aberdeen-music

The 'wondering about stuff' thread

Soda Jerk

So let me get this straight then, the script said he wasn't a human being, but they couldn't make a puppet so instead they just got a fat guy to play Jabba. Then. Han Solo calls him a wonderful human being, because at this point, he is a human being, but then later in the Special Editions, they superimposed big fat slug Jabba. So then why didn't they cut out the "wonderful human being" line if he's back to being a fat slug guy?
The same reason they left in the Stormtrooper dunting his head off the blast door in the death star in Episode IV; and also left in (apparently, cos I've never heard it) Luke calling Leia "Carrie" in Episode VI. Apparently Lucas wanted to leave them ironically, or simply, because they were funny things people would end up talking about.

The same reason they left in the Stormtrooper dunting his head off the blast door in the death star in Episode IV; and also left in (apparently, cos I've never heard it) Luke calling Leia "Carrie" in Episode VI. Apparently Lucas wanted to leave them ironically, or simply, because they were funny things people would end up talking about.

Fair enough then. I saw an interesting quote from one of my mates on Facebook the other day:

Watching A New Hope. The special edition CGI has aged really badly, but the old school models still look ace.

Re-inserting the Jabba scene in Ep IV was utterly pointless anyway, Han just repeats most of the dialogue from the Greedo scene. I can't believe that the huge slug-like Jabba that we have established in ROTJ would be wandering about Mos Eisley anyway.

So let me get this straight then, the script said he wasn't a human being, but they couldn't make a puppet so instead they just got a fat guy to play Jabba. Then. Han Solo calls him a wonderful human being, because at this point, he is a human being, but then later in the Special Editions, they superimposed big fat slug Jabba. So then why didn't they cut out the "wonderful human being" line if he's back to being a fat slug guy?

I reckon it's just Han being roguishly ironic. He slips insults into conversation even when he's trying to butter up dangerous mobsters. He's a badass.

Bearing in mind that the line was composed when Han was the sort of guy that shot first.

The CGI sucks balls. I fucking hate the remakes, and I'm not even a fanboy. And in the prequels, CGI Yoda? NIT!

Agree with most of this but have to concede that the CGI Yoda in II and III does indeed look better than the "cancer victim" Yoda we see in TPM.

I don't like Greedo shooting first. Part of the aceness of that scene was that Han just fucking blew the cunt away in cold blood, making him a total anti-hero. It's boring if he kills him in self defence.
I didn't even know they changed it. Now that you've told me, I hate George Lucas and hope he dies from a really bad 40 year old lumberjack shirt related skin disease. Cunt.

Surely there aren't any humans in the Star Wars films, being as how they took place "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away", making it impossible for humans to have reached space?

But the fact that the bulk of the characters speak English doesn't bother you? The fact that they speak English means that any terms relating to race, gender, etc, can be transferred freely into the sci-fi/fantasy medium. That the race in question is undeniably as close an approximation to human as possible, is the reason why this works. Also, who's to say that the human race wasn't plundered for slaves at some distant point in time by a race extinct in the featured point in time in the Star Wars films? The fact that anakin is a slave as a child points toward this being a potentially close solution.

Also, Han spoke sarcastically and may have been referring to Jabba as a human only in regards to his personal traits, ie: compassion, love, etc.

Oh god those fucking remakes were so shit!! I swear they cut out part of a scene from jedi when the Rancor chomps the dancer and the Sarlac pit looked fuckign stupid, they trid to make it into the monster from Little Shop of Horrors.

Worse still, ir became defacto for years so you couldn;t even get the originals on VHS :swearing:

I didn't even know they changed it. Now that you've told me, I hate George Lucas and hope he dies from a really bad 40 year old lumberjack shirt related skin disease. Cunt.

It's awful, not only does Greedo shoot first, but he misses Han's head by about 3 feet, when he's sitting just across the table from him.

Oh god those fucking remakes were so shit!! I swear they cut out part of a scene from jedi when the Rancor chomps the dancer and the Sarlac pit looked fuckign stupid, they trid to make it into the monster from Little Shop of Horrors.

Worse still, ir became defacto for years so you couldn;t even get the originals on VHS :swearing:

The singer in Mos Eisley with the massive cartoony mouth is just abysmal as well. Also there's a couple of scenes when creatures run across the front of the screen and they just look completely out of proportion, like they are actually tiny creatures and right in front of the camera, not just far away.

EDIT - Also the bit where Han steps on Jabba's tail, and you can clearly see that he hasn't actually taken a step because of the movement he makes, it's like they just froze his character and lifted it over Jabbas tail. It looks horrible.

EDIT EDIT - And the superimposed Hayden Christensen!

But the fact that the bulk of the characters speak English doesn't bother you? The fact that they speak English means that any terms relating to race, gender, etc, can be transferred freely into the sci-fi/fantasy medium. That the race in question is undeniably as close an approximation to human as possible, is the reason why this works. Also, who's to say that the human race wasn't plundered for slaves at some distant point in time by a race extinct in the featured point in time in the Star Wars films? The fact that anakin is a slave as a child points toward this being a potentially close solution.

Also, Han spoke sarcastically and may have been referring to Jabba as a human only in regards to his personal traits, ie: compassion, love, etc.

Fair points, kudos to you sir. As for the English thing, I just put it down to the Star Trek "universal translator" cop out :up:

TAlso the bit where Han steps on Jabba's tail, and you can clearly see that he hasn't actually stepped because of the movement he makes, it's like they just froze his character and lifted it over Jabbas tail. It looks horrible.

Yeah, that was horrible. And Jabba looked tiny.

EDIT EDIT - And the superimposed Hayden Christensen!

That bugs the shite out of me, if they did that why not bin Alec Guiness for Ewan McGregor, makes nil sense.

George Lucas invented Jar Jar Binks. If he can see the invention of rasta gibberish talking irritants as a good idea I don't think he is going to care about teh intricacies of Greedo shooting first.

Has anyone seen The Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones reviews by RedLetterMedia on Youtube? They are absolutely sensational at points. I recommend anyone who hates the new trilogy to watch them.

The original trilogy are amazing. Lando is the King or Correlian. I like the bit where he goes "Come on Han old buddy, don't let me down" in Jedi. I used to rewind it and watch it over and over as a young boy.

• Upvote 1