aberdeen-music

The 'wondering about stuff' thread

Soda Jerk

Orange: what came first - the colour or the fruit?

Fruit. Originally from sanskrit word 'naranga', this developed to variations of 'norange' as the fruit was brought to europe by sailors. The initial N was dropped over time as people were confused and thought it was 'an' orange, instead of 'a' norange.

The colour was named after the fruit.

Why do dog owners have to carry wee placcy bags around in case of a poo in the street but horse owners can just let them pet unload in the street without having to utilise a bin bag?

I asked the missus about this on Sunday when we were out with her horse. Apparently they are supposed to kick the shite into the side of the road if old dobbin pinches one off. I'm yet to see that happen though, thankfully.

How often do horses happen along a pavement though? I used to live in a village surrounded by farms and livery yards and the, and the shit was on the road.

Yes I realise that, I just find it strange that huge piles of horse crap on the road is fine but dog poo isn't even if it was on the road.

Bigsby has possibly come up with the reason but personally I find it odd and as a car owner it's pretty irritating when horse shit ends up on your tyres etc...horses should be in fields in my opinion...

Yes I realise that, I just find it strange that huge piles of horse crap on the road is fine but dog poo isn't even if it was on the road.

Bigsby has possibly come up with the reason but personally I find it odd and as a car owner it's pretty irritating when horse shit ends up on your tyres etc...horses should be in fields in my opinion...

I agree 100% with you, but don't tell 'er indoors!

Guest Gladstone

It's cos horses eat grass and hay, and that sort of thing - their shit is organic (I think that's the right word) - basically just grass.

Dog shit is horrible nasty stuff though that you can catch diseases from as Bigsby rightly points out.

Meh, there are plenty of places to live in this country where you've got no fucking chance of seeing a horse walking up your street, unless perhaps it's being ridden by a Police officer in riot gear, so if you're lucky enough to see one, you should appreciate it.

I really don't give a fuck what gets on my fucking tyres.

I choose to live somewhere that is probably limited in terms of what you have in Edinburgh but I like it, flaws and all, and it so happens that if I want to look at a horse there are plenty of fields nearby. Happens that I don't give a shite about looking at horses.

I'm really not sure why you have chosen this as a point of argument to be honest.

I choose to live somewhere that is probably limited in terms of what you have in Edinburgh but I like it, flaws and all, and it so happens that if I want to look at a horse there are plenty of fields nearby. Happens that I don't give a shite about looking at horses.

I'm really not sure why you have chosen this as a point of argument to be honest.

Well I grew up in Milltimber where we had lots of horses and therefore lots of horse crap on the streets. Never bothered me at all and I used to get fed up of folk moaning about it, I remember one woman suggesting that the horses be made to wear nappies. :rolleyes:

I have no idea where you live and I therefore wasn't having a go at wherever it is as you appear to think I was. Was just making the point that you don't usually get horses on the streets of the inner city and therefore if you have horses you are likely to be in a nice area with some fields nearby and that you should therefore appreciate that, horseshit and all. :)

I have no idea where you live and I therefore wasn't having a go at wherever it is as you appear to think I was. Was just making the point that you don't usually get horses on the streets of the inner city and therefore if you have horses you are likely to be in a nice area with some fields nearby and that you should therefore appreciate that, horseshit and all. :)

Yeah, I'd much rather be back out in the country surrounded by horse shit than in Northfield where I swear there was a human shit on the pavement. I don't study dookie in enough detail to be sure, but it sure as fuck didn't look like your average pile of dog shit. And I live at the posh end of Northfield.

*Shudder*

Yeah, I'd much rather be back out in the country surrounded by horse shit than in Northfield where I swear there was a human shit on the pavement. I don't study dookie in enough detail to be sure, but it sure as fuck didn't look like your average pile of dog shit. And I live at the posh end of Northfield.

*Shudder*

Anywhere near the Shutterspeed crew?

I live in Stonehaven, I didn't think you were having a go at that, I just found it odd that you suggested I should appreciate having the opportunity to see horse shit by dint of staying somewhere where you can see horses on the street. My point is that I can go just out of the town and see horses if need be, I just don't see why horses have to be steered through the town and leave shit everywhere when there are plenty of country roads around Stonehaven that are far more suitable for horses. Certainly with some of the young maniacs driving around Stonehaven these days, who I really can't see displaying any consideration by slowing down around the horses as per standard road user etiquette, it's probably far less stressful for the horses.

It's not like Stonehaven is some country town that is the only thoroughfare for horses, there did used to be horses in a paddock more inside the town and so I could understand the necessity then, but that hasn't been used for horses in years so they are all out of the main town now.

To sum up, it is my personal belief that there is no point for horses to be in a town unless it is for some parade or something, and I just find it odd that they can leave their often quite substantial mess when other animals can't regardless of how 'safe' their poo may be! :)

Guest idol_wild
Horses for courses.

I was tempted to interject with this gag, but I thought to myself "That's pretty bad; not even Bigsby would use that!"

I was incorrect.

Guest Gladstone

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Why are all women called Lucy really pretty?

There was a lass nicknamed 'Juicy Lucy' when I was younger who broke this theory into pieces.

Where are you

from? There was a Juicy Lucy in New Deer who used to walk round the village barefoot. Please tell me there was only ever one Juicy Lucy.