aberdeen-music

Restaurant / Takeaway review thread

Lemonade

• 1 month later...

Went to Shabaaz for the first and last time last night. It was the only time I've ever not left a tip in a restaurant.

Got there straight after work, at around 6:30 and the restaurant was completely empty. We were given a table right next to a very, very hot radiator. We asked for another table and were told (that despite the fact there wasn't anyone else there) that this wouldn't be possible, they were all booked. Okay, fair enough.

We were offered poppadoms, which we took, and ordered a bottle of wine. When the wine arrived, the waiter attempted to take our poppadoms away, even though we were quite clearly still eating them. My friend finished her poppadom before me, and literally every time I stopped eating mine to have a wee bit of a chat, one of the circling waiters would come over and ask if I was finished. This happened about eight or nine times. Eventually, conscious of the fact that we were melting from the radiator and that we'd not even ordered any food by this point, I reluctantly gave up on my half-eaten poppadom.

We then ordered our main courses, and about 20 minutes later they arrived. The waiter stopped at the end of the table, interrupted our conversation and asked if we could "please clear the clutter from the table". Not quite understanding what they meant as we didn't actually have any of our stuff on the table, I asked if he meant their centrepieces and the wine which was in an ice bucket. He said yes, so we moved them out of the way so that he could get the hot plate down.

My mixed vegetable dopiaza was tasty enough, but my roti was completely incinerated. I'm not sure if this incineration had occurred on cooking, or if the heat from the radiator was responsible, but anyway, it was pretty inedible. Ordinarily I'd have sent this back and got another, but by this point we were really not enjoying ourselves and just wanted to leave. We finished up (after again being asked several times if we were done). Our waiter returned with the basket of hot towels, which he threw down on the table and asked "anything else?". Not "would you like to see the dessert menu?", or "would you like more drinks?". We asked for the bill and waited for what felt like a fucking age. The place had gotten a little busier, but there were still plenty of empty tables, As soon as we'd paid, the waiter started cleaning our table while we were still just finishing off our wine. Ace.

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered Pizza from Papa-Pizza last night. They seemed to have reasonable reviews on Just-Eat, and the menu looked pretty good.

We ordered it at 6:50pm, thinking it would come at about half 7. It arrived at 9:10pm. Mental. I phoned them at 8:15 asking where it was, since it was almost an hour and a half late. The women just said "It'll be about half an hour" and put the phone down. Lovely. Phoned again at 9:00, because I'm an impatient cunt and half an hour had been and gone. She said it's on it's way. I asked why it's taken well over 2 hours, and she said "Dunno" and put the phone down. Top lady. It arrived 10 mins after that, and the order was wrong, toppings missing. We also asked for no olives on one of the pizzas, which was clearly noted on the receipt aswell, so they obviously got that message. That was ignored though. Thought they might have even thrown in a couple of freebies due to the awful service and the ridiculous delay. I think I was being too optimistic with that one.

It wasn't cheap either. I wouldn't go there again. I've still not had a good Pizza in Aberdeen that wasn't from Pizza Hut or Domino's. Why're all the Pizza joints a heap o' shite?

Jesus, that's a ridiculous time to wait for a pizza! We got the worst food poisoning from Pizza Hut a couple of months ago, so, so ill.

Anyway, we went to Moonfish Cafe a couple of weeks ago. Go there maybe once a month or so, and the staff always seem to relish the challenge of coming up with an exciting vegan menu. Usually, as a vegetarian/vegan/person who generally enjoys food, if you go to a restaurant and are told that you are going to be having three salad courses, you sort of die a little bit inside. Not here.

First up was a puy lentil-based salad with rocket, red cabbage and dates. The veggies were really fresh and crisp and the lentils warm and beautifully cooked. I have absolutely no idea what they put in their dressings in that place, but oh my god, I think they have wizards working in that kitchen. If I could make this dish, exactly how they make it, I'd probably not bother to eat anything else. Delicious, all the flavours blended into each other beautifully, although nothing was too overpowering. Great aftertaste as well, made me want more.

