aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Guest idol_wild

Sometime in the 90's a dons game against Killie was called off due to a floodlight failure and for the replay not only were all fans with original tickets let in free but all remaining seats were given away on a first come first served basis too. Great atmosphere at that game and Joe Miller scored a hat-trick!! Dean Windass' first goal too if I remember right.

Anyone else go to that match?

I was at that. I was on the very top left seat in the Main Stand as you look at it (Merkland side) and went to the game on my own. I remember there being a light fog during the game, and Joe Miller had a beastin' match. 4-1. Up ye, you Killie fucks.

Ah, memories.

The general standard of midfield/forward play is way better than anything we saw last season. Hartley and Vernon have made significant improvements.....Maguire is twice the player he was last year, and given an injury-free run, Aluko, Pawlett and Velicka will all make a real difference. I actually reckon MM is right to be optimistic, although he's perhaps overplaying it by saying that "our season hasn't started yet".

The biggest differentiator this season is that we've been all over the place defensively. Diamond in particular has been a joke....and I genuinely hope he gets binned as soon as his contract ends. He really hasn't shown any real improvement after several years of first team action. He's still raw, clumsy, impetuous and prone to making dreadful decisions. I don't care a fuck that he's brave. He costs us far more goals than he saves us. Bottom line.

We've also had loads of injury problems. Any "fan" would be well advised to look at the size and disposition of the squad MM has to work with, and the budget available to him to make any changes, before pointlessly demanding yet another manager's head. I seriously wonder if these stupid fucks actually exist for any other reason than to campaign for managers to be sacked.

• Upvote 2

Rooney's off then? According to the papers anyway, and when have the papers ever been wrong about football, apart from never? The only actual quote from anyone has said that the speculation is nonsense, but despite no actual quotes from anyone saying it will happen, it is still happening, just because. That's the power of the paper!

To be honest, if I was a baller, I wouldn't play in England either. You get snapped and put in the paper just for walking down the road to get a bag of chips. The Spanish have it right. They only talk about how Real Madrid are buying, or how shit Real Madrid are.

The general standard of midfield/forward play is way better than anything we saw last season. Hartley and Vernon have made significant improvements.....Maguire is twice the player he was last year, and given an injury-free run, Aluko, Pawlett and Velicka will all make a real difference. I actually reckon MM is right to be optimistic, although he's perhaps overplaying it by saying that "our season hasn't started yet".

The biggest differentiator this season is that we've been all over the place defensively. Diamond in particular has been a joke....and I genuinely hope he gets binned as soon as his contract ends. He really hasn't shown any real improvement after several years of first team action. He's still raw, clumsy, impetuous and prone to making dreadful decisions. I don't care a fuck that he's brave. He costs us far more goals than he saves us. Bottom line.

We've also had loads of injury problems. Any "fan" would be well advised to look at the size and disposition of the squad MM has to work with, and the budget available to him to make any changes, before pointlessly demanding yet another manager's head. I seriously wonder if these stupid fucks actually exist for any other reason than to campaign for managers to be sacked.

I've only been once this season which was for the Killie game (0-1). Although it was pretty disappointing I agree that we actually look better in possession of the ball and going forward. We actually seem to have a midfield and at least one striker who looks like scoring double figures!

Agree on Diamond too. He hasn't really matured and can't exactly be considered a young guy coming through the ranks any more.

Still, I haven't found myself wanting to attend, partly for financial reasons and partly for doing something productive with my weekend.

I just read that the inter milan match was suspended for 3 minutes due to racial abuse. This is not the first time this nonsense has gone on in Italy. I remember going to a Juve match years ago and hearing monkey chants. There should be serious action and FIFA should get involved because left to the Italian FA it will be swept under the carpet. I'm so glad British football doesn't have this problem because it's an utter disgrace. I know there is a very small minority of racist thugs at almost every stadium but it's not what I would consider a wide-spread problem here and racist shouts quickly get booed away whenever i've heard them (can't recall hearing anything at todders). I know it's worse in eastern europe (that Odemwingie banner was a fucking joke) but you would have thought Italy, as a modern European country, wouldn't have this problem. It really winds me up and as small and insignificant a gesture it is, I am going to boycott Italian football. Not gonna watch that corrupt, racist pish anymore.

/2cents

Italy definitely has a big problem but the worst incidents are usually found in league matches rather than European competition which is probably why it doesn't get as much international coverage as it might and why Uefa / Fifa don't get too involved. The Italian authorities have given out pretty tough penalties before, I remember many cases where teams have had to play behind closed doors, sometimes for long periods. It obviously hasn't been enough though. I'm not really sure the ban of English clubs can be seen as a precedent as that was a reaction to a pretty extreme situation.

The difficulty for the governing bodies is that the problem must also be to an extent a social / cultural one which has found an outlet in football. Football crowds in the UK 20 to 30 years ago were extremely racist too and I'd like to think the improvement has been due to our culture and society as a whole becoming less racist and not just because football fans are scared of getting their club into trouble. The Italian FA should be very strict with clubs whose fans behave like this, but it looks like Italy has a big problem that the FA alone can't be expected to solve.

What happens in some eastern European football grounds is just scary.

As for Rooney, I don't expect him to leave in January but very possibly next summer. A year ago I would have said he could finish his career at Old Trafford, that certainly doesn't look likely now. Where he would go is a big question. The papers are all talking about Madrid but Mourinho has said he doesn't want to sign anyone just now. Obviously Perez wants to sign everyone in the world but if Jose's men continue to bang in the goals like the last couple of games Florentino will probably listen to him.

Barca don't have / are now unwilling to spend big money.

Another team in England? I don't really see it happening.

Italy maybe but it would be surprising. I would guess he wouldn't be too attracted to the style over there. Juve should sign him to replace Del Piero.

The worst thing for united would be he sticks around in a huff for a while and then leaves on a free.