aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Football. Fucking football.

This, very much this.

City 0-0 to be expected. That fuckwit Mancini picked SWP (he's in our 25-man squad and yet we're getting rid of Bellamy? Fuck off!) to start for fucks sakes, so we were never likely to score, and Joe Hart is immense so we were never going to concede.

It'll take a few games for the likes of Silva, Tevez, De Jong etc to get up to fitness after only being back for the last week of pre-season and then going away on fecking international duty. Don't expect us to be any great shakes for 3 or 4 weeks yet.

So yes, other than having the wrong fecking manager in the hotseat, reasonably happy with 0-0.

Peterhead, though. Fucking Peterhead. Score 6 goals in midweek, then look toothless in attack against Forfar. Our fucking captain cost us a goal for the third game in a row, and we'd already lost a really scrappy one.

We only started playing when Forfar's keeper got sent off. Unfortunately they still had a sub to throw on, so we weren't treated to a central defender pussying away from every shot like me when I play in goals.

Fuck football.

Guest idol_wild
Also, I put money on Hartley scoring first, and Aberdeen winning the first and second half, and for Aberdeen to win 4-0.

Hello, 120 pounds!

Give me six random numbers between 1 and 49, please.

This, very much this.

City 0-0 to be expected. That fuckwit Mancini picked SWP (he's in our 25-man squad and yet we're getting rid of Bellamy? Fuck off!) to start for fucks sakes, so we were never likely to score, and Joe Hart is immense so we were never going to concede.

It'll take a few games for the likes of Silva, Tevez, De Jong etc to get up to fitness after only being back for the last week of pre-season and then going away on fecking international duty. Don't expect us to be any great shakes for 3 or 4 weeks yet.

So yes, other than having the wrong fecking manager in the hotseat, reasonably happy with 0-0.

Peterhead, though. Fucking Peterhead. Score 6 goals in midweek, then look toothless in attack against Forfar. Our fucking captain cost us a goal for the third game in a row, and we'd already lost a really scrappy one.

We only started playing when Forfar's keeper got sent off. Unfortunately they still had a sub to throw on, so we weren't treated to a central defender pussying away from every shot like me when I play in goals.

Fuck football.

Why are you so against Mancini? I think his team choice is generally pretty good. He got the formation right today, although AJ should have started in place of SWP obviously. A team with new faces was never gonna threaten spurs at home so he played defensively, gave Yaya as much support as possible with DJ and Barry next to him to break him in.

Bellamy is never happy. If he's playing all the time he starts going off the boil after a few games in a row, then if he's not picked he starts moaning. As much as I like the guy and think he's a good player (although he'll never last an entire season at full speed), Bobby Manc is boss so good on him for telling him to get tae. Best time to sell him too... he's only got a few good seasons left, clubs will have last season fresh in the memory and with the new arrivals was not gonna be likely to repeat that form.

I really don't think any other manager could have done/be doing much better. His signings have been decent and bar a few off games last season (Everton at home, a couple nil nillers and spurs x2) they'd be playing champs league football after one of the most competitive top sixes for years.

Not always brilliant football today, but that's the most "together" Dons side I've seen in ages. Hartley did a great job marshalling the team, and giving encouragement.....but the whole team seemed to be encouraging each other, working for each other etc.

Great to see, and a great basis for a good season.

Thought Magennis looked useful too.

Why are you so against Mancini? I think his team choice is generally pretty good. He got the formation right today, although AJ should have started in place of SWP obviously. A team with new faces was never gonna threaten spurs at home so he played defensively, gave Yaya as much support as possible with DJ and Barry next to him to break him in.

Bellamy is never happy. If he's playing all the time he starts going off the boil after a few games in a row, then if he's not picked he starts moaning. As much as I like the guy and think he's a good player (although he'll never last an entire season at full speed), Bobby Manc is boss so good on him for telling him to get tae. Best time to sell him too... he's only got a few good seasons left, clubs will have last season fresh in the memory and with the new arrivals was not gonna be likely to repeat that form.

I really don't think any other manager could have done/be doing much better. His signings have been decent and bar a few off games last season (Everton at home, a couple nil nillers and spurs x2) they'd be playing champs league football after one of the most competitive top sixes for years.

I dislike Mancini because he plays too defensively (we have 5 defensive central midfielders on our books and play them rather than the likes of Ireland), has consistently refused to play our best players (Ireland, AJ today, Bellamy), hasn't yet punted Roque Santa Cruz and just generally doesn't grab my imagination.

I can't question his signings because they look solid, albeit Balotelli seems like a bit of a nutter and will have to prove himself, but tactically he seems naive. I've yet to see any confirmation the defence in front of Given/Hart will be any stronger than it was last season.

Christ, Hughes spunked 18 Million on RSC and 24M on Lescott. Stevie Wonder's transfer policy would be better.

In summary. Mancini has never been, in my eyes, the right man for the job. Hughes wasn't either. Who is? Fuck knows, not my decision. I simply can't see the board's goals being matched by the ability of Mancini.

Sky Sports News said this morning that AJ was on the bench because of his run out in the England friendly, and couldn't muster a full 90 minutes.

Defensive tactics probably come naturally to Mancini, coming through the Italian coaching system and all, though having Barry and De Jong in there, I think Yaya was a pointless investment, as De Jong is a much more robust player. If David Silva is given a more central Iniesta type role, which is what he is infinitely better at than being out wide, then that will render Ireland redundant as well.

I think no matter who City bring in for the job, the owners aren't going to have the patience to sit and watch that man bleed 1 or 2 signings into the squad per year and gradually climb the table over a number of years. If Milner really is on his way, then City have pretty much brought in an entirely new midfield. City already have a stack of great players, who are being pushed out for the sake of marquee signings, like Ireland and Bellamy. There's just no continuity.

