aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

That I never knew.

Where's the defence and midfield boundary? It's all up in the air when you've got Owen Hargreaves wearing the number 4 and Gareth Barry wearing the number 6. Even Lee Sharpe wore number 5, and he was a winger in the 90's, when numbering was stricter. Now these fairyboys just make their own rules. Ronaldinho's #80 shirt for example. What a clown.

It puts my extreme anal retention on full display when this kind of rubbish actually bothers me.

Lee Sharpe probably has a lot to answer for. Having said that, my own beloved Scotland team dished out the squad numbers for Euro 92 on the basis of who held the most caps. I think Ally McCoist wore 5 and Stewart McKimmie wore 9 - a Disgrace! Goram wore 1 which may have been an exception, unless he did have the most caps.

Argentina's 1986 squad dished out the numbers alphabetically meaning striker Sergio Almiron wore number 1! Exception was of course given to Maradona whose name didn't come in 10th alphabetically.....

Traditionally (in my mind and not accounting for formational differences or redundant positions like "inside right").....

1 = Goalie

2 = Right Back

3 = Left back

4 = defensively minded midfielder player

5 = Centre Back/sweeper

6 = Centre Back/sweeper

7 = right sided attacking player

8 = central midfielder

9 = Centre forward

10 = Fantasista (striker/midfielder)

11 = left sided attacking player

12 = sub goalie

Lee Sharpe probably has a lot to answer for. Having said that, my own beloved Scotland team dished out the squad numbers for Euro 92 on the basis of who held the most caps. I think Ally McCoist wore 5 and Stewart McKimmie wore 9 - a Disgrace! Goram wore 1 which may have been an exception, unless he did have the most caps.

Argentina's 1986 squad dished out the numbers alphabetically meaning striker Sergio Almiron wore number 1! Exception was of course given to Maradona whose name didn't come in 10th alphabetically.....

Traditionally (in my mind and not accounting for formational differences or redundant positions like "inside right").....

1 = Goalie

2 = Right Back

3 = Left back

4 = defensively minded midfielder player

5 = Centre Back/sweeper

6 = Centre Back/sweeper

7 = right sided attacking player

8 = central midfielder

9 = Centre forward

10 = Fantasista (striker/midfielder)

11 = left sided attacking player

12 = sub goalie

4 should be centre back and 6 a defensive midfielder IMO. The sub keeper should wear 20.

Dennis Bergkamp left at the end of the 05-06 season leaving the number 10 jersey vacant. Gallas joined after the season had started by which point squad numbers 2-6 had already been allocated to Diaby, Cole, Fabregas, Toure and Senderos.

Then they were too darn lazy to fix it the summer after.

The likes of Ronaldo and Bendtner have no such excuses though and shouldn't be allowed to play.

• Upvote 1

Dennis Bergkamp left at the end of the 05-06 season leaving the number 10 jersey vacant. Gallas joined after the season had started by which point squad numbers 2-6 had already been allocated to Diaby, Cole, Fabregas, Toure and Senderos.

Then they were too darn lazy to fix it the summer after.

Good squad number knowledge sir. He should have been allocated the next available number above 11.

Diaby should never be number 2 anyway, and Fabregas should be number 8 (or I would even accept 10).

I too am accepting of the 6 and 4 switcharound, but only if the number 6 is not a Makelele but more of a traditional centre-