aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

I wish we'd just hurry the fuck up and sign Ben Arfa. And Cleverley on loan. And Bellamy. And Messi.

Fergie said he's too good to go out on loan now, but when asked whether he'd be starting many games this season, he said "probably not".

Cleverley looks tidy, like a more scally looking Jack Wilshere. Needs to play games, or he'll be hanging round off-licenses, asking folk to go in and buy him cans of Skol.

Guest idol_wild
WhyIoughta... ;)

In all seriousness though, Pittodrie is one of my least favourite grounds to go to because of it's location.

I always assumed away fans loved going to Pittodrie because:

a) There's a very high chance of their team picking up three points, regardless of ability.

b) It's freaking hilarious taking the piss out of pent-up and over-expectant Aberdeen fans.

Canna wait to go and see the Dandies romping to a 2-0 loss on Saturday!

Praise Allah I didn't buy a season ticket this year!

A couple of beers before the game should make everything ok though!

Anyone else braving it?

yep, gonna go and get riled up at the inevitable gary macdonald running the midfield and scoring a screamer from 30 yards out. should be amazing!

Guest Gladstone

I dreamt last night that we signed Bellamy.

We also landed a left back I'd never heard of before.

I was well excited in my dream (not that kind of excited... but nearly).

Guest idol_wild
I dreamt last night that we signed Bellamy.

We also landed a left back I'd never heard of before.

I was well excited in my dream (not that kind of excited... but nearly).

For an Aberdonian, you think about Celtic to seriously unhealthy extents.

Anyone else braving it?

Yes! I'm in Aberdeen on holiday and this will be my first Dons game in about a year and half.

Worryingly that seems to have been enough time so that I'm actually looking forward to this game and optimistic for an entertaining victory!

The downside for many Dons fans will be the fact that they will no longer be able to spend their Saturday by leaving their near-to-Pittodrie home, shuffle round the corner to the Pittodrie Bar, shuffle round the corner to Pittodrie itself before shuffling back round the corner to the Pittodrie Bar post-match. Or you know, the King's Bar if it's an adventurous kind of night.

I still find the alleged yearly maintenance bill for Pittodrie a bit hard to believe. Must be a Milney affiliated maintenance company.

Guest idol_wild
The downside for many Dons fans will be the fact that they will no longer be able to spend their Saturday by leaving their near-to-Pittodrie home, shuffle round the corner to the Pittodrie Bar, shuffle round the corner to Pittodrie itself before shuffling back round the corner to the Pittodrie Bar post-match. Or you know, the King's Bar if it's an adventurous kind of night.

Good old Pit-Tawdry.

I actually don't miss that place one little bit. I thought I would. Bad memories vastly outweigh the good. It leaves me cold.

Anyone else braving it?

Oh shock, you and your fucking cynicism AGAIN. Every time, something negative, we'd far better off without "supporters" like you. Honestly, what joy do you get out of being such a miserable bastard? The season hasn't even started yet and here you are, predictable as ever, grumping, when a ball hasn't even been kicked yet. Fuck you.

2-1 Aberdeen imorn. Picking up my season ticket today. And I won't feel foolish if we lose four nil, or whatever, because there's nothing wrong with having faith in your shitty team and being optimistic. "We're going to lose"- like so many boring, cold Aberdeen fans think before every game, there is absolutely no dignity in such a low stakes bet.

Mon The Dons!

Guest Gladstone
No? You spik like een.

Fae the North East and did live in Aberdeen for 8 years, but I'm not an Aberdonian.

I'm from New Deer!

(By the way, I'm not trying to justify not supporting Aberdeen, because they would be my local team (in SPL terms), just don't class myself as coming from Aberdeen, I'm a country loon, ken?)

Guest Gladstone
Oh shock, you and your fucking cynicism AGAIN. Every time, something negative, we'd far better off without "supporters" like you. Honestly, what joy do you get out of being such a miserable bastard? The season hasn't even started yet and here you are, predictable as ever, grumping, when a ball hasn't even been kicked yet. Fuck you.

2-1 Aberdeen imorn. Picking up my season ticket today. And I won't feel foolish if we lose four nil, or whatever, because there's nothing wrong with having faith in your shitty team and being optimistic. "We're going to lose"- like so many boring, cold Aberdeen fans think before every game, there is absolutely no dignity in such a low stakes bet.

Mon The Dons!

Well said.

It's a new season, and every supporter should be optimistic at this point in time, because who knows what will happen.

From a Dons point of view, it looks like you've bolstered your team a little, and it's McGhee's second season, so things should start to look up from last season. The aim has to be top 6 again, which is achievable.

From a Celtic point of view, there are signs there that we could have a decent team again, our defence being a massive weak point, but hopefully that will be sorted before the end of the window. I think we'll win the league, and I think Rangers will struggle massively because a few injuries/suspensions in their team, and they will have to put a lot of faith in youth, which can go either way. But they have that wiley old bastard Smith at the helm, and a Rangers team under Smith is going to be there or thereabouts at the end of the season. Remember how shit that team was that he guided to the Uefa Cup final? Really shit. But he still got them there.