Next I had a sun-dried tomato, butter bean and potato salad which was really more of a cassoulet. Again, the veg was so fresh and well cooked. The dish had a bit of a kick to it and was a lovely filling dish for a wintery evening. Portion size was massive, I couldn't quite finish it. Really, really good though.

To finish, I had a fruit salad. Really flavourful fruit, but again, it was the dressing that made this. Nutty, cinnamon-y and slightly smoky, again, no idea, just wow.

The other half ordered scallops for starter (he always does, so do most of the folk I've gone here with, so I assume they must be pretty great) and salmon for main (which smelled amazing and apparently tasted amazing too). We had this with a malbec which was new on the wine menu and was pretty damn top-drawer.

Amazing food, lovely friendly service and great atmosphere. 10/10.

The Canton on Great Northern Road has to be the best Chinese take-away, their curry sauce is to die for. On sat night when it opens u wont get in the door for the crowds

and u will be lucky to get ur phone call answered, loads of mercs and 4x4's parked outside proving even the toffs love the place. They don't do deliveries though, shame....

• 3 weeks later...

I went to La Bonne Bistro the other day with my mum for some lunch. it was sadly disappointing.

first of all, when we walked in we waited at the door to be approached by a waitress. 1 was clearing a table and looked up and smiled at us, but then went back to clearing the table. we weren't sure if we should just walk in and sit anywhere. the waitress looked up again. still nothing. then a different waitress came round from the bar and said we could just sit anywhere. once seated, we ordered drinks. my mum ordered a lemonade. she was given a sprite. this is not lemonade and is 40p more than the lemonade listed, but she wasn't given an explanation or apology e.g "sorry, we're out of lemonade, is a sprite ok?".

not wanting to cause a fuss, we just ordered our lunch. I went for a smoked salmon open sandwich with fennel remoulade. it was pretty good but the sourdough bread was a bit tough and it was listed as being served with their homemade coleslaw. i got two slices of bread and a thimble of coleslaw. bit disappointing for £8.

my mum got a grilled chicken sandwich which was decent and served with fries and salad. I think for £9 it was pretty expensive but it was tasty enough.

so the food wasn't great for the price and the service was a bit poor.

I went to La Bonne Bistro the other day with my mum for some lunch. it was sadly disappointing.

first of all, when we walked in we waited at the door to be approached by a waitress. 1 was clearing a table and looked up and smiled at us, but then went back to clearing the table. we weren't sure if we should just walk in and sit anywhere. the waitress looked up again. still nothing. then a different waitress came round from the bar and said we could just sit anywhere. once seated, we ordered drinks. my mum ordered a lemonade. she was given a sprite. this is not lemonade and is 40p more than the lemonade listed, but she wasn't given an explanation or apology e.g "sorry, we're out of lemonade, is a sprite ok?".

not wanting to cause a fuss, we just ordered our lunch. I went for a smoked salmon open sandwich with fennel remoulade. it was pretty good but the sourdough bread was a bit tough and it was listed as being served with their homemade coleslaw. i got two slices of bread and a thimble of coleslaw. bit disappointing for £8.

my mum got a grilled chicken sandwich which was decent and served with fries and salad. I think for £9 it was pretty expensive but it was tasty enough.

so the food wasn't great for the price and the service was a bit poor.

Whoa whoa whoa. Sprite isn't classed as lemonade?

Was in La Bonne Bistro a few months ago and I have to agree with you regarding the food, it wasn't bad, just a bit meh. Won't be rushing back.

It was closed for a long time, they still had a poster in the window for Northern Lights festival. But they were renovating it about 1-2 months ago, and it has just opened last week I believe.

I made a personal boycott of Bonne Brasserie because they wouldn't serve me when I had a mohawk. If my mohawk is good enough for Rick Stein's Seafood Resteraunt in Padstow, then its good enough for your poxy resteraunt in Aberdeen!

• 1 month later...

Anyone been to Mi Amore?

It looks quite nice and relatively well priced.

It's for Valentine's day and as much as it's nice to go somewhere nice, at the same time, me and the missus want to feel relaxed. Is it fucking gladrags material or is it casual? Also, I have no idea how to pronounce half of that menu, but it looks nice. Will I get looked down upon by snooty waiters for going "Ummm, that one please" as I point at words?