aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Nice! Did you give reasons in the letter as to why you thought you had overpaid, or any other relevant details?

Or was it just a 'please check you taxed me correctly, k thx bye'?

This

If not could you make a template of your letter, I'm shit at writing letters.

Nice! Did you give reasons in the letter as to why you thought you had overpaid, or any other relevant details?

Or was it just a 'please check you taxed me correctly, k thx bye'?

I basically told them I, like many others, recently received my P60, and having calculated my tax payment for last year using HMRC's tax calculator on their website, I was due a rebate. Additionally, due to pursuing other things, I was working temporary assignments via employment agencies, during which I was always allocated emergency tax codes, so I asked them to back check my tax payments and inform me if I was due any refund or whether I was due to pay them anything.

They sent me a cheque for the amount due, and also send me the calculation sheets for each tax year for the past three years so far. No further questions asked. All I provided them with was my PAYE reference number, my NI number, my address, and my tax code. The details on the P60, basically. I suspect those on long-term employment will have less need to claim, but anyone who has changed jobs in the past few years may want to write to them and ask if they are due a rebate.

It was a pretty good feeling receiving that cheque. It opens a number of opportunities for me, which I couldn't really consider before I got the money back.

• Upvote 2

Get in. Writing to HMRC gets shit done, with pretty much everything. I've tried to update my details with them using their godawful website, and on the phone. They just don't work. You have to write to them, like it's the 1980's. They probably prioritise letters written in biro over typed ones too, written on the back of the letter they sent you.

Depends on the policy...you usually have to declare any portable goods that you wish to be covered. Do you recall doing this at the time you took the insurance out?

I don't actually have the insurance yet. Taking it out in the next couple months mostly to cover my missus' engagement ring. Getting a new iPhone tonight though and just wondering if it is worth taking the phone insurance if it'll be covered in my future H&C. I may just take it out anyway, I suppose if the H&C covers it I can just cancel it again.

Speaking of phones

Thinking about getting the Galaxy S4 when my upgrade is due next month, I know it just came out but does anyone on here have it yet? Any complaints?

Edit: sorry to get all Little Green with the phone chat

Edited by ca_gere
  • Upvote 1

Guest Cool Thinker

Why do most people pack their bags on their bed?

Can someone please tell me correct use of "There", "Their" and the third one?

Because if it was on the floor you'd have to bend over when you were packing it.

There - used for there is, there are etc. eg there are several shit threads in this forum. Or my house is over there.

Their - possessive or belonging to. Like its their turn, they are going to their house.

They're - short for they are. They're going on holiday. They're going to their house which is over there.

Guest Cool Thinker

Because if it was on the floor you'd have to bend over when you were packing it.

There - used for there is, there are etc. eg there are several shit threads in this forum. Or my house is over there.

Their - possessive or belonging to. Like its their turn, they are going to their house.

They're - short for they are. They're going on holiday. They're going to their house which is over there.

Thanks, I have the English qualifications but correct grammar does not really come into the exam system anymore.

Can someone please recommend a decent, non-clunky, streamlined audio player for windows? Something that has a nice simple organiser and whatnot. Preferably something just for audio, as I don't really watch any videos on my laptop. Windows and Apple seem to lock horns over who can produce the most godawful, memory hogging, screen freezing dogshit audio decoder imaginable, and it's neck and neck. iTunes is a hellhole, and WMP is just makes absolutely no sense.

Is Winamp still any good? Are there any others?

All of this should be bold, but it's not, because fuck you.

Can someone please recommend a decent, non-clunky, streamlined audio player for windows? Something that has a nice simple organiser and whatnot. Preferably something just for audio, as I don't really watch any videos on my laptop. Windows and Apple seem to lock horns over who can produce the most godawful, memory hogging, screen freezing dogshit audio decoder imaginable, and it's neck and neck. iTunes is a hellhole, and WMP is just makes absolutely no sense.

Is Winamp still any good? Are there any others?

All of this should be bold, but it's not, because fuck you.

I still use Winamp at work and as far as I'm concerned it still manages to whip the llama's ass.  I use VLC on Ubuntu at home, but that's for vids as well.