aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Absolute nonsense. We were playing the European Champions for gods sake. Spurs have a very good squad and some world class players and are just getting a taste of champions league football. Not everyone goes from relegation candidates straight to european competitors without a bit of squad building and ups and downs.

i didn't even see the whole game phil, it was just a throwaway comment based on the last 20 minutes i managed to catch. bale was good, nothing much else happend and you were 4-0 down in the first half. european champions or not it doesn't create a great impression of spurs champions league credentials.

I reckon its fair, he has played on the left all the time for Real Madrid, and it seems to be have given him a whole new dynamic to his game, in the same way that Robben cuts inside onto his best foot. It's not his natural position, but Left Wing also isn't Bale's natural position, considering he was originally a full back.

i didn't even see the whole game phil, it was just a throwaway comment based on the last 20 minutes i managed to catch. bale was good, nothing much else happend and you were 4-0 down in the first half. european champions or not it doesn't create a great impression of spurs champions league credentials.

What? Staging a fight back from 4-0 down with 10 men and ending the game 4-3? C'mon not many teams would manage that easily. To go from the worst possible start you could imagine to pulling back to just a one goal deficit is pretty good when you've had one man less from the 8th minute onwards.

Inter could horse anyone on any given day. I would say that the result, while not ideal, did actually show a great amount of strength of character from the squad and particularly from Bale. Lennon and Jenas both played out of their skins too.

2 right wingers (Johnson tends to be played on the right by Mancini) and a central midfielder.

AdJo is a lefty, and has played alot on the left wing, probably more than he has on the right in his career. He counts.

I don't know who the central midfielder is out of those two. Everything I've seen from Afellay and Marin has come from the left wing.

Left side of attack in a 4-3-3. He tucks in when Real don't have the ball, like you'd expect from a 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation. Definitely a winger.

I guess, but he's not playing the same role as Bale though.

I'm not questioning Ronaldo's abilities or class as the guy is clearly one of the most talented footballers in the game now but he's more of a forward than a winger really.

Left side of attack in a 4-3-3. He tucks in when Real don't have the ball, like you'd expect from a 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation. Definitely a winger.

I'd go with this too, unless Phil you are meaning a traditional 4-4-2 formation. And if that is the case (excluding Ribery's absence due to lack of playing time) I'd still say Malouda was better playing on the left side of midfield than Gareth Bale.

My original post wasn't a go at Gareth Bale, who is a great young footballer, it was a go at the pundit fuddery of Andy fucking Townsend.

AdJo is a lefty, and has played alot on the left wing, probably more than he has on the right in his career. He counts.

I don't know who the central midfielder is out of those two. Everything I've seen from Afellay and Marin has come from the left wing.

Marin plays on the right for Bremen usually. I know he can play on the left as i've seen him come on as a sub and slot in there but Aaron Hunt took over from Ozil on the left hand side of the 4-5-1 that Bremen play. Seen it plenty. I watch a lot of Bundesliga.

Afellay tends to play a similar free attacking midfield role to Schneider and Modric. But yes he is left footed and he has played on the wing and is a good player.

I'd go with this too, unless Phil you are meaning a traditional 4-4-2 formation. And if that is the case (excluding Ribery's absence due to lack of playing time) I'd still say Malouda was better playing on the left side of midfield than Gareth Bale.

My original post wasn't a go at Gareth Bale, who is a great young footballer, it was a go at the pundit fuddery of Andy fucking Townsend.

I'm talking about players who are playing as an out and out left winger at the moment. Of those mentioned the only ones who are are Bale, Malouda and Ribery. Ribery has played 4 games this season and has been struggling since before the WC with injuries. Malouda is a good, solid player but i wouldn't say he was better than Bale. They're pretty tight to call at the moment.

Gareth Bale is an outstanding footballer but I don't think he can be called "one of the best in the world" just yet. Malouda is a player who has really blossomed over the last twelve months and I'd say he's on a different level to Bale at the moment. You could argue Angel Di Maria and Pedro too. Juan Mata?

What? Staging a fight back from 4-0 down with 10 men and ending the game 4-3? C'mon not many teams would manage that easily. To go from the worst possible start you could imagine to pulling back to just a one goal deficit is pretty good when you've had one man less from the 8th minute onwards.

Inter could horse anyone on any given day. I would say that the result, while not ideal, did actually show a great amount of strength of character from the squad and particularly from Bale. Lennon and Jenas both played out of their skins too.

stop taking the internet seriously! you don't need to be so defensive about everything. it was a throwaway joke comment and i've already said i didn't see the whole game.

i'll take your word for it that tottenham are a finely balanced squad of world beaters.