aberdeen-music

Restaurant / Takeaway review thread

Lemonade

Guest Bob Knob

I experienced Tropeiro for the first time last Saturday. It was really nice but a bit pricey for what it is. Our table of nine came to around £350 (no desserts). The meat itself (fuck salad) was exceptional although a tad on the salty side at times. The sirloin? amazing. Chicken hearts? no problem.

I'd go again but not in a hurry. For an all you can eat scenario, Saigon on Crown Terrace wins hands down.

• Upvote 1

I'd heard loads of bad things about the Filling Station. I actually went once a couple of years ago, but we walked out because nobody came to serve us after about 20 minutes. It was was totally dead then too. Jam packed last Friday night. We booked a table just to be sure, and it's good that we did. The missus' dad had Calzone and despite my burger being awesome, I was pretty jealous. That thing was monstrous.

It's not the cheapest. It's about the same as TGI's. I'd certainly say it's better than TGI's. I've only been there twice, but I find it very dull.

I'd recommend giving The Filling Station a go again if you like massive portions of hideously unhealthy food covered in cheese.

I'd heard loads of bad things about the Filling Station. I actually went once a couple of years ago, but we walked out because nobody came to serve us after about 20 minutes. It was was totally dead then too. Jam packed last Friday night. We booked a table just to be sure, and it's good that we did. The missus' dad had Calzone and despite my burger being awesome, I was pretty jealous. That thing was monstrous.

It's not the cheapest. It's about the same as TGI's. I'd certainly say it's better than TGI's. I've only been there twice, but I find it very dull.

I'd recommend giving The Filling Station a go again if you like massive portions of hideously unhealthy food covered in cheese.

I was at TGIs for the first time a few weeks ago. It was edible but pretty shit overall, exactly what you'd expect from that kind of place really. When I ordered my burger they asked me how I wanted it cooked, which was surprising. I decided to play their little game and said medium and was duly delivered a well done burger.

Hah, same here. i was in TGIs couple of weeks ago and they asked the same question regarding my burger. I also decided to challenge them with a medium request, my mate then spent the 10 minutes until it arrived convincing me my arse would be in tatters but thankfully, their chefs are obviously cretins and i also received a well done burger. Squirts avoided. Champion.

• 1 month later...

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/2814133

Cinnamon voted top NE restaurant.

I've been a few times and have always been less than impressed and most people I know say the same. It currently sits at 153 of 224 restaurants in Aberdeen on tripadvisor.

How come it keeps winning awards?

Not tried the take away that won an award yet but I will add it to the list.

Had a chippy from Hass's on Holburn street the other week. Even with the lack of chippy sauce it was one of the best I've had.

I'd rather eat a bucket of sick than pay for food from the Filling Station. It's not even cheap which would be it's only saving grace.

I've never heard of anyone actually eating there - why bother when McDs and BK are a short distance away and about a third of the price?

Cinnamon regularly wins the "Best Restaurant in Aberdeen" award. Someone once told me, who claimed he knows about this sort of stuff, that there is some kind of money involved. I'm not saying I think that though. I've been and thought it was fairly good.

Cinnamon regularly wins the "Best Restaurant in Aberdeen" award. Someone once told me, who claimed he knows about this sort of stuff, that there is some kind of money involved. I'm not saying I think that though. I've been and thought it was fairly good.

Is it not that the award itself is a commercial enterprise, like some of the national awards that it also seems to place in. So it's not an independant or customer led panel deciding that the restaurant is great and giving it an award. Instead they have to pay to put themselves up for the award so it's a limited field.

That's how I understand it from the outside looking in. Could be wrong though.

I thought it was great the one time I ate there.

Is it not that the award itself is a commercial enterprise, like some of the national awards that it also seems to place in. So it's not an independant or customer led panel deciding that the restaurant is great and giving it an award. Instead they have to pay to put themselves up for the award so it's a limited field.

That's how I understand it from the outside looking in. Could be wrong though.

I thought it was great the one time I ate there.

That sounds about right. Like I said, there is "some kind of money involved" which is all I know of it.

That sort of thing happens in a lot of industries. Having to pay to enter awards, or agree to sponsor them or take a ludicrously expensive table at the event before you're considered, then write your own submission. So rather than being an indicator of the best in the field at whatever it is, it becomes an indicator of those who needed the publicity enough to justify the cost and then had the best writers.

• 2 months later...

Got a chinese from Shanghai somethingorother on just-eat last night. Bollocks. And not of the canine variety.

First off, after waiting for an hour, even though they're just round the corner, I phoned up. Apparently their GPS sent them to Torry.

I let them off with that. The food arrived after another 20 minutes. Onion rings were cold and soggy and rice was also cold. I shoved it all in the micro. My curry was hot (in temperature, not in spice) and the spring rolls were the only decent part.

The curry didn't taste nice. It was okay. Pretty bland. The chicken was strangely juicy. Turns out it was under cooked. Saw some pink, through it all in the bin.

Phoned up and got offered £10 off my next order as compensation...

Just-Eat can suck a dick. Everytime I order something off there it takes nearly 2 hours to arrive, and the order is always wrong. It might not actually be the fault of Just-Eat actually. It might be every Aberdeen takeaway that subscribes to it being fucking clueless dickheads. Either way, I just don't bother with it anymore. I don't know how places manage to get 2 currys and 2 rice, or 2 burgers and 2 chips wrong, but they manage it.

Has anyone been to Pavarotti's on Union Terrace in the alst month or so? Not been yet but been following their offerings on Facebook adn the food looks good. Reason I ask is my sister's fiance has just been made the Head Chef there and I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's been in. He's a just a young guy at 24 but a great chef and I'm hoping that things go well there for him

I'd rather eat a bucket of sick than pay for food from the Filling Station. It's not even cheap which would be it's only saving grace.

Filling Station is gazillions better than it used to be. I went there when I first moved here 4 or 5 years ago. Vile stuff. I've been 4 or 5 times in the past 2 years. The missus' folks always seem to want to go there for birthdays and stuff. It's rather good, if you like that whole F&B/TGI's American/Italian stuff. It's definitely better than TGI's, which is horrid. Filling Station also do really great cocktails, and sell Brooklyn Lager. Win. Their burgers are great. So is the Calzone, which was infact one of the best Calzone's I've ever had.