aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Guest Gladstone
If only illegally streaming games from foreign TV was more reliable. When watching online, I usually go through about 7 or 8 sites per half, as they freeze endlessly.

Yeah, I watched the first leg of the Celtic v Braga tie online and it was only just watchable.

I'll be avoiding that in the future. I'd rather have a subscription to Sky / ESPN and watch the game properly. Streaming for that match was only an option because it wasn't on TV anywhere in the universe.

Guest Gladstone

Predictions for Sweden v Scotland tonight?

I've got to be honest. I'm not confident.

Looks like we'll have a very inexperienced (at international level) back four, but then again, that means no Gary "Beckenbauer" Caldwell at the back. I can only imagine how arrogant he'll be in a Scotland shirt now that he plays in the EPL...

Depending on how up for it Sweden are tonight, the defence could get a torrid time.

I think we'll be doing well to get a draw tonight, but I am always optimistic, so I'll predict a 2-1 victory for Scotland.

(Just because I can't bring myself to predict a loss...)

I watched the Scotland v Norway game a couple years back at er....... "Justin's House" and the stream was fine, though the picture quality was poor. It was quite funny as some guy in Glasgow was blatantly just streaming his Sky signal and he did his own commentary, he kept bigging up all the Celtic players and screaming abuse at the Huns.

Predictions for Sweden v Scotland tonight?

I've got to be honest. I'm not confident.

Looks like we'll have a very inexperienced (at international level) back four, but then again, that means no Gary "Beckenbauer" Caldwell at the back. I can only imagine how arrogant he'll be in a Scotland shirt now that he plays in the EPL...

Depending on how up for it Sweden are tonight, the defence could get a torrid time.

I think we'll be doing well to get a draw tonight, but I am always optimistic, so I'll predict a 2-1 victory for Scotland.

(Just because I can't bring myself to predict a loss...)

That back 4 is worrying me quite a bit! Have they got more than 5 caps between them?! Berra is an average championship/bottom 3 Premiership CB paired with a decent SPL CB in Kenneth. Broadfoot and Wallace are pretty average too but then I don't suppose we can expect much else. I thought Russell Anderson might get a look in as he seemed to be playing regularly for Derby but I watched him against Leeds at the weekend and thought he looked out of his depth! Hooked at half time, although I think it was due to injury.

International friendlies are always shit anyway. Bring on those cheating, diving Lithuanian scumbags in a competitive fixture and let's see what's what.

It's usually okay if you're watching reasonably low-key games, but if you were to watch something like Man Utd vs Liverpool, you wouldn't even get 10 seconds of footage before it cuts out.

Being an armchair football fan is tough.

You need to acquaint yourself with the Adam Lounge. They show a different game on each screen. It's like those 360 degree cinema screens at the carnies...with football.

Guest Gladstone

Levein's named his team:

----------------------McGregor

Broadfoot ------Berra -----Kenneth ------Wallace

Robson ------Fletcher ------Thomson ------Adam

-------------------------McFadden

-------------------------S. Fletcher

Delighted he's gone for Fletcher as the one up top instead of Miller. Maybe we've finally got a manager that realises if we've got one up top, he needs to be able to take a chance. Think Boyd is on the bench, as well as Miller if we need someone to run at a tired defence.

Not sure if that's exactly how the midfield will look like, but it seems we have 3 left sided midfielders in a 5 man midfield in Robson, Adam and McFadden. I suspect Thomson will play the "dirty" role as a holding midfielder with Fletcher just in front of him doing a bit of both. I'm not sure if Adam can play on the right can he? Which is why I think he'll be on the left, with Robson on the right and McFadden a bit more advanced.

I quite like the look of the team to be honest, aside from the defence which although it's good defenders in the middle, is very inexperienced at this level. Broadfoot's probably the most capped out of that 4...

McGregor is a bit of a beast in goals though, so hopefully he'll do what's required and bail out the defence if needs be...

Guest Gladstone
That sports bar on Bridge Street where the titty bar is now used to do that. They had two big screens downstairs and one upstairs and they all had a different sports channel on.

What the fuck was that place called again?

We watched that Italy 1-1 Scotland game there when Miller put us in front just before half time with a blinding header. Without doubt the best thing he's ever done with a football.

For one day, I absolutely loved Kenny Miller.

That soon faded.

Guest Gladstone
Allstars wasn't it? Owned by the Marr brothers.

Fucking delighted not to see K. Miller on that teamsheet. Fed up seeing him squander chance after chance in a Scotland shirt.

