aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

(speaking from an Aberdeen perspective in the last ten years) used to / still do release players who are 'too small' in their mid teens.

Davie Ross was released by Aberdeen when he hit 16 for that exact reason. Went to Locos, went straight into their first team, scored a few goals then Aberdeen signed him again on a 2 year deal.

At the end of which he was released.

It's strange how we always seem to churn out big, strong, solid footballers, but when did we last produce a good, tricky player who excels with the ball at his feet? Whereas, to use a bad example, somewhere like Trinidad & Tobago produces players who can really light up a game, like Jason Scotland, Colin Samuel, Russel Latapy, Kenwyne Jones etc. What's different between Trinidadian kids and Scottish kids?

Now, he's no Messi, but Darren Fletcher's reactions and retention of the ball are quite superb. He's not doing stepovers or anything, but he is decent at running at folk on the wing just by having a quick pair of feet. The way he can shake off an oncoming tackle is quite something. However, he did seem to have a bit of a stinker against Norway, but he's hugely important in United's midfield. I rate him leaps and bounds beyond Carrick anyway.

Now, he's no Messi, but Darren Fletcher's reactions and retention of the ball are quite superb. He's not doing stepovers or anything, but he is decent at running at folk on the wing just by having a quick pair of feet. The way he can shake off an oncoming tackle is quite something. However, he did seem to have a bit of a stinker against Norway, but he's hugely important in United's midfield. I rate him leaps and bounds beyond Carrick anyway.

Agreed. Fletcher would get into most line ups. I wouldn't say he's better than Carrick though. They are equal in most respects right down to the gormless expression but Carrick's passing is class at times, he's been off the boil recently.

The last silky scottish player was probably John Collins, he could turn on a sixpence and was always ready to offer an unnecessary hospital-pass backheel.

I think Carrick has been playing far too deep recently, and not been past the half way line creating chances and fiding that cutting pass. He's playing literally a couple of yards infront of the centre backs, and it's certainly effecting his level of creativity right now. Carrick has got heaps of composure though, especially when he spots an oppertunity to score. He doesn't smash the ball. His goal against Wigan away last seaon is a perfect example. He literally just angled his foot to deflect the ball and it was right into the top corner. A mindset like Rooney would have punted that right over the terraces.

Was down at Craven Cottage last night watching Fulham's yoofa cup game.

It was a welcome break from watching the dandies, that's for sure. Pretty comfortable 3-1 win for Fulham although Akmar could have snatched another goal near the end of the match.

West Ham Vs Spurs on Sunday, bring it on! :up:

I think Carrick has been playing far too deep recently, and not been past the half way line creating chances and fiding that cutting pass. He's playing literally a couple of yards infront of the centre backs, and it's certainly effecting his level of creativity right now. Carrick has got heaps of composure though, especially when he spots an oppertunity to score. He doesn't smash the ball. His goal against Wigan away last seaon is a perfect example. He literally just angled his foot to deflect the ball and it was right into the top corner. A mindset like Rooney would have punted that right over the terraces.

I think you're bang-on about Carrick. I think he's a brilliant midfielder; he's got an exceptional range of passing (on-pair with just about any other player in the league) and he really is ice-cool. I'd have him in my team any day of the week, but I'm not sure why Ferguson's playing him so deep these days. He's alright at breaking up play, but I wouldn't say it's his strongest attribute. Surely Manure would benefit more from having him in a slightly more advanced role? He's the type of player that you can just park in the middle, feed the ball to, and focus most of your play through.

Always pisses me off to know that we turned down the chance to sign him a few years ago. Sir Bobby goes to Freddy Shepherd and tells him he wants to sign Mikey Carrick... who does Freddy go and sign instead? Fucking Nicky Butt. Blergh.

Was down at Craven Cottage last night watching Fulham's yoofa cup game.

It was a welcome break from watching the dandies, that's for sure. Pretty comfortable 3-1 win for Fulham although Akmar could have snatched another goal near the end of the match.

West Ham Vs Spurs on Sunday, bring it on! :up:

I heard Andrew Johnson almost got broken in half.

BTW who's that in your avatar? It looks like Lily Allen...

Leon Knight! That boy's a bloody midget... 5'5" or 5'6" if I recall correctly. Seems a like-for-like replacement for Richard Offiong, but watching him run straight into Lee Wilkie and Darren Dods is going to be pretty amusing.

Mike Ashley to announce on Monday whether he's staying on or accepting a big. At last, some closure.

Good news day for us, actually. We've offered Lovenkrands a contract (he's an absolute cheetah and he'll be lethal in this division), chairman Derek Llambias says that the club won't be accepting any bids for Steven Taylor, and the Monday club sale announcement.

Hope we beat Palace tomorrow, like. Fucking hate Neil Warnock.

Fletcher is a quality player. He signed for Man U when he was sixteen though so he's not exactly a product of "Scottish Football". I dare say if he'd signed for the Dons at that age he would be shit by now, like a lot of the Dons players.

Murrrrrrr, Lovenkrands is shit.

Lovenkrands is hardly a world-beater but he showed more hunger during 5 months than Damien Duff, Fabricio Coloccini, Nicky Butt, and Michael Owen did during their entire careers with the club. Technically he's pretty poor but he's fast as fuck and knows where the goal is. Scored a few important goals and in the Championship he should do well as we badly need a mobile striker. He'd be a very good addition to the team.

It's the fuckin' Championship, lads...

peter lovenkrands is one of the very best examples of a ferrari-with-no-steering-wheel type of player

That is right on the money. You can't fault the guy for his amount of effort and he has a cracking turn of pace but fuck me he just seems to forget the point of running with the ball is to get it in an advantageous position for your team not career aimlessly forward totally absorbed in the fact that you have a ball at your feet. He looks like a cat with a ball of tin foil most of the time. When he is concentrating though he does look quite good.

That is right on the money. You can't fault the guy for his amount of effort and he has a cracking turn of pace but fuck me he just seems to forget the point of running with the ball is to get it in an advantageous position for your team not career aimlessly forward totally absorbed in the fact that you have a ball at your feet. He looks like a cat with a ball of tin foil most of the time. When he is concentrating though he does look quite good.

Agree completely. He's still a dirty hun though.

How did he get on with Schalke?

Agree completely. He's still a dirty hun though.

How did he get on with Schalke?

Not particularly well I don't think.

Signing him is an absolute no-brainer for us, though. Pace to burn, and it's not like you need to have the skills of Leo Messi to succeed in the league we're in. Looked a total headless chicken when we played him wide left; he really didn't have a clue what to do when he had the ball at his feet in the Premiership, but he looked pretty dangerous when he was played up front on the shoulder of the last defender. Completely outshone Michael Owen during his time with us.

Not saying he's a brilliant player or anything, but he'd be a useful addition to a squad that's almost completely bereft of any pace.