aberdeen-music

The 'wondering about stuff' thread

Soda Jerk

What is the best course of defensive action to take if you're being chased by a swarm of bees?

It's one of my all time greatest fears, so I figure I should learn how to escape from it, just in case it ever happens.

Run as fast as you can. Bees go at about 10mph so if you can get a shift on you should be ok, they get bored of chasing fairly quickly so it's not like you'll have to sprint for miles.

Who gets fine money? Say you're walking home, and you get a good hiding from some neanderthal in a tracksuit, and he's charged with a fine. Who get's that? Does it go to the police, who weren't there to do anything about? Or does the person who got twatted get it? Logically, it should really be the latter, but I certainly have my doubts.

Who gets fine money? Say you're walking home, and you get a good hiding from some neanderthal in a tracksuit, and he's charged with a fine. Who get's that? Does it go to the police, who weren't there to do anything about? Or does the person who got twatted get it? Logically, it should really be the latter, but I certainly have my doubts.

It probably goes to the neanderthal as compensation for his trainers getting scuffed when he was shoeing your head.

Am I eligible? | Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority

According to a mate of mine the Fuzz, it costs half a million to hand out an ASBO. neither of us can figure out where the money goes or comes from but to hand one out it costs the police/government half a million. Geez.

The way they hand them out left, right and centre for the drivers beeping horns after 11pm and such... I have my doubts about that figure.

What is the best course of defensive action to take if you're being chased by a swarm of bees?

It's one of my all time greatest fears, so I figure I should learn how to escape from it, just in case it ever happens.

Go under water ..... Until you drown. There are side effects I guess

Let them all sting you then the whole lot will die. The joke will well and truly be on them.

I have doubts too, but the guy i know isn't one to make stuff up and says he was given that information at the police college.

The home office say the average cost is 5350:

http://rds.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs2/r160.pdf

However a scheme to hand out junior ASBOs to under 16s in Scotland had an average cost of 500,000 each. But that's mostly down to the fact that only 14 were ever handed out, so the press (and opposition MSPs) spread the overall cost of the scheme across all of them rather than estimating the individual cost of each one seperately:

Flagship junior Asbos cost m each in taxpayers' cash - Scotsman.com News

The 5000 will cover the cost of solicitor's fees, paperwork and the court appearance according to the PDF. Which makes sense.

The money will come from the council budget I assume. When I was involved in getting an ASBO for a neighbour at my old flat it was the council that arranged it through their own solicitors.

They should build more jails, and put them in the jails they just built. When I worked at the court, I was told that they are trying to reduce the amount of people who are being sent to jail dramatically. More fines and community service. Clearly it's working. There's hardly any crime anymore.

They should build more jails, and put them in the jails they just built. When I worked at the court, I was told that they are trying to reduce the amount of people who are being sent to jail dramatically. More fines and community service. Clearly it's working. There's hardly any crime anymore.

You might have missed this story last week:

Short-term jail sentences are scrapped - Herald Scotland | News | Politics

Jail sentences of less than three months are going to replaced by community service.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest idol_wild
Whatever happened to footballing prodigy Sonny Pike? Last I'd heard of him he'd cracked up and was playining non league football in Dundee or something.

I remember that kid. I think his Dad pushed him too far, and the kid starting to believe all the smoke that was being blown up his arse. I think I recall reading a Where Are They Now? sort of feature in FourFourTwo magazine, and by all accounts, Pike could do anything with a football, but had no interest in actually learning the game, so coaches and teammates just gave up on him. He'd never ever pass the ball in team endeavours.

I think he developed some personal problems too.

Basically, he couldn't cut the mustard.

• 2 weeks later...