That's the bugger.

We got a table upstairs right in front of the screen. Couple of guys ran out at half time to buy tickets for an Oasis gig or something. And came right back and got their seat back. We could also sneak to the toilets down the stairs and to the bar without having to plough through the crowd.

Magic.

Just a pity we didn't beat them...

I'm reminiscing...

Favourite ever Scotland experience?

I think mine was the France 0-1 Scotland match. Watched it in Ma Camerons and just remember the second or so when the place went silent as McFadden's goal hit the top corner with the most ambitious shot of his life, then madness ensued.

Either that or when John Collins tucked away his penalty against Brazil in World Cup 1998.

The home France game at Hampden, I was at, and that was great, but we didn't look comfortable for the whole game and it wasn't that enjoyable. I think we played really well in the away match, and the goal was just unbelievable. Happy times...

:up:

What the fuck was that place called again?

We watched that Italy 1-1 Scotland game there when Miller put us in front just before half time with a blinding header. Without doubt the best thing he's ever done with a football.

For one day, I absolutely loved Kenny Miller.

That soon faded.

I was at that match. Right on the halfway line at Hampden. Around half time, I got my phone out my pocket and started sending a text message and missed Miller's goal.

That's the bugger.

Favourite ever Scotland experience?

One of two. First was being at Hampden for the play-off for Euro 2004 against Holland. Skelped the clogs 1-0 with a deflected goal from either Fletcher or McFadden, I can't remember which. Hampden went fucking nuts. Possibly the best atmosphere at a football match I can ever remember. Of course, we got absolutely fucked 6-0 in the return leg in Amsterdam the next week, but for one week at least, the dream was there that we might actually do it.

Second was beating France away from home with that McFadden goal. I'd driven to the pub in Fraserburgh expecting us to get humped and not planning drinking. Then we won, the place erupted, beer and furntiure flying around in every direction. It was like a comic book with a cloud of dust with fists and feet sticking out of it. I left my car at the pub and got fucking steaming :up:

Guest Gladstone

One of two. First was being at Hampden for the play-off for Euro 2004 against Holland. Skelped the clogs 1-0 with a deflected goal from either Fletcher or McFadden, I can't remember which. Hampden went fucking nuts. Possibly the best atmosphere at a football match I can ever remember. Of course, we got absolutely fucked 6-0 in the return leg in Amsterdam the next week, but for one week at least, the dream was there that we might actually do it.

Second was beating France away from home with that McFadden goal. I'd driven to the pub in Fraserburgh expecting us to get humped and not planning drinking. Then we won, the place erupted, beer and furntiure flying around in every direction. It was like a comic book with a cloud of dust with fists and feet sticking out of it. I left my car at the pub and got fucking steaming :up:

McFadden scored against Holland. Despite being a deflection, it was a cracker - didn't he skip past a couple of players in the box before hitting it?

I had a very boozy night after the Holland match. Actually - that might have been after the 6-0 humping. Or both, I canna mind.

That McFadden goal against France just makes the hairs stand up thinking about it. Fucking awesome.

I'm away to youtube it.

McFadden scored against Holland. Despite being a deflection, it was a cracker - didn't he skip past a couple of players in the box before hitting it?

I had a very boozy night after the Holland match. Actually - that might have been after the 6-0 humping. Or both, I canna mind.

That McFadden goal against France just makes the hairs stand up thinking about it. Fucking awesome.

I'm away to youtube it.

In my memory he picked the ball up on the right wing and ran it towards the box, a guy slid in at him just as he kicked it and it bounced off the guys leg and up and over the keeper. I could be remembering it wrong though. Sure it's on Youtube somewhere.

Guest Gladstone
In my memory he picked the ball up on the right wing and ran it towards the box, a guy slid in at him just as he kicked it and it bounced off the guys leg and up and over the keeper. I could be remembering it wrong though. Sure it's on Youtube somewhere.

Aye - you're right. Just found it, looks like he kicked it off the boy's arse. It found the top corner though. Chances are I didn't even see a replay at the time as I was busy jumping on tables and stuff.

Just found the Kenny Miller header v Italy as well. Great goal. Good move (yes, good move by Scotland!!), then he nipped in in front of the defender and glanced it in. Brilliant.

England beat a bunch of Eastern Europeans who would do well to survive in the championship and all in well again - stevie gerrard is the world class player he always was and england are gonna win the euros without breaking sweat!

Was a dodgy decision for Hungary's goal mind....