aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Apparently it's purely money. There is some speculation on talkSPORT that it's very possible that Rooney has already agreed a stupidly large contract elsewhere. And some people seem to be speaking with some authority about that.

Surely if that's true, when it comes to light they'd be in a lot of trouble for even looking at Rooney?

Apparently it's purely money. There is some speculation on talkSPORT that it's very possible that Rooney has already agreed a stupidly large contract elsewhere. And some people seem to be speaking with some authority about that.

David Gill himself said that he offered Rooney a contract back in August which "would be difficult to be matched anywhere", which indicates it's BIG WONGA.

I think he's struggled for a partnership last term. Rooney and Saha were immense together, and when Saha's injuries kicked in, Rooney forged a duo with Ronaldo which was even better. When Ronaldo and Tevez left, he didn't have anything quite like that again. He says he likes to be up top on his own, but really I don't think he likes to be relied on. He also really fucking hates Nani. You can just tell.

Back in March, he also said he was at the best club in the world, and never wanted to leave. The guy is just a fucking fruit loop.

You can see Man Utd going tits up the moment Sir Purple One jacks it in. There's even rumours going around that this is the beginning of the end for the gum chewing Scotsman. I hear the financial situation at Man U is pretty poor thanks the Glaziers. Wonder who they're getting lined up? My money is on Jose or Eric Cantona!

In any case I think it's a great story. For now they are lumped with each other. It might all calm down in a couple of weeks. We shall see.

Jose is the man, and if history is anything to go by, Mourinho could win the League, the Champions League, The World Cup, the Eurovision Song contest and the Superbowl and still get the sack from Madrid, so he could be at United at some point, but I can't imagine he'll want to be there if United are spiralling downwards and have financial restraints.

If it wasn't for the interest payments on the Glazers debt, United would make the highest pre-tax profit in world football by a considerable margin, so it really is clear as day just how badly the Glazers are damaging the club.

Well well, I went to work thinking there was some truth in the story but the papers were likely blowing it all out of proportion as usual. I was quite surprised to read about that press conference when I got home.

I'm not sure I can see him at City or Real but also I can't see any other club buying him. Moving to city would be kind of hilarious, maybe a united fan would throw a pig's head at him ala Figo.

How much do you think he'll go for? The publicity around the situation means that clubs know they don't have to spend silly money to force him out. Although City and Real could still try and outbid each other with crazy amounts. But I expect him to go for something like 35m. (I've just realised I've suggested 35m isn't silly money for a football player, modern football eh?)

I'm 90% certain Mourinho will go to United one day. Which is a shame because I love him, he's awesome and possibly my favourite person in all of football. But he keeps going to clubs I hate and even worse he makes me kind of like them. I'd probably be happy for Liverpool to win if Jose was their boss.

I've just seen highlights of tonight's games, a few cracking goals. Zhirkov and Wilshere both scored great goals. Wilshere is looking more and more immense. Wenger may have just kept Cesc for long enough before Wilshere can take over his role.

SSN have just gone into a bit of depth about the possible move, and it seems like moving for money can be ruled out, as no matter what City offer him per week, it seems that he will always earn more through "image rights" playing for United than City.

I personally quite like Rooney, as a footballer but not as a human. I think I would lose any bit of respect I have for him if he proved to be so ridiculously disloyal yet again.

A fee of 50 million was mentioned in the paper today from Man City plus 50 million in wages. Thing is the way its going you could see City overtaking United. It's an interesting scenario. Fergie is notorious for not taking any shit and we could see Rooney reduced to being a sub. If Hernandez and Berbetov can start firing that might well be the case. Its bad timing in any case cos its a long time till the transfer window opens. And week by week Rooney's reputation (as a footballer) is going down the pan. But we all know what he's capable off and he's still young.

Jesus. The current split is fucked anyway. Clubs should play each other twice (home and away), split and then play each other in their group twice again (home and away). If they're going to persevere with the split then they can't randomly assign games so you play an uneven amount of home and away games. It's just ludicrous.

Jesus. The current split is fucked anyway. Clubs should play each other twice (home and away), split and then play each other in their group twice again (home and away). If they're going to persevere with the split then they can't randomly assign games so you play an uneven amount of home and away games. It's just ludicrous.

That's why they're changing it, but because it's 14 teams then they can't have 7 and 7 so it's going to be top 6 and a bottom 8. They'll be the same number of home and away games but the bottom 8 will play more games in the season.

I suppose the argument is that the top 6 are more likely to be involved in latter stages of cup competitions and europ so they'll play more games anyway, but it still seems fucking stupid to me. Should be a 16 team league playing each other twice, none of this dicking about with splits. Instead of worrying about losing the attendance from 2 home games against the old firm they should be more worried about the fact that Aberdeen vs Hearts only attracted 8000 fans. Get attendances up across the whole season and it doesn't matter if you only play Rangers once at home.

Aah, I see.

Should be a 16 team league playing each other twice, none of this dicking about with splits.

Couldn't agree more. Dundee, Dunfermline, Partick Thistle, Falkirk, Raith Rovers all have stadia to meet SPL criteria, for a start (I choose five because of Dundee's problems and there are probably more in that league that I'm unsure of).

Just get them involved.

Instead of worrying about losing the attendance from 2 home games against the old firm they should be more worried about the fact that Aberdeen vs Hearts only attracted 8000 fans. Get attendances up across the whole season and it doesn't matter if you only play Rangers once at home.

Bang on with this. There just seems to be such a short term vision in getting the money in, I suppose they need to survive but it would be nice to see a strategy put in place to improve the game in the long term rather than where the next meal is going to come from.

Scottish football is never going to be of the highest standard but the fans want entertainment and watch teams trying to win rather than setting up not to lose.

Chris is right about the league reconstruction: 16 teams playing twice with two down and two up would be the better way. I still don't think that will solve all of the problems, the main one being that 14 teams in the top league still have very little/no chance of winning it!

Below the SPL, it should be one league of 16 (two up, two down(, then below that a regional north/south division, IMO that's the only thing that makes sense nowadays with finances looking so shaky at the moment and clubs towards the bottom of SFL2/3 only pulling 350-500 punters a week.

Adam - we almost went under chasing the SPL ground criteria, and then got relegated at the expense of ICT after those rules were changed. I'd scrap the seating requirement altogether and take a leaf out of the Germans by having safe standing areas a'la Bayern: why should a team like QOS/Ross County have to build an extra 3000-odd seats in the event of being promoted when they would only get used when the OF visit?

So many things wrong with the game, many of them caused by the Self Preservation League....

Chris is right about the league reconstruction: 16 teams playing twice with two down and two up would be the better way. I still don't think that will solve all of the problems, the main one being that 14 teams in the top league still have very little/no chance of winning it!

Below the SPL, it should be one league of 16 (two up, two down(, then below that a regional north/south division, IMO that's the only thing that makes sense nowadays with finances looking so shaky at the moment and clubs towards the bottom of SFL2/3 only pulling 350-500 punters a week.

Adam - we almost went under chasing the SPL ground criteria, and then got relegated at the expense of ICT after those rules were changed. I'd scrap the seating requirement altogether and take a leaf out of the Germans by having safe standing areas a'la Bayern: why should a team like QOS/Ross County have to build an extra 3000-odd seats in the event of being promoted when they would only get used when the OF visit?

So many things wrong with the game, many of them caused by the Self Preservation League....

Agree with all of this.