aberdeen-music

Restaurant / Takeaway review thread

Lemonade

If any of you happen to be in Edinburgh on a Tuesday, there's a place called Thai Pad which is off the charts good and if you have 4+ in your party, they do an all you can eat thing for £20 a head, where they just keep bringing out random plates of food until you expire. Their food is outstanding! And when I was in the time before last, I met drumming superstar and online poker sensation, Christy Keenan! Which reminds me, I need to give him a shout and catch up for a pint!

Went to Piccolo on Bon Accord Terrace last night. Little Italian place with pink neon lights in the window. It was immense. I had Gnocchi to start, and a Pancetta, Ricotta and Spinach Calzone. Starter was decent, and the Calzone was incredible. The missus had Brushetta and Spag Bol. I had a try of each, and both were excellent. I've been to Rustico twice, and it's pretty good, but I think this was my favourite Italian dining experience. Proper good nosh!

Getting a decent kebab in Edinburgh isn't easy either. There are only two places that really do it well, although one does your kebab in a flour tortilla, folds it and crisps it in a panini grill, which is mighty fine.

There's Efes, near the king theatre which when I was a student there in 94 was the best kebab's i had ever tasted, used to be my treat when my grant came in (wow - shows how long ago it was)...

Plans have changed. But nice to know that it is quite nice, cheers.

I got a takeaway from T2 in torry the other night. Set meal for 2 was 16 quid odds. You got 2 curries out of a choice of 2. I went for a bhuna, she went korma. You got a portion of pretty multicoloured pilau rice each, a massive naan that was bigger than a plate and 2 big massive onion bahjis. We stuck chicken pakoras on the order too. Just under £20 quid and we couldn't finish it. And it was delicious. Pretty quick delivery too. Would definitely reccomend.

Can't recommend these guys enough, lovely food and a great price, onion bajis were absolutely lovely.

I was going to post this in Pet Hates, but this thread is maybe more relevant. I went to the new Bar Soba on Byres Road in Glasgow, and had a Thai steak burger. The burger itself was fucking awesome, as was the chilli jam on it, but they decided to put it all in a piece of shit bun that fell apart immediately. UNNACCEPTABLE. Good buns should be a basic burger requirement.

Though I did get it for half price because I'm a student, so kind of acceptable.

We went to Lahore Karahi on King Street last night for the first time. It was incredible. I had a chicken bhuna and some rice and after eating the tiniest bit of chicken, I had already proclaimed it to be the greatest curry of all time. It just had loads of different flavours that worked well with each other. Rice portions were huge as well and I felt like I wouldn't be able to move again for a long time afterward.

• Upvote 1

Went to Piccolo on Bon Accord Terrace last night. Little Italian place with pink neon lights in the window. It was immense. I had Gnocchi to start, and a Pancetta, Ricotta and Spinach Calzone. Starter was decent, and the Calzone was incredible. The missus had Brushetta and Spag Bol. I had a try of each, and both were excellent. I've been to Rustico twice, and it's pretty good, but I think this was my favourite Italian dining experience. Proper good nosh!

Had two work dos there! Great place, good food, good service. :)

We tried Blue Moon's weekend lunch menu today. Very reasonably priced, 2 courses and coffee for £7.95, with free poppadoms too. The portions weren't massive, but I couldn't complain as it was a steal and it tasted pretty good. Not sure of they're as good during the week but I'd happily give them a go sometime.

Cinammon @ Home, Merkland Road

Grabbed some food from there on Saturday night - 2 starters, 2 curries, 2 rices and 2 naan breads - £38.00

Food was decent enough but not worth the price. Girlfriend had butter vegetables, and the grease that came off it was unbelievable.

I'm yet to find a better Indian takeaway in Aberdeen than the Blue Moon - yet to try K2 which has been raved about on here.

Cinammon @ Home - 6/10

Cinammon @ Home, Merkland Road

Grabbed some food from there on Saturday night - 2 starters, 2 curries, 2 rices and 2 naan breads - £38.00

Food was decent enough but not worth the price. Girlfriend had butter vegetables, and the grease that came off it was unbelievable.

I'm yet to find a better Indian takeaway in Aberdeen than the Blue Moon - yet to try K2 which has been raved about on here.

Cinammon @ Home - 6/10

Wooaaahhhh. £38!?!?! Get to K2 now. You could feed 4 for that price there.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Bob Knob

Blue Spice on Great Northern Road:

Just got delivered one of their meal deals which consisted of:

1 Chicken korma

1 Chicken Bhuna

2 Pilau rice

2 Massive naan breads

2 Massive poppadoms

1 Portion of vegetable pakoras (inc. mango chutney etc)

One side portion of Chicken tikka massala.

Everything above is in huge portions and is near enough Light of Bengal quality...all for £16.50. Best takeaway I've had in ages :up:

• Upvote 2

The best Doner in Aberdeen, used to be in Marrakesch on Market St. Lionel (that wasn't his name but he looked just like Lionel Richie) used to make the best sauces and his coleslaw was off the charts. He also used to do an Eastern pizza - Margherita with Doner and all of the sauces and coleslaw. I've never had a better pizza than that.

GOOD NEWS!! Lionel is Back with a kebab shop actually called Lionels!! On Bridge Street. Get there!

• Upvote 2

I had Fish and Chips from Captains Table down at the beach the other day. Beachfront Fish and Chips are meant to be banging, but it was vile. For a place that advertises itself as a fish restaurant, it's worrying that they can't get a simple haddock and chips right.

Waited 35 minutes for it (to take away) for a start. During that time, some guy came in and brought his White Pudding supper back, and said it was cold and shit. That obviously filled me with confidence. I got it, and it was overdone and dried out. It was also a perfect rectangle shape, and not fillet shaped, which was weird. Looked like the kind of fish you'd get from a School Dinner. The worst.

Don't go there.