladdin's cave of treats hidden away by the end. I walked out of that job one lunch time, it would have been funny to be the person that finally came across it all. Wonder if they knew it was me as well.

Crisps and sweeties and juice are fair game. Everyone does that. I used to work with a guy though who used to stash bottles of whisky and vodka in the warehouse in empty boxes. At the end of the night we'd put all the bins and rubbish out the back and he'd sneak his boxes out amongst the rubbish, then come back after the shop closed and pick them up. That's a place that needed security cameras.

Normally if you're within your probationary period the notice period is shorter than a full month (mostly a week) - worth double checking what your situation is. It'll likely be under the 'probation' section of your employment contract, rather than the 'notice' section.

Edited by Adam Easy Wishes

Cool. Good info. Thanks.

I'm actually still in my probationary period so they may well waive the full months notice if I ask. My line manager will sulk because I'm his blue-eyed boy but I doubt anyone else will give a fuck tbh.

If you're in your probationary period then you don't get a reference anyway, and you can basically walk out at any time - although the notice period is usually a week. 

Cool. Good info. Thanks.

Have you not been there for a while now?  How long was your probationary period?

If you're in your probationary period then you don't get a reference anyway, and you can basically walk out at any time - although the notice period is usually a week. 

This isn't true. There are a number of reasons for leaving a job while still in a probationary period that would mean you'd want and be given a reference. And although the notice period is generally shorter, it's usually at least a week.

While it's not particularly enforceable and there's no real penalties, it's still a breach of a contract of employment to walk out at any time without giving the notice you've agreed to give.

Edited by colb