aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

We can't afford the leccy for a toaster, nevermind a whole stadium at night.

Jesus, do you read the Evening Express or something? The toaster thing is one of the myths perpetuated by Aberdeen Journals, along with the 'Falkirk's stadium saved us from relegation'. Total garbage that has somehow gone from 'acknowledged pish' to 'acknowledged fact' over the years. It's depressing that some of our own fans have somehow started to believe such obvious gash.

Jesus, do you read the Evening Express or something? The toaster thing is one of the myths perpetuated by Aberdeen Journals, along with the 'Falkirk's stadium saved us from relegation'. Total garbage that has somehow gone from 'acknowledged pish' to 'acknowledged fact' over the years. It's depressing that some of our own fans have somehow started to believe such obvious gash.

There is some truth to the toaster story. The story I was told when I worked there (circa 2001) was that the fire alarm had been set off by someone burning their toast on more than one occasion causing a false alarm call-out for the Fire Brigade which resulted in a 300 fine. The players were banned from having a toaster in that room after that.

What did save us from relegation when we came bottom of the league and Falkirk came top of the First Division?

There is some truth to the toaster story. The story I was told when I worked there (circa 2001) was that the fire alarm had been set off by someone burning their toast on more than one occasion causing a false alarm call-out for the Fire Brigade which resulted in a 300 fine. The players were banned from having a toaster in that room after that.

What did save us from relegation when we came bottom of the league and Falkirk came top of the First Division?

IIRC, we beat Dunfermiline in a play-off and would have stayed up anyway, thus rendering the Falkirk Stadium thing void.

Or something.

Yes. That's what about to say when I accidentally typed the load of shite above.

That was the year the SPL was going up to 12 teams, so the 1st and 2nd placed teams in the First Div went up, and the bottom placed team in the SPL had to play a playoff against the 3rd team in the SFL. Which was Falkirk, and they wouldn't have been allowed up anyway so the play-off was cancelled.*

*Not at all taken from Wikipedia.

I don't get all the problems with the location.

I understand the attachment to Pittodrie and it's city centre location but as far as I understand it, due to the awful state of the stadium, remaining there just isn't feasible.

There really isn't a viable alternative site in the city centre, so moving (slightly) outside of the city is really the only option. I would imagine more fans have been travelling from the south of the city or towns to the south of the city than those who live within the city centre to get to pittodrie anyway.

From an away fan's point of view, Pittodrie is pretty much bang in the epicentre of a Terminator-esque post-nuclear holocaust wasteland, cursed by foetid plague winds and harled nightmare boozers. I'd have thought that moving AFC's homeground anywhere would have been an improvement.

If they had built the Dick Donald closer to the beach where the wastela, er concourse is, then there would have been ample space to redevelop, and of course there are theories that they didn't do so deliberately. Good old fanzine cartoon (Red Final I think), Stewartie in Joiner mode goes; " Its built ower close t'e' pitch min'

From an away fan's point of view, Pittodrie is pretty much bang in the epicentre of a Terminator-esque post-nuclear holocaust wasteland, cursed by foetid plague winds and harled nightmare boozers. I'd have thought that moving AFC's homeground anywhere would have been an improvement.

Says the man who lives in Leith....

Sit down shoot up.

• Upvote 1

WhyIoughta... ;)

In all seriousness though, Pittodrie is one of my least favourite grounds to go to because of it's location. Obviously Tannadice is an Eden in a world of Dobbies, but I like Easter Road and Tynecastle too. Tannadice, Dens, Easter Road and Tynecastle are all situated right in the communities they represent, and there's something really rather nice about that. If AFC moved to another out of the way location, would there really be much difference? I suppose they could at least put up wind barriers.

it's only 5 minutes walk from King Street

Aye, like I said, desolate...

Nah, I know it's not in the middle of nowhere, but it doesn't half feel like it. Grim. I think most away fans would agree, although I'm sure the hurricanes that blow through don't help.

Aye, like I said, desolate...

Nah, I know it's not in the middle of nowhere, but it doesn't half feel like it. Grim. I think most away fans would agree, although I'm sure the hurricanes that blow through don't help.

The worst stadium I've ever been to is Gayfield in Arbraoth. Ho-Lee fuck it's horrible in there. It's literally right next to the sea, there's a permanent hurricane blowing through the whole place and it's ridiculously fucking cold. What a miserable dreich bastard of a place.

EDIT - try standing in this miserable cunt of a place on a matchday in February!

PICT1269.JPG

arbroath21.jpg

• Upvote 1

Capello was receiving absolute pelters from the commentary team on Five Live last night. Mainly for not showing physical emotion when England scored.

Sersiously, Five Live: I think you have bigger things to discuss and ruminate over.

Clive Twatsley and Andy Twatsend said exactly the same thing on the ITV commentary, that really is ridiculousl journalism. I'd expect that kind of shit from ITV or Talksport but not BBC Five Live unless Alan Green was on which he probably was as he seems to get every single England game so he can have a big old wank to England's fortunes since he appears to love England so much despite being from Northern Ireland.

Anyways in the real world, off abroad to Wrexham in Wales for Cambridge's first game of the season, looking forward to visiting the Racecourse Ground for the first time, quite a bit of history there! we'll probably get stuffed but should be a nice day out!

Todders is hardly desolate though, it's only 5 minutes walk from King Street....

You must walk slow!

Back in the day when I first starting going to games it was possible to leave at full time and make it to the train station in time for the 17:10 train back to Stoney again. Had to walk fairly briskly though.

I don't have a big problem with where the new stadium is going to be but they do have to get the transport links and car parking right. A half assed job will make it hellish for everyone.

Just back from Stockholm. Lovely, lovely city with wonderful people!

Crippling hangover, not helped by having to be in airports and airplanes. I didn't think I could feel any worse, but upon reaching the UK I read on the Caley Thistle messageboard that Richie Foran is out for a month with a re-occuring knee injury. Gutted is not the word.

In far, far more important news, the 'mighty' Jags drew Ayr United at home in the quarter-final of the 'Still Important For At Least Another Ninety Minutes And A Win Might Get Us On BBC Dotaman' Cup. It's on a Sunday too, which is great excuse not to go to church.

Less thrilled about the visit of Dundee on Saturday. Gary Harkins will almost certainly get a hat-trick, and what's left of the JHS will call for the manager's heed after a 5-0 doing. Probably.

We're home to Stenny in the Does Cathy MacDonald Still Present All Those Programmes With Subtitles Cup which means we don't to play on their plastic "take all comers" pitch. Which is good, cause they've dicked us and Dundee there in the past week. Fuck, they dicked Dundee worse than they dicked us. Impressive.

Much more importantly, we have to follow up our 6-1 win on Tuesday with a win over Forfar on Saturday. That'd be nice. Will Martin Bavidge score against his former club? Probably not, actually.