aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Excellent. Though it seems valves aren't cheap. But I guess it must still be a lot cheaper than paying someone to unplug a valve and plug in a new one.

I know you should always swap out sets of power valves. Do I need to swap out all the pre-amps as well?  Or can I just find out which one is causing the problem and swap that one?  Looking on stringsdirect they only sell pre-amp valves individually, not in sets.  I also found a video of a guy tapping a pre-amp valve with a pencil with the amp switched on to find out which one is microphonic. Is that a good idea or will I get a massive electrical shock?

I am in need of a switch tip for my Stratocaster, does Imported Instruments, R&B Music, or somewhere else in town sell such a thing?

(this sort of thing - http://www.allparts.com/Switch-Knobs_c_570-2-3.html )

Dunno, you'll have to give them a phone.  Alternatively, axesrus will not charge you postage and if you get the order in this morning you might have it tomorrow.

http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Lever-Blade-Switch-s/1946.htm

If I don't need to rebias the tubes (apparently it's not necessary in a dual terror) is swapping out tubes a simple job I could do myself? 

My amp's making a hoor of a noise, possibly due to a microphonic pre or power tube.  Never been replaced in the 3 and a half years I've owned it but I can't be arsed taking it to Dunfermline to the ONLY GUY IN SCOTLAND that seems to fix valve amps.

Yes - it's pretty easy. Bluebell Audio in Dundee will also do it for you (or talk you through it over the phone - dude's pretty helpful). If it doesn't need biasing then there's nothing to worry about. 

Excellent. Though it seems valves aren't cheap. But I guess it must still be a lot cheaper than paying someone to unplug a valve and plug in a new one.

I know you should always swap out sets of power valves. Do I need to swap out all the pre-amps as well?  Or can I just find out which one is causing the problem and swap that one?  Looking on stringsdirect they only sell pre-amp valves individually, not in sets.  I also found a video of a guy tapping a pre-amp valve with a pencil with the amp switched on to find out which one is microphonic. Is that a good idea or will I get a massive electrical shock?

Pre-amp valves don't need to be matched. Tapping a valve with a pencil won't kill you.

• Upvote 1

I'm having a problem with my external hard drive. A friend of mine had it for a while and I just recently got it back and today tried to use it for the first time. However the drive is not appearing in my computer. It is appearing in Devices and printers and properties says the device is working normally. I've gone into disk manager and it's showing the disk as not initialised and unallocated and it won't let me initialise disk. I did a bit of googling but didn't really understand what I read but I did get the impression it might be fucked. 

Any ideas?

I'm having a problem with my external hard drive. A friend of mine had it for a while and I just recently got it back and today tried to use it for the first time. However the drive is not appearing in my computer. It is appearing in Devices and printers and properties says the device is working normally. I've gone into disk manager and it's showing the disk as not initialised and unallocated and it won't let me initialise disk. I did a bit of googling but didn't really understand what I read but I did get the impression it might be fucked. 

Any ideas?

Bothered about any of the content that might have been on there previously?

If you're lucky, it's just the partition table that's gone a bit funny.  Perhaps a tool like this might help:

http://download.cnet.com/MiniTool-Partition-Wizard-Home-Edition/3000-2094_4-10962200.html?tag=dropDownForm;productListing;pop

BE VERY CAREFUL - tools like these can easily render your computer inoperable.  Make sure you're looking at the correct disc before you do ANYTHING.

Try the Partition Recovery Wizard and scan the whole disk - see what happens.  It won't help you if the drive is physically damaged in some unfortunately strategic place.

My ancient laptop keeps overheating and even when it's just sitting on a table the cooling fans are constantly whirring away. It's become so slow now that its almost unusable. I know its old but why would this suddenly start happening?

Try taking a hoover to the cooling vents and see if that makes any difference.

Try taking a hoover to the cooling vents and see if that makes any difference.

I went one step further, dismantled the bastard and got right in about at the fans. It's running like a dream again, and SO QUIET. Never attempted to repair a computer before so a little bit fucking chuffed with myself right now  :p Had to take the back and front covers off, the keyboard, unhook some wires etc, only aided by a WikiHow article. 

Incidentally, this was the problem.

BMLt0WXCYAArkrS.jpg

I went one step further, dismantled the bastard and got right in about at the fans. It's running like a dream again, and SO QUIET. Never attempted to repair a computer before so a little bit fucking chuffed with myself right now  :p Had to take the back and front covers off, the keyboard, unhook some wires etc, only aided by a WikiHow article. 

Incidentally, this was the problem.

BMLt0WXCYAArkrS.jpg

Hiding some eccies under the table as well.

Vague memories of a TV show in the 90s where members of the public played against video games "experts" at SNES and Sega Megadrive games. One of the experts was a little kid called Master Moriarty. Anyone know what the hell I'm talking about?

EDIT - I don't think it was GamesMaster, I think it was a different show altogether.