aberdeen-music

The 'wondering about stuff' thread

Soda Jerk

Can ducks, swans and other pond dwelling animals get hypothermia?

I was out at my folks at Kingswells recently and had to walk past a pond on the way there yet there were ducks in the pond even though it was fucking freezing. If they don't get hypothermia, they must have shrivelled nadgers at the very least.

Can ducks, swans and other pond dwelling animals get hypothermia?

I was out at my folks at Kingswells recently and had to walk past a pond on the way there yet there were ducks in the pond even though it was fucking freezing. If they don't get hypothermia, they must have shrivelled nadgers at the very least.

All ducks are Geordies, it's a scientific fact.

If they don't get hypothermia, they must have shrivelled nadgers at the very least.

I'll field this one;

Ducks penises and testicles shrivel up and fall off in the winter, only for a new set to be grown once spring returns.

What im wondering is regarding instinct....How do animals know not to walk off cliffs?....How do they know they will die of they have zero instincts regarding death or being dead......I was watching a programme and sheep were being chased by dogs...These sheep would run like hell to the edge of a cliff then simply run the opposite direction....How do they know that jumping off the cliff doesnt bring them freedom instead of death....

We are humans with human brains that are capable of learning from experience...so your saying that all sheep have fell a little bit in the past then learnt that the cliff means death?...What you being a human with human capabiltys got to do with sheep?....I once saw a vet stuff his whole arm up a cow right upto the shoulder ....The cow did not enjoy this...Yet every day for the entire cows pregnancy said guy had his arm up this cows arse...Why if the cow didnt find it natural did it not learn and kick this vet in the head...

You mix human emotions with animal abilitys lol....Sheep lick a light bulb for any reason you can bet they will not learn not to do it again.....

My wondering about stuff still stands :p:D

Small scale experiences. example. When you were younger you probably touched something quite hot, from then on you were more careful you didn't pick up something else that could be hot. You didn't need to be burned alive before you knew not to walk into an incinerator.

For that theory to work in the sheep example they would have had to have fallen/jumped from something not high enough to kill them but high enough to hurt/give them a fright.

Sheep don't climb trees as a lamb so I don't believe this to be viable.

For that theory to work in the sheep example they would have had to have fallen/jumped from something not high enough to kill them but high enough to hurt/give them a fright.

Sheep don't climb trees as a lamb so I don't believe this to be viable.

Oh for fucks sake everyone! It works because if it didn't then there would be no sheep, or humans or anything else left alive and this planet would just consist of a bunch of bloodstained cliffs.

Everything too stupid to realise that falling a long way equals death, or which has no instinct telling it not to walk off a cliff, has already succumbed to the trials of evolution.

Also from personal experience (other) animals are much smarter than we realise and us humans are much dumber. For example if you released a naked human into a jungle then how long do you think it would last? I'd wager that in the league table of animals for this event humans would place near the bottom despite our brain power.

Two nights ago I saw a fox running through the fish market. I reckon a fox can survive in Union Square a lot longer than a chav would last in Farthing Wood. I rest my case.

Oh for fucks sake everyone! It works because if it didn't then there would be no sheep, or humans or anything else left alive and this planet would just consist of a bunch of bloodstained cliffs.

Everything too stupid to realise that falling a long way equals death, or which has no instinct telling it not to walk off a cliff, has already succumbed to the trials of evolution.

Also from personal experience (other) animals are much smarter than we realise and us humans are much dumber. For example if you released a naked human into a jungle then how long do you think it would last? I'd wager that in the league table of animals for this event humans would place near the bottom despite our brain power.

Two nights ago I saw a fox running through the fish market. I reckon a fox can survive in Union Square a lot longer than a chav would last in Farthing Wood. I rest my case.

Ridiculous. Intelligence or lack of has nothing to do with how a species has evolved and adapted to their own particular lifestyle and habitat. A naked human would probably freeze to death out in the wild, unlike, yknow... an animal covered in fur? I doubt my teeth and rather puny jaws could rip through the torso of a farm animal either, if I was to prey on animals to survive. Is it because I'm stupid, or because I'm just not cut out for that sort of thing?

Ridiculous. Intelligence or lack of has nothing to do with how a species has evolved and adapted to their own particular lifestyle and habitat. A naked human would probably freeze to death out in the wild, unlike, yknow... an animal covered in fur? I doubt my teeth and rather puny jaws could rip through the torso of a farm animal either, if I was to prey on animals to survive. Is it because I'm stupid, or because I'm just not cut out for that sort of thing?

You do possess the tools (intellectually) to remedy those situations though, like using sharp stones to cut up meat and skin and make rudimentary clothing from hides.

What im wondering is regarding instinct....How do animals know not to walk off cliffs?....How do they know they will die of they have zero instincts regarding death or being dead......I was watching a programme and sheep were being chased by dogs...These sheep would run like hell to the edge of a cliff then simply run the opposite direction....How do they know that jumping off the cliff doesnt bring them freedom instead of death....

I've skimmed this thread so apolgies to any toes i'm stepping on...

A sheep understands the boundary of that cliff in the same way the parasite that thrives in a heron's stomach knows it has more chance of getting there by latching onto the fish...i.e. it doesn't. There is no cognitive thought involved. It doesn't consciously make the decision to not jump, millions of years of evolution tells it what to do. At some point on the evolutionary timeline, sheep who jumped off the cliff were outnumbered by sheep who turned away and that trend continued in that direction untill today... where there are no kamikaze sheep.

Even us Humans, for whom cognitive thought has come about as a result of evolution, are still subject to these trends, it's just that they take millions of years to take effect... I swear that double pronged scaley nob i've got is gonna catch on.

For example if you released a naked human into a jungle then how long do you think it would last?

There's no snow in the jungle buddy. Freezing to death wouldn't be a huge issue for you. Likewise chasing down your prey and ripping into with your teeth probably wouldn't be your best bet for nutrition.

I rest my case LOL

You know when you buy one of those big 2 litre things of milk from the supermarket?

MilkREX_228x309.jpg

What the fuck are those things called? Is it a bottle? A carton? A jug?

There's an uncanny resemblance between those milk bottle/carton/jugs and those things that disabled people pee into. One might suspect that they share a common ancestor?

male_urinal.jpg