aberdeen-music

The 'wondering about stuff' thread

Soda Jerk

What happens if you take something perfect and paint it red?....

That song fucking confuses me....

That guy's lyrics fucking suck. I heard this one of his on the radio a couple of weeks ago:

I wasn't gonna drink tonight, then i went to a bar

i wasn't gonna start that fight but they pushed me way too far,

and oooh,ooh,ooh,oooooh, you would never know,

oooh,ooh,ooh,oooooh, you would never know

i wasn't gonna watch the game, now i'm shouting at the ball

i checked my phone and saw your name, so i must have missed your call

Who goes to watch the game and then shouts at the ball?

"You stupid ball! Why didn't you go in the goal! You stupid fucking ball!"

Surnames.....I find them fascinating. I mean i know 3 walkers none related umpteen browns none related and many many more...I read up on my own surname and didnt find much other than "the name generally comes from the town with the same name" i prefer the serial killer refrence myself like....

"The name originally comes from the Hipperholme area Sutcliffe wood"...

But my interests with surnames doesnt end there...I mean where did surnames come from originally and did our ancestors pick there own.....

example would be my mums maiden name is McConnachie, Mc shows way back in time that would have been the name of an Irish clan, a Scottish example would be MacDonald with the Mac.

I'm pretty sure Mc or Mac has nothing to do with being Irish or Scottish, - it just means 'son of' and could just as easily be Mc or Mac no matter where you're from.

I'm pretty sure Mc or Mac has nothing to do with being Irish or Scottish, - it just means 'son of' and could just as easily be Mc or Mac no matter where you're from.

I was just away to say that, also Stewart came from the stewards who used to serve the royal family, then somewhere down the line it became a royal name and when they went to France, it became Stuart. Or so a primary school teacher told me when she got out the scottish surname book one day in class.

Who do old people get up so early? You'd think after 50 years of getting up early for work they'd enjoy a long lie in their retirement, not get up at 7.30.

I hate it when I'm running late in the morning and whilst trying to buy my paper I am held up further by a line of oldsters buying their P&J at half 6 for no reason whatsoever.

I was just away to say that, also Stewart came from the stewards who used to serve the royal family, then somewhere down the line it became a royal name and when they went to France, it became Stuart. Or so a primary school teacher told me when she got out the scottish surname book one day in class.

Yeah that's what it means. Stewart/Stuart was the Scottish house of nobility and Mary Stuart being the last queen of Scotland and a reet conniving bitch from what I heard. Probably why she got the chop.

I hate it when I'm running late in the morning and whilst trying to buy my paper I am held up further by a line of oldsters buying their P&J at half 6 for no reason whatsoever.

I feel the same when 'oldsters' (love it!) are catching the rush hour bus in to town on a morning, and you have to give up a seat for them, when they could have waited an hour or two to buy their crossword puzzles and denture glue, or when they clutter about in town on saturdays, when they've got all pissing week to do that.

It's the downside of working 9-5. You only get weekends to get stuff done. Saturdays in any city centre are horrible. Fogies should be taking advantage of glorious week days!

I feel the same when 'oldsters' (love it!) are catching the rush hour bus in to town on a morning, and you have to give up a seat for them, when they could have waited an hour or two to buy their crossword puzzles and denture glue, or when they clutter about in town on saturdays, when they've got all pissing week to do that.

It's the downside of working 9-5. You only get weekends to get stuff done. Saturdays in any city centre are horrible. Fogies should be taking advantage of glorious week days!

they wind me up no end, see when they spontaneously stop for no reason walking down the pavement as if contemplating whether or not to buy this edition's Puzzler magazine now or after they get their blue rinse. I want to stab them in the face. Nothing more, just a quick *stab* and walk on, point made. I win fucker...

they wind me up no end, see when they spontaneously stop for no reason walking down the pavement as if contemplating whether or not to buy this edition's Puzzler magazine now or after they get their blue rinse. I want to stab them in the face. Nothing more, just a quick *stab* and walk on, point made. I win fucker...

Best not go to Markies at lunch time then, it's like trying to get through the hordes of shuffling zombies in Dawn of the Dead....sticking a screwdriver in Ethel's ear would fair ruin her daily amble...

It always bothered me when queues of them are waiting to get on to the bus at rush hour. I'm always running late so I'm not exactly at my most patient but it does my head in. They all seem to know each other and the bus driver as well. "Oh lets have a nice long chat to the driver, shall we?"

I always just figured public transport was the highlight of their day.

• 3 weeks later...

With regard to certain sayings... can someone tell me what or where "...it'll tide you over" comes from?

y'know as in someone may say to you "just have a snack for now, to tide you over?"

What the fuck does that mean????

I presume it must have some connection with sailors at sea, eating/drinking the last of their rations before waiting for the tide to turn, and then they can go ashore to restock...or summat like that?...... waddya think?

Does anyone know?

put me out of my misery ffs....

:laughing:

With regard to certain sayings... can someone tell me what or where "...it'll tide you over" comes from?

y'know as in someone may say to you "just have a snack for now, to tide you over?"

What the fuck does that mean????

I presume it must have some connection with sailors at sea, eating/drinking the last of their rations before waiting for the tide to turn, and then they can go ashore to restock...or summat like that?...... waddya think?

Does anyone know?

put me out of my misery ffs....

:laughing:

Sounds convincing thats for sure....

I recently found out what the saying "freeze the balls of a brass monkey" meant and i was pretty impressed.....A brass monkey was a brass plate old ships used to have that sat there cannon ballls on....And when the brass plate frozer the balls used to fall off....