aberdeen-music

Restaurant / Takeaway review thread

Lemonade

It was attached to the Quarterdeck bar on the pier opposite the Moorings. Underneath some big tall office kind of building.

No wonder it shut down, what a god awful place for a restuarant. If it was as good as people say it is on here then hopefully they can relocate to somewhere more suitable.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had some mental curries lately.

Blue Spice: first time I'd ordered from there so I went for my standard curry house "acid test" - vegetable pakora and chicken madras. The pakora was off the goddamn chain, some of the best I've had in Aberdeen, and the curry was excellent. Not as hot as most I've had, but really flavourful. I'd go on, but I don't want to sound like one of those stupid shitty Evening Express food reviews. Best takeaway curry I've had in Abdn.

Nazma: predictably badass. Went for a bhuna for a change. Not much had at all but bags of flavour: rich, but not overly so. Loads of onions and big chunks of tomato. The rice tasted ricey, so that was good.

Khyber Pass: usually awesome but I was a bit let down this time. The madras was kinda watery and the naan bread... Jesus Christ. What an awful thing that was. It had the consistency of a fluffy pancake and tasted nothing like it should've. It was the weirdest thing. Not that it tasted bad or anything, but who wants a big pancake with their curry? It was more of a pillow than a naan.

I've never had a good curry from Kyber Pass. It's always totally bland, swimming in fat, and most of the sides look like they were scraped out of someone's gutter. Why is the aloo gobi black?!

The Culter Curry House is still the worst I've had recently though.

Went to F&B's the other night. Yes yes i know their a chain and the food sucks because of this but I don't really care. We wanted somewhere where we'd know what we were getting. Funny though, some woman who was either drunk or just a complete bitch was moaning at her husband the whole time about some nonsense then complained that her salad was bland. You got a salad at a chain restaurant and expected it to be full of flavour? Fuck off.

The funniest thing is after ranting at the poor waitress for ever, she then ordered desert, and moaned about that too. What a shitbag.

food was decent enough for the money. big garlic bread pizza thingy, 3 cokes, 2 new yorker burgers with cheese, 2 of their toffee pancakes thinies for under £40.

Went to the Filling Station for a meal with the missus' parents and her horrible dullard of a sister a week ago. The place seems to have a bad reputation from years ago, but apparently it's loads better now according to reviews. I never went to it when it was bad, but I've been there 3 or 4 times now in the past year or so, and it's ace. The cocktails are mega, and the food is badass if you like TGI Friday-style American grub. I had BBQ wings to start. They were banging. Pretty sure they feed their chickens steroids. Absolutely huge. Brutal. Then I had the Philly Cheese Burger, with fries that come IN A BUCKET. A bucket of fries is new to me, but I'm fully behind it. The burger was huge, and the "philly cheese" (read as: bright fucking yellow liquid cheese) was possibly the best thing I've ever eaten. I got it everywhere. No fucks given. Then I had about 5 cocktails because the missus' Dad was paying. They also have bottles of Brooklyn Lager, which is ace. I had a few of them. Glorious dining experience.

• Upvote 1

Went to the Filling Station for a meal with the missus' parents and her horrible dullard of a sister a week ago. The place seems to have a bad reputation from years ago, but apparently it's loads better now according to reviews. I never went to it when it was bad, but I've been there 3 or 4 times now in the past year or so, and it's ace. The cocktails are mega, and the food is badass if you like TGI Friday-style American grub. I had BBQ wings to start. They were banging. Pretty sure they feed their chickens steroids. Absolutely huge. Brutal. Then I had the Philly Cheese Burger, with fries that come IN A BUCKET. A bucket of fries is new to me, but I'm fully behind it. The burger was huge, and the "philly cheese" (read as: bright fucking yellow liquid cheese) was possibly the best thing I've ever eaten. I got it everywhere. No fucks given. Then I had about 5 cocktails because the missus' Dad was paying. They also have bottles of Brooklyn Lager, which is ace. I had a few of them. Glorious dining experience.

Sounds pretty decent, last time I was there it was Godawful. Pricey?

Chop Chop - I remember when this place opened near me (the Hilton/Woodside one) a couple of years back it was right good. I've been there twice again recently and it's absolutely terrible. The most tasteless crap you'll ever experience. I went about 3 weeks ago and got a chicken in black bean sauce. Tasted of sweet fuck all, so more recently when I was in I went for the "hottest thing on the menu" - a thai red curry - just so I could feel....... something. It tasted of nothing too. Don't waste your money in this place.

This sounds pretty authentic American diner. Particularly the yellow cheese goo and the bucket o' fries.

The only time I went there I found a bogey stuck to my menu and that pretty much set the tone for my meal.

That sounds much better than when I went there a few years ago. It was truly dreadful.