aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

I think the main problem is with the Aug-May matches. Our climate and roads suit a winter break much better.

Plus, I'm fed up of opposition managers saying it is a disgrace that their club has to travel all the way up to Inverness on a cold, snowy day... completely ignoring the fact that ICT have to travel the same journey to the central belt and back every fortnight during winter!

TShould be a 16 team league playing each other twice, none of this dicking about with splits. Instead of worrying about losing the attendance from 2 home games against the old firm they should be more worried about the fact that Aberdeen vs Hearts only attracted 8000 fans. Get attendances up across the whole season and it doesn't matter if you only play Rangers once at home.
Aah, I see.

Couldn't agree more. Dundee, Dunfermline, Partick Thistle, Falkirk, Raith Rovers all have stadia to meet SPL criteria, for a start (I choose five because of Dundee's problems and there are probably more in that league that I'm unsure of).

Just get them involved.

Amen :cheers:

It's so obvious to us, how can the SPL not see it. JUST MAKE THE LEAGUE BIGGER. STOP FUCKING AROUND WITH SPLITS.

A fee of 50 million was mentioned in the paper today from Man City plus 50 million in wages. Thing is the way its going you could see City overtaking United. It's an interesting scenario. Fergie is notorious for not taking any shit and we could see Rooney reduced to being a sub. If Hernandez and Berbetov can start firing that might well be the case. Its bad timing in any case cos its a long time till the transfer window opens. And week by week Rooney's reputation (as a footballer) is going down the pan. But we all know what he's capable off and he's still young.

The most baffling aspect of this is that Fergie and Gill knew in August, with 2 weeks to go in the summer window, that Rooney didn't want to re-sign. There'd be none of this value-dropping because of his contract coming to an end if they'd have flogged him then. Would have had ample opportunity to replace him too. Wesley Sneijder was refusing to re-sign to Inter at that time as well. Could have even done a straight swap. Get the ungrateful twit out of England into a league that gets minimal coverage over here. Gone.

The SPL should split into playoffs, like Yank sports. The top half of teams are all put against each other. Knockout football. Anyone can win it. I reckon that's the only way to try and get non-Old Firm clubs winning the title. OF would still dominate, but I don't think it would be as much of a whitewash.

Still, the SPL isn't as bad as La Liga yet. It's ridiculous that third placed Valencia, last season, were closer to the relegation zone than Real Madrid.

At least La Liga seems competitive again this year with the top four being separated by 1 point and Athletico Madrid only 3 points back from there. That said, Real are looking proper scary after a sluggish start, they just don't concede goals anymore and yesterday's win against Milan was a classic Mourinho team performance - get 2-0 up hella quickly and then sit on it.

The Bundesliga is all over the place at the moment, last years top 3 of Bayern Munich, Schalke 04 and Werder Bremen are currently 10th, 16th and 11th respectively. Almost makes me want to watch it on ESPN. Then I remember that I don't want to pay for ESPN and I should probably spend less time watching sport anyway.

Still, the SPL isn't as bad as La Liga yet. It's ridiculous that third placed Valencia, last season, were closer to the relegation zone than Real Madrid.

I think it's more a case of La Liga has been getting worse but isn't quite as bad as the SPL yet. The last couple of years in La Liga have been extreme seasons but these happen. In the premiership in 04-05 Everton in 4th place were closer to the relegation zone than top spot.

In the last ten years La Liga and the Premiership have had 3 winners and the SPL two, there's not really a whole lot of competition for the top spot in any of the major leagues.

And with it only being a few years ago Barcelona struggled to finish 4th you could argue that La Liga has had more variation in the top places than premiership. (Up until the last couple of years).

That's all going a bit off topic but my point is, it's either way overstating the problems of La Liga or underestimating the problems of the SPL to say the situation in Scotland isn't as bad yet when it's been over 20 years since a non Old-Firm team won the title.

I think it's more a case of La Liga has been getting worse but isn't quite as bad as the SPL yet. The last couple of years in La Liga have been extreme seasons but these happen. In the premiership in 04-05 Everton in 4th place were closer to the relegation zone than top spot.

In the last ten years La Liga and the Premiership have had 3 winners and the SPL two, there's not really a whole lot of competition for the top spot in any of the major leagues.

And with it only being a few years ago Barcelona struggled to finish 4th you could argue that La Liga has had more variation in the top places than premiership. (Up until the last couple of years).

That's all going a bit off topic but my point is, it's either way overstating the problems of La Liga or underestimating the problems of the SPL to say the situation in Scotland isn't as bad yet when it's been over 20 years since a non Old-Firm team won the title.

My dig at La Liga was mostly a bit tongue in cheek. It seems to be that most top flights in Europe are in a bit of a mess and have been for ages, though this season seems to be shaping up quite excitingly in a few countries, with Barca not really hitting top gear, Man United falling apart and getting older, and the Bundesliga giants being rubbish. It probably won't continue too much longer, but hopefully it will.

Just been listening to Talksport and Lou Macari reckons Rooney is purely motivated by money and that's why he's leaving Man U. Wouldn't surprise me in the least. Rooney isn't the brighest of chaps and could easily being manipulated by his agent into wanting a move elsewhere where he (and of course the agent) can get a better deal.

Wonder what the purple one is going to do with him now? Keep him on the bench for now? Or drop him altogether?

That's why they're changing it, but because it's 14 teams then they can't have 7 and 7 so it's going to be top 6 and a bottom 8. They'll be the same number of home and away games but the bottom 8 will play more games in the season.

I suppose the argument is that the top 6 are more likely to be involved in latter stages of cup competitions and europ so they'll play more games anyway, but it still seems fucking stupid to me. Should be a 16 team league playing each other twice, none of this dicking about with splits. Instead of worrying about losing the attendance from 2 home games against the old firm they should be more worried about the fact that Aberdeen vs Hearts only attracted 8000 fans. Get attendances up across the whole season and it doesn't matter if you only play Rangers once at home.

And having Hun supporters visiting your ground less will save clubs a fortune on Rentokil fees.

Agree with the above. It's beautifully simple to do, the bottom SPL club gets relegated and the top 5 in the Firstie come up. Admit two more clubs to the SFL for a 14-team division 1 and 2. Job's a good 'un.

:)

Modric is mega too, but he had to be sacrificed becaise of the goalie seeing red.

Tom Hundredstone is also becoming a very reasonable footballer too. One of those players who only knows how to score great goals, and not shit goals. Like Nani. He'd probably hoof the ball away for a throw in before scoring a tap in.

shame about the rest of tottenham.

Absolute nonsense. We were playing the European Champions for gods sake. Spurs have a very good squad and some world class players and are just getting a taste of champions league football. Not everyone goes from relegation candidates straight to european competitors without a bit of squad building and ups and downs.