aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Dennis Bergkamp left at the end of the 05-06 season leaving the number 10 jersey vacant. Gallas joined after the season had started by which point squad numbers 2-6 had already been allocated to Diaby, Cole, Fabregas, Toure and Senderos.

Then they were too darn lazy to fix it the summer after.

The likes of Ronaldo and Bendtner have no such excuses though and shouldn't be allowed to play.

Gallas was given the number 10 shirt by Wenger so that the next player to follow Bergkamp didn't have to live up to his legacy. Personally I want to see the first team being assigned the squad numbers 1-20 and the youngsters given numbers above that. This is how I manage my teams in Championship Manager,..

Gallas was given the number 10 shirt by Wenger so that the next player to follow Bergkamp didn't have to live up to his legacy. Personally I want to see the first team being assigned the squad numbers 1-20 and the youngsters given numbers above that. This is how I manage my teams in Championship Manager,..

I do this too, except youngsters that have potential to be given a chance during the season are given 20-something and ones I'm trying to ship out on loan are 30-something.

Goalkeepers are 1, 13, 30, 40, 50 and so on. Players I want to move on are given 40-something. I like Football Manager.

I do this too, except youngsters that have potential to be given a chance during the season are given 20-something and ones I'm trying to ship out on loan are 30-something.

Goalkeepers are 1, 13, 30, 40, 50 and so on. Players I want to move on are given 40-something. I like Football Manager.

I number my starting X1 with 1-11. Then I pick a player to be my reserve for each position, and they get the corrresponding number but 10 higher. eg. my right back will get 2, and my reserve right back will get 12. Defensive midfielder gets 6 and reserve defensive midfielder get's 16. Thus my reserve left winger gets 21 and my reserve keeper wears 22. After that it's just a free for all. I always try to give 19 to a promising young striker cos 19 is my lucky number.

I number my starting X1 with 1-11. Then I pick a player to be my reserve for each position, and they get the corrresponding number but 10 higher. eg. my right back will get 2, and my reserve right back will get 12. Defensive midfielder gets 6 and reserve defensive midfielder get's 16. Thus my reserve left winger gets 21 and my reserve keeper wears 22. After that it's just a free for all. I always try to give 19 to a promising young striker cos 19 is my lucky number.

This is a good point. 19 and 21 are both good numbers for promising strikers.

After 1-11 its a free for all for me although I do like to give 21 to promising young strikers too! I can probably go one better on the pointlessly obsessive sadness stakes and disclose that after a couple of pre season games a player may have their number changed if they dont suit the one theyve been allocated. Like your beard doesnt go with number 17, take 19 instead, youre too small for 14 little man, 15 looks better.

I'll never adopt a condescending smirk when walking past the Warhammer shop again.

Another win for the Toon and an attendance of 44k! That's absolutely ridiculous. We had more people in our stadium for a midweek game than most Premiership teams did this weekend. Love it.

Sounds like Sheffield Wednesday put up a good fight. It sounded on the radio like our midfield went to shit in the second half and they started to pull it back a little, which goes to show the difference that having Guthrie or Barton in our team makes. They came up looking for a scalp and that's something we'll have to get used to in this division, but I'm pleased with the result and that's us back up to 3rd. A wee run-out at the end for young Nile Ranger too.

Ameobi though... :love:

Looked like a good game from the highlights. Our keeper is solid, and is the reason we don't get trounced by 5 or 6 most games. Someone in black and white must have gone to sleep in second half, as Francis Jeffers was through on goal at one point. This hasn't happened in at least 3 years.

Only losing by the single goal, away, at the hands of the favourites to win the league isn't so bad.

Shola! 2 more and he'll have caught chopra.

Why is michael carrick taking pens for man utd when they have players that can shoot?

Carrick has been United's deputy penalty taker (when Ronaldo has been absent) for a couple of seasons now. He's usually a good taker, and that is the first he's missed. Michael Owen looked terrible. Two great chances. One completely miscued and the other he missed the ball completely. What a goof.

5-1, top of the table. Thank you. Shazaaaaaaaaaam! :up:

Glory supporter :up:

Incidentally, I once saw a goalkeeper in the lower leagues (where it's still 1-11) come on wearing number 111. I can only presume the club ordered x number of shirts with number 1 on the back and were then told that the substitute keeper's shirt must have a different number.

Have there been many bad times? I don't know much about Spurs, but you seem to just be that mediocre mid table side who are a bit good at home but shite away? Looking real good this season though. Defoe is just smashing them in for fun. He's playing like Michael Owen did 10 years ago. Intelligent running, fast and strong, decisive infront of goal. I also really like Palacios. I really don't understand why none of the big boys went for him last January. Him and Modric in the middle is just class.

Peter Crouch though. Urgh. He'll get you 10 a season, but you're probably losing revenue getting shirts to fit him. Also, the sight of him volleying looks like a mangled up bike.

Have there been many bad times? I don't know much about Spurs, but you seem to just be that mediocre mid table side who are a bit good at home but shite away? Looking real good this season though. Defoe is just smashing them in for fun. He's playing like Michael Owen did 10 years ago. Intelligent running, fast and strong, decisive infront of goal. I also really like Palacios. I really don't understand why none of the big boys went for him last January. Him and Modric in the middle is just class.

Peter Crouch though. Urgh. He'll get you 10 a season, but you're probably losing revenue getting shirts to fit him. Also, the sight of him volleying looks like a mangled up bike.

There have hardly been many "glory" times in recent history though to be honest. Still i've put up with both for the past 15 years so i don't think i can be accused of glory hunting. Not once have i ever questioned my support of the team. My only regret is that it's not feasible for me to go to games right now. That may hopefully change in the future though.

Modric doesn't play in the middle. Palacios and Hudd in the middle are perfect this season, Jenas will have a lot of work to do to force his way back in if he's staying though something tells me he might not.

I think there is a tremendous level of depth to the squad this season that there hasn't been over the past few years.

Crouch adds another option upfront and i'm happy enough to have him there even if he does only score 10 a season. If he frees up space for Defoe or Keane he's doing his job as far as i'm concerned. He does look like a string puppet that's being thrown around when he moves though.

:laughing:

do agree, hardly been any "bad" times in recent years. Is White Hart Lane going to be their home for the forseeable future?

Granted, there haven't been that many relegation worries (apart from last season) but they've only finished inside the top 10 for about half the 15 years that i've supported them. For a top-half team (in my opinion) that's not that great.

Anyway, they're maybe not the same bad times that diddy teams suffer but they're bad times none the less.

Just to clarify, the "glory supporter" jibe was a joke, because you were gloating about being top of the league :up:

I don't know why I said 'the middle'. I meant midfield, but I'm a knob.

I know, but it wouldn't have taken much for certain folks that love a go for no reason to chip in for their tuppence and surprise surprise...

Cool, I've seen him play in the middle a few times and he's not a physical enough presence in the same way that Palacios, Huddlestone and Jenas are. He just get's muscled off the ball too much, though he has added a bit more physicality to his game this season. Redknapp seems to know how to use him and that's the main thing.