aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Football is now offically a game for play acting nancy boys and Scotland just doesn't do play acting nancy boys. We're fucked. It's over. It's the acceptance of it that is the most galling. The "most good strikers would do that in the same situation" attitude (probably true, Darren Mackie wouldn't). The fact that Eduardo's natural reaction is to take a tumble rather than pass the ball into the net.

The thing that annoyed me was that his first touch was so good, he could have just put the ball in to round off a good move...

Aye, it's really annoying that the mentality of the player is to go for a dive rather than the proper footballing option of potentially scoring a goal.

The better team won easily over the two legs, Celtic were simply beaten by a far better team.

celtic are slow, arsenal are quick (not just pace, but touches, passes, movement and vision). as everyone has said a real cut above.

Arsenals movement (on and off the ball) impressed me so much tonight, on flanks and through the middle they were never content with running in triangles or straight lines and still converting 1 touch football at times, stunning to watch! the celtic defence didn't know which heel to stand on the whole night (and that was giving them at least 2/3 yards berth).

willo flood was excellent

I think the format is identical to the CL.

Yep, except nothing for 3rd place finishes. Not keen at all on this setup :( Results such as Aberdeen or Lech Poznan getting through to the last 32 just aren't going to happen - which means we'll see the same old teams in the last 32 year in year out, exactly what's wrong with the Champions League. Fair enough, it's better than the nonsense system of the last few years, but it's still designed to ensure that crappy teams don't manage to get very far - which seems completely counterproductive given Platini's vision of getting more countries represented.

I'd have loved to have seen a return of the original Champions League format of having two leagues in the semi final stage with only winners progressing - maybe 2008/2009 wouldn't be such a great example, but taking the year before, you'd have had Bayern Munich, Getafe, Bayer Leverkusen, Zenit St. Petersburg, Rangers, Sporting Lisbon, Fiorentina and PSV Eindhoven all battling it out to get a spot in the final. If that's not enough spots, then they could add in an extra team - 8 games, 5 teams in each semi final league with just one team going through would produce some amazing football as they'd almost certainly have to go for the win in every game.

As an aside, am I right in thinking that Rangers are now in Pot 2 for the Champions League draw as a result of Copenhagen and Panathinaikos going out?

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK770i/R8BC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Francis Jeffers has been transfer listed following his sending off in the Carling Cup last night. Headbutted one of the Port Vale players or summat like that.

Maybe the Dons should look him up!

I heard he tried to headbutt him but missed.....

I love you. :up: x 100.

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK770i/R8BC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I love you. :up: x 100.

Easy to say at 02:30 in the morning. I've heard it so many times before. I know you'll never return my texts in the cold light of day.....

I see Wenger got straight to the point as always....

BBC SPORT | Football | Europe | Eduardo defended over dive claims

Yep, except nothing for 3rd place finishes. Not keen at all on this setup :( Results such as Aberdeen or Lech Poznan getting through to the last 32 just aren't going to happen - which means we'll see the same old teams in the last 32 year in year out, exactly what's wrong with the Champions League. Fair enough, it's better than the nonsense system of the last few years, but it's still designed to ensure that crappy teams don't manage to get very far - which seems completely counterproductive given Platini's vision of getting more countries represented.

I'd have loved to have seen a return of the original Champions League format of having two leagues in the semi final stage with only winners progressing - maybe 2008/2009 wouldn't be such a great example, but taking the year before, you'd have had Bayern Munich, Getafe, Bayer Leverkusen, Zenit St. Petersburg, Rangers, Sporting Lisbon, Fiorentina and PSV Eindhoven all battling it out to get a spot in the final. If that's not enough spots, then they could add in an extra team - 8 games, 5 teams in each semi final league with just one team going through would produce some amazing football as they'd almost certainly have to go for the win in every game.

As an aside, am I right in thinking that Rangers are now in Pot 2 for the Champions League draw as a result of Copenhagen and Panathinaikos going out?

Was just looking at the list of qualifiers and Pot Seedings for Champs League:

Pot one

Barcelona

CHELSEA

LIVERPOOL

MANCHESTER UNITED

AC Milan

ARSENAL

Sevilla

Bayern Munich

Pot Two

Lyon

Inter Milan

Real Madrid

CSKA Moscow

Porto

AZ Alkmaar

Juventus

RANGERS

Pot Three

Olympiakos

Marseille

Dinamo Kiev

Stuttgart

Fiorentina

Atletico Madrid

Bordeaux

Besiktas

Pot Four

Wolfsburg

Standard Liege

Maccabi Haifa

FC Zurich

Rubin Kazan

Unirea Urziceni

APOEL Nicosia

Debrecen

Its an interesting mix, with Sevilla in Pot 1 and Real in Pot 2, ditto AC & Inter, German Champs Wolfsburg in Pot 4, Rangers in Pot 2. Obviously previous performance in Europe determines seedings, but its just interesting to see how long those points last (ie Sevilla). Its feasible to get a group that is really weak looking for example Sevilla, Rangers, Olympiakos, Debrecen whilst at the same time get some pretty toughies like Barca, Inter, Bordeaux and Wolfsburg.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Bordeaux get on this year, think Gourcuff could be a fucking superstar very soon, surprised he's not been shipped out The Greatest League in the World*TM for silly money this summer.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Bordeaux get on this year, think Gourcuff could be a fucking superstar very soon, surprised he's not been shipped out The Greatest League in the World*TM for silly money this summer.

