aberdeen-music

Restaurant / Takeaway review thread

Lemonade

HOLY FUCKING SHIT:

I went to Nargile for lunch on a work thing yesterday. It was bloody outstanding. We got this Turkish tapas sort of thing (Meze?) and all the food was just too legit to quit. 3 courses, all washed down with 3 bottles of Efes and a Turkish coffee. Go to this place, the food is unreal.

My experience of this sort of cuisine (Tapas/Meze) is usually a bit hit or miss. You usually get a lot of food, and maybe like about 75% of it. Even then, with variety of food on offer, it's hard for the chefs to get everything spot on. Not here.

10/10 - fantastic

HOLY FUCKING SHIT:

I went to Nargile for lunch on a work thing yesterday. It was bloody outstanding. We got this Turkish tapas sort of thing (Meze?) and all the food was just too legit to quit. 3 courses, all washed down with 3 bottles of Efes and a Turkish coffee. Go to this place, the food is unreal.

My experience of this sort of cuisine (Tapas/Meze) is usually a bit hit or miss. You usually get a lot of food, and maybe like about 75% of it. Even then, with variety of food on offer, it's hard for the chefs to get everything spot on. Not here.

10/10 - fantastic

Went to the Nargile on Skene Street years ago and loved it. No idea why I've never been back since. Must change that at some point.

I've got to book a table somewhere for a meal my birthday tomorrow night but have no idea where to go. I think probably a curry somewhere I've not tried before will keep everyone happy.

Can anybody recommend one? We'd normally end up at Nazma, Lahore Karahi or the ones on Rose Street.

Just stay in and order a K2 set meal. x

Shabaaz it is then! We went there about a year ago and it was really quiet so we felt quite awkward and that we shouldn't be talking, but that was a Sunday night. I don't remember anything about the food but I will report back!

What's so good about K2. Sell it to me, Jake!

Word's can't describe. Just get a set meal for 2 and prepare to be amazed.

I've ate a fair few takeaways in my week off but they are probably too far out of the way for you town dwellers.

Sunday - Ravenous after band practice I stopped in Pitta's in Turriff. I had a Mixed Bursa which is a load of kebabs thrown into a pitta/naan bread kinda thing, filled with salad, chili and garlic sauce then the whole thing is topped with cheese. Top notch scran. Proper meaty kebabs none of this thin and crispy nonsense that seems to plague Aberdeenshire's kebab shops. The chili sauce had a fair kick and the garlic sauce was tremendous. I took the missus home a huge selection of pakoras and bajis as she had friends over for a catch up. They were a huge hit. Whole lot demolished in about 3 seconds. Would recommend.

Monday - After a busy day of flitting into my new house we were rewarded with an Indian from Nazma Tandoori in Banff. I had a lamb jalfrezi and it was straight up awesome. Huge chunks of tender lamb and a the sauce was epic. Huge keema naan on the side and a huge bottle of Tiger to wash it all down with. 5 stars.

Thursday- Last night as it was the last day of my holidays I decided to get a Chinese because I couldn't be hooped cooking. Got a set meal for 2 from the Happy Palace in Banff.

I can't remember how much I paid for it (15/20 pounds?) but the sheer amount of food we got was staggering. I've got some for my lunch today infact. Ribs, spring rolls, chow mien, Shanghai beef, rice, some spicy prawn thing, pork curry, soup are the items coming to mind but I'm sure there is more. Really really good. The Happy Palace is a personal favorite, if you're ever in Banff. Get een.

Shabaaz it is then! We went there about a year ago and it was really quiet so we felt quite awkward and that we shouldn't be talking, but that was a Sunday night. I don't remember anything about the food but I will report back!

What's so good about K2. Sell it to me, Jake!

K2 is the missus and my new favourite takeaway. It's amazing.

• Upvote 2

HOLY FUCKING SHIT:

10/10 - fantastic

Aye, i've been there a couple of times and it's been fantastic each time. The only thing i would recommend stearing clear of is the Swordfish, it tastes like pickled horseshit.

Yorokobi was fucking outstanding. ordered the smoked salmon special roll which was smoked salmon, flying fish eggs and a wasabi and teryaki cream. also had some sushi and went for omelette, sea bass and shrimp. all pretty damn tasty.

pretty reasonably priced too! will probably go back regularly now.

Yorokobi was fucking outstanding. ordered the smoked salmon special roll which was smoked salmon, flying fish eggs and a wasabi and teryaki cream. also had some sushi and went for omelette, sea bass and shrimp. all pretty damn tasty.

pretty reasonably priced too! will probably go back regularly now.

It is amazing. Last year for under 60 quid I got so much food it fed me and the missus a hearty dinner, and we had enough left over to have a decent lunch the next day as well. Man that volcano roll was awesome.

Question: is it manky to ask for a doggy bag? Especially when you have to ask the barmaid in The Braided Fig if you can keep it in their fridge while you get drunk :rolleyes:

I had Yorokobi last week, it was fucking fantastic. Ordered a starter each, then just picked a bunch of random stuff off the menu to share as a main course. Had 4 types of nigiri (yellowtail, eel, surfclam, salmon) a fucking gigantic volcano roll, a set maki selection (18 pieces) and a couple of California rolls, which were 6 pieces each. Didn't realise how much food we'd ordered, they just kept bringing more and more fucking food! Had to take some of it home and have it for lunch the next day Was expensive but not insanely so, for all that food and two beers it came in at just under 60.

[/quote]

Question: is it manky to ask for a doggy bag? Especially when you have to ask the barmaid in The Braided Fig if you can keep it in their fridge while you get drunk :rolleyes:

It shouldn't be manky. After all you've paid for the food and what are they going to do with the leftovers otherwise? If anything it should be a compliment to the restaurant that you want to eat it all.

Asking them to keep it in the fridge is taking the piss though.

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...

thought id give this a bump as im interested in trying out some new restaurants recently, id really recommend cafe coast i had their smoked salmon in the white sauce was to die for and was cheap and cheerful plus the money goes towards a good cause

I used to work for Inspire, who run Cafe Coast. They are a bunch of lunatics. What they are supporting is a good cause, but the guys running the show are total bell-ends.

Money that goes into Cafe Coast, very little of it goes towards any of the actual projects. Or at least it didn't when I was there. Even when the Cafes income was booming, all the projects had their funds cut continuously.

Edited by Joda Serk

I used to work for Inspire, who run Cafe Coast. They are a bunch of lunatics. What they are supporting is a good cause, but the guys running the show are total bell-ends.

Money that goes into Cafe Coast, very little of it goes towards any of the actual projects. Or at least it didn't when I was there. Even when the Cafes income was booming, all the projects had their funds cut continuously.

My Dad works for Inspire. Maybe you know him. Maybe you think he's a bell end.