aberdeen-music

Restaurant / Takeaway review thread

Lemonade

I had a lethal weapon pizza from pizza the action last night with nachos on the side. the pizza was ace, the nachos were rubbery and a bit shit. why doesn't anywhere do good nachos? it's so simple and easy to do well yet all you get is a lazy pile of corn chips with melted cheese and some jalapenos. give me fresh guacamole and fresh salsa as well silly takeaways. if you did it well you'd be legendary.

I only ever do my own Nachos and the missus makes a mean guac and salsa. It doesn't take long to make and i would view ordering "takeaway" nachos as an ultimate sin. Crazy talk!! :p

I had a Pizza Hut pizza last night, from the King Street take away.

It had hair in it. Not just one, but four or five strands of long curly hair, lodged into the cheese.

Never again.

The missus and I had vegan pizza from there once, and both of us were off work the next day with food poisoning. It'll make a great story for the "Pizza Hut King Street Memories Thread" when it closes down.

Thank fuck this thread has been saved by some posts that don't follow this pattern:

1. I ate here

2. It tasted nice/horrible

3. It was greasy/not greasy

4. I have had x shits between time of consumption and now and they were of y consistency

Maybe this could be the basis of a simple points based scoring system, might I suggest catogories such as "Nom value" and "portion sizes" rating from 1 to 10 on tastiness and volumes, "grease content" measuring the part per mouthful grease quantity in ml, "change left from 20quid" as a measure of value and the all important "number of stools past in the 24hours post meal".

:cheers:

I went to Frankie and Bennies for the first time in about 10 years today. The staff were as miserable and as unpleasant as you'd expect for hungover students working on a Sunday, but the grub was better than I expected. Stuffed potato skins to start, with onion and goats cheese. Smashing. Then I had a Calzone which was stuffed with all kinds of goodies, including meatballs the size of my head. Had a slice or two of the missus' goats cheese garlic bread which was incredible. Washed it down with my first ever Coke Float, which admittedly was a magnificent beverage. £5 off with Groupon too, so a bang tidy £24 for two courses and a Coke Float each. I'm still full now. That Calzone was a monster.

Was at Chao Phraya again tonight with the boyfriend and his folks. It was seriously amazing, as expected, but there was absolutely nobody in when we arrived at around 8.00, and the restaurateurs were sitting behind the bar with the lights off. I'm assuming they were either about to pack up and go home, or they were sitting saving electricity. They put the lights and music on when we arrived. We were the only folk in there for the whole time we were there. People should definitely go check this place out, it's so good that it deserves to be busier! Look how nice my starter looked, why wouldn't you want to eat that?! Get it done!

295984_10150286414199469_671999468_7501215_1869444_n.jpg

• Upvote 2

Is than an Onion cut into the shape of a Rose?

They also do carrots real nice too...

photo-4.jpg

Went to Konnichi Bar (formerly Chi Bar) in the Academy for lunch today. I don't think I'll bother going back. The place was really quiet, with only me, my friend and another couple there, which was fine enough, but the service was pretty slow, even the drinks took ages to emerge. I'm never too bothered about time if the food is worth the wait, but it was pretty disappointing. I had a Thai green curry and it wasn't great. It was only £7 but I've had cheaper and better Thai Green curries before. The small portion of boiled rice I had with it cost £4. The only explanation I can think of for this is it must have been prepared by either the queen or Jesus.

Papa John's pizza, complete with the now legendary garlic dip. The pizza pretty was pretty fucking tasty, the chicken strips I got on the side were huge and plentiful. The garlic dip was REALLY really buttery. It's basically just butter with a hint of garlic in it. When I first started dipping my crusts in it I thought it was pretty fine, so I drizzled it over the remains of the pizza. Sadly at this point I went off it, as it made everything taste like butter and kinda spoiled my pizza. Don't try this at home.

IMG_1025.jpg

Went to Konnichi Bar (formerly Chi Bar) in the Academy for lunch today. I don't think I'll bother going back. The place was really quiet, with only me, my friend and another couple there, which was fine enough, but the service was pretty slow, even the drinks took ages to emerge. I'm never too bothered about time if the food is worth the wait, but it was pretty disappointing. I had a Thai green curry and it wasn't great. It was only £7 but I've had cheaper and better Thai Green curries before. The small portion of boiled rice I had with it cost £4. The only explanation I can think of for this is it must have been prepared by either the queen or Jesus.

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed with this place as well, tried it a few weeks ago. I know it's under different management and stuff, and is slightly different cuisine, but there wasn't one vegetarian main dish, let alone anything vegan. I ended up opting for pad Thai sans prawns and egg. It was okay, nothing to write home about though, again I've had better, the tahini wasn't great, and considering that's all I can eat there, I won't be going back any time soon. Chi had lots of veggie dishes, I felt their stuff was much more reasonably priced too. Plus, they've really hiked up the drinks prices. There was a lot of sushi on the menu, but I get the feeling that the dishes at Yorokobi are cheaper and more inventive.

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed with this place as well, tried it a few weeks ago. I know it's under different management and stuff, and is slightly different cuisine, but there wasn't one vegetarian main dish, let alone anything vegan. I ended up opting for pad Thai sans prawns and egg. It was okay, nothing to write home about though, again I've had better, the tahini wasn't great, and considering that's all I can eat there, I won't be going back any time soon. Chi had lots of veggie dishes, I felt their stuff was much more reasonably priced too. Plus, they've really hiked up the drinks prices. There was a lot of sushi on the menu, but I get the feeling that the dishes at Yorokobi are cheaper and more inventive.

Rubbish! I'm not sure they'll last much longer if it stays the same...

Also, more photos of nice food and fewer posts telling us about shitting habits can only be a good thing.