I think he's nursing his wounds from a pretty poor start to his career in Italy.

Just wanted to add - I dont think there should be seedings for anything. Its boring as fuck having all the big teams split up early on, handing out 4-0 gubbings to weaker teams. Imagine if all the teams were in one pot and Barca, Real, Inter and AC came out in one group and Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal in another? it would be EPIC!

Also - the next round of the league cup in Scotland is seeded. what a fucking joke. theres only 16 teams left, 11 of which are SPL, which means the top 8 from last season SPL are seeded and will draw either Saints, Fake Saints, Falkirk or any of the Div 1 teams left. Whats the point? Why cant they leave it to chance? Its be great if a couple of Div 1s drew each other and guarantee some SFL interest in the last 8. Wouldnt surprise me if the Seeded teams were guaranteed a home draw next as well!

Just wanted to add - I dont think there should be seedings for anything. Its boring as fuck having all the big teams split up early on, handing out 4-0 gubbings to weaker teams. Imagine if all the teams were in one pot and Barca, Real, Inter and AC came out in one group and Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal in another? it would be EPIC!

They can't risk losing money on a lot of weaker games in respect to ticket sales and TV money so that won't happen.

UEFA and their Fair Play Campaign (as long as it suits the big teams) is the biggest shambles in football these days.

I'd make the Champions League the Champions from each country only and the winners of their main cup competition, and no seeding. That'd make the Premiership (and the other better leagues) more interesting too.

Linked with Gareth Bale on-loan today.

Wish we'd stop getting linked with players and actually bring a couple in. Bale on the left wing would be a brilliant signing for us (as long as his curse has worn-off...) but it's probably bullshit like everything else. The Earnshaw story seems to be dead in the water, too. Apparently we tried to negotiate a couple of loan deals as part of the Bassong deal, but I'm not sure if that came through. I'd love any of Gareth Bale, Giovani dos Santos, Danny Rose, John Bostock, and Dorian (is that his name? I dunno) Dervite though.

Word on the street is that Hughton deliberately played two full-backs at centre-back last night to drill it into Fat Ash's thick skull that the team is thin as fuck. We got a right old scare last night and, to be honest, the last thing we need this season is a long cup run, but maybe it made Ashley sit up and take notice. I still maintain that we desperately need some pace in the team, but the current first XI SHOULD be enough to win a play-off spot. Of course, if we have a couple of injuries, we're absolutely fucked. We need cover just about everywhere but in goal and in centre mid.

Really pleased with the way Danny Guthrie and Shola played last night, though. Guthrie is just a cracking wee player at this level; a lot of people only really know him for breaking that Hull lad's leg last year, but he does a very good job of recycling possession. Maybe needs to be a little bit more assertive sometimes, but he's always got his head up looking for the next pass before the ball's reached him. That immediately makes him a much better choice than Nicky Butt (who sounded completely hopeless last night).

Shola's on-fire. Complete confidence player. I never thought I'd see the day when I could call Shola Ameobi our "match-winner," but he just looks so sure of himself at the moment. Most of our fans (myself included) have given him a lot of stick over the years but I'd be absolutely delighted if he managed to bang-in 20+ this season.

Gary Caldwell was hilarious for Celtic again last night.

The boy is a total balloon.

SPL standard. Found badly wanting at European/International level.

Cracking goal at the end from Donati though.

Are you trying to say Caldwell is SPL quality?! o_O

If you look at some of the 4th round qualifying matches: Arsenal v Celtic, Debrecen v Levski Sofia, FC Zurich v FK Ventspils etc. you'll see that the weaker teams DO have a better chance of CL footie. They split the 4th round into two pots to give some weaker teams the chance of top flight footie and, more importantly, a good dollop of cash from the TV rights.

Looking at the fourth pot in the CL draw, I reckon there's probably a few countries represented there that have never/rarely featured before. that doesn't seem completely counter-productive to me.

I was at Upton Park last night, incredible atmosphere.

Did you feel comfortable in the stadium?

Personally I don't think I would be able to relax in that situation. It's one thing going to Ibrox with the dandies, good atmosphere with a bit of tension but you know its never really going to kick off.

What was Upton park tube station like before and after, bet it was fucking mental.

Francis Jeffers has been transfer listed following his sending off in the Carling Cup last night. Headbutted one of the Port Vale players or summat like that.

Maybe the Dons should look him up!

So it took a headbutt for us to get rid of him, and not the fact he's a striker who just can't score, ever? C'mon Laws. Get rid quick and replace him. Good grief he's useless.