Game against ICT could be an interesting one tomorrow. They will be on a massive high and will fancy their chances at home against a new look Celtic still to bed a few players in and with any sense they'll just put someone fast up the right hand side and give the ball to him every time (assuming Mulgrew will be at LB). I think it could go either way, but one thing - I think there will plenty of goals. ICT 3 - 4 Celtic is my prediction.

Bring it on!

Mon The Dons!

Hahahahhaha.

Had you noticed my tongue was firmly in cheek, you might have saved yourself a massive rant. I was going for the reverse psychology tactic with regards to Saturday ;) I don't really think we'll lose.

And I'm anything but miserable! In fact, I'm looking forward to the game!

I'm going along to the game to support them, but alas, last season's woeful performances have not meritied the purchase of a season ticket (for myself).

I'm more than prepared to see how we get along this season and pick and choose some games.

I don't think you really get my sense of humour regarding the Dons.

I'll put your toys back in your pram.

LAWL as the kids would say.

Hahahahhaha.

Had you noticed my tongue was firmly in cheek, you might have saved yourself a massive rant. I was going for the reverse psychology tactic with regards to Saturday ;) I don't really think we'll lose.

And I'm anything but miserable! In fact, I'm looking forward to the game!

I'm going along to the game to support them, but alas, last season's woeful performances have not meritied the purchase of a season ticket (for myself).

I'm more than prepared to see how we get along this season and pick and choose some games.

I don't think you really get my sense of humour regarding the Dons.

I'll put your toys back in your pram.

LAWL as the kids would say.

I don't buy it.

Every comment you make on here is totally negative about Aberdeen, and it's all "Tongue firmly in cheek"? Hmm. Doubt it. And even if it was a joke, and all these comments are just light-hearted, it still gets bloody annoying reading them all the time, jokey or not, about how Aberdeen are shite and going to get humped.

Though if I misinterpreted your tone about actually looking forward to the game tomorrow, then my apologies.

I don't buy it.

Every comment you make on here is totally negative about Aberdeen, and it's all "Tongue firmly in cheek"? Hmm. Doubt it. And even if it was a joke, and all these comments are just light-hearted, it still gets bloody annoying reading them all the time, jokey or not, about how Aberdeen are shite and going to get humped.

Though if I misinterpreted your tone about actually looking forward to the game tomorrow, then my apologies.

You don't have to buy it. This is an internet forum. To discuss sports, and this thread in particular football. You, along with myself can post whatever we want about football.

I think you'll find i've made several 'positive' comments on here about the Dons...... slim pickings though, I must admit ;)

Sadly, we've been complete and utter bullshit for about 20 years now, so please forgive me for not being all smiles and sunshine about the Dandies. Those are the hard facts. Maybe that's our place in the football world, and despite that I still go along and watch them (as millions of others do with their own shitty teams).

All the optimism in the world isn't going to disguise the fact we (along with the vast majority of Scottish football) are rubbish.

Don't get me wrong, I am always optimistic at the start of every season, but over the past 20 years or so (with the odd ray of hope here or there), things have been pretty dire. It's sad that the best atmospheres i've seen at Pittodrie on the whole was when we were fighting to stave off relegation.

Still.... could be worse.... could be Maxi.... he has it worse.....

I'm going along tomorrow. Quietly confident of a victory. Not overly optimistic for the season as a whole, none of the close season signings have really filled me with confidence since I've never heard of any of them (Hartley being the obvious exception) but we should at least be safe from relegation. Celtic, Rangers, Dundee Utd, Hearts and Hibs should really be a lock for the top 5 - Dundee Utd and Hibs to carry on last season's form, and Hearts should be much improved with Jeffries in charge and Barr and Kyle in the team - so there's one more space in the top half up for grabs which I would like to think we can get but it won't be easy.

Anyone else fancy Dundee Utd to split the old firm this season? I reckon it'll finish Celtic, Utd. Rangers.

I think Motherwell might do quite well (no pun intended) this season, Craigy Broon seems to know what he's doing.

I also think Hughes at Hibs will be sacked by Christmas if they struggle. I can't believe he was saying he needed loads of players as his squad wasn't great. Some of the talent he has at his disposal is cracking.

I hope the Huns are terrible, they have been a bit of a shambles!

My wee bro is getting married tomorrow so I'm missing the first game of the season. Whether that will be a blessing or not is yet to be decided. Dependent on the outcome and general consensus I may buy a season ticket. If not I'll pick and choose games.

My mate sent me this in an e-mail the other day.

I can categorically state I will not be getting a season ticket but would still like to go to the first game of the season with ludicrously high expectations only to decide that I hate Scott Vernon after 53 minutes. I expect that I will have nothing but contempt for Yohann Folly come the half hour mark.

Hopefully won't be accurate.