I don't think they'll finish in the top 4 until whoever is in charge can step back from the transfer market and work on what they've got.

I dislike Mancini because he plays too defensively (we have 5 defensive central midfielders on our books and play them rather than the likes of Ireland), has consistently refused to play our best players (Ireland, AJ today, Bellamy), hasn't yet punted Roque Santa Cruz and just generally doesn't grab my imagination.

I can't question his signings because they look solid, albeit Balotelli seems like a bit of a nutter and will have to prove himself, but tactically he seems naive. I've yet to see any confirmation the defence in front of Given/Hart will be any stronger than it was last season.

Christ, Hughes spunked 18 Million on RSC and 24M on Lescott. Stevie Wonder's transfer policy would be better.

In summary. Mancini has never been, in my eyes, the right man for the job. Hughes wasn't either. Who is? Fuck knows, not my decision. I simply can't see the board's goals being matched by the ability of Mancini.

Ireland is technically one of the best creative players at city but his form was waning even under Hughes. He has been nowhere near good enough to cement a first team place for quite some time. He's had his chances too. Like Robinho, he has looked unarsed every time he gets on.

We all know a solid defensive partnership takes time to gel. Lescot + Toure didn't work and it took untill Mancini arrived to bite the 24m pound bullet, yank Lescott and groom Kompany for the regular position. I thought they looked decent today.

Also, Man City led the league in goals from corners last season. That's tactics from Mancini in play. Yes he's defensive but I don't see that as a bad thing. He's been lumped with non goal-scoring strikers (bar Tevez) but the midfield is quality. It would have been easy to grab a star striker signing but that's a waste of money without solid foundations so I admire him for his shrewd signings: They've got every type of midfielder going (uber defensive (DJ), hold up link man (Barry), classic winger (AJ), roaming winger (Silva), box to boxer (Yaya), gimpy Eddie Murphy (SWP)) so surely the strikers can't fail to score from the service behind them.

I don't think they'll finish in the top 4 until whoever is in charge can step back from the transfer market and work on what they've got.

THIS! THIS THIS THIS!

Nail on the head mate. New signins are all well and good, but Chelsea's success was built on a steady bedrock, and Manure continually only bring in two or three players each season, and generally sign youngsters who they break in gently.

Continuity off the pitch brings the same on it, and we lack both at the moment. Signing players for the sake of signing players is a poor move.

That said, I'd rather have Yaya than GazBaz. Just because.

Even when Roman Abramovic took over at Chelsea and signed 4000 players, there was still a decent spine of players at Chelsea in Terry and Lampard, while there was experience in Desailly and emerging talent in Cudicini, Joe Cole etc. Man City just don't have that. You can't just buy a whole new team, success comes from players knowing each other, how they play. It takes years to make a league-winning side.

THIS! THIS THIS THIS!

I think everyone agrees it's better to work with a group of players that have been together for a while rather than keep draughting in new signings and City will get nowhere untill they've settled. The sheik and Gary Cook know this as well. They're a business with a plan, not the arab collectors item that the media make out them to be.

BUT... and its a big but in terms of what City are trying to do... The squad they had last season was just not good enough to challenge so signings were needed. Individually, it is good enough now so for the sake of good football I hope they get the chance to gel as a unit. I mean, fuck, they've got Jerome Boateng. The man is a machine!

• Upvote 1

THIS! THIS THIS THIS!

Nail on the head mate. New signins are all well and good, but Chelsea's success was built on a steady bedrock, and Manure continually only bring in two or three players each season, and generally sign youngsters who they break in gently.

Continuity off the pitch brings the same on it, and we lack both at the moment. Signing players for the sake of signing players is a poor move.

That said, I'd rather have Yaya than GazBaz. Just because.

Gaz Baz did look solid yesterday, but I still can't stand him. From the way the speculation was being spread about over the summer it seemed that Yaya was brought in to eventually phase out De Jong, which would be stupid, and I hope that is just stupid paper talk and not true whatsoever. He's easily the best defensive midfielder in the league.

I reckon Ireland would play every game if his car didn't have pink alloys. I have a feeling Mancini, despite waiting scarves and once having flowing locks, isn't a firm appreciator of pink alloys.

This Ben Arfa to Newcastle transfer saga has been immense. First we put in a cheeky loan bid and Marseille's president tells us to go ram ourselves, because he's going to Hoffenheim instead. Then the president comes out a couple of days later and says he's definitely signing for Newcastle. Then he calls Newcastle's offer "insulting" and "non-existent". So he's definitely not coming, right? Well, Ben Arfa apparently decides to go on-strike because he hates Marseille and fucking loves the Toon (I shit you not). He decides to fly to Newcastle without permission (here's him at Newcastle airport) but the club won't talk to him because they don't have Marseille's permission. Meanwhile, Marseille have decided that he's a vital player and they're not going to sell him... but Ben Arfa's promised never to play for Marseille again, because he is "not a slave". Apparently his lawyers and Marseille are going to have a meeting with NUFC representatives today. Classic Newcastle United soap opera, it's good to be back :love:.

We're apparently trying to sign that baldy holding midfielder that was ruling the roost for Uruguay at the World Cup for under 1m. Would be a tidy bit of business as our central midfield has been guff since Gary Speed left.

that would be a disaster. just what scottish football needs, more ridiculous foreign investment overinflating wages and getting clubs into even more debt. they might wipe the debt just now but in a few seasons it'll be back again as rangers will not be competing at the top of europe, ever. no scottish club will purely by buying players as the players that want to come to scotland are shit.

actually having a competitive league would be nice though, proper youth development and decent tv coverage might just lead to a better standard of scottish football with more fans attending. as it stands we're all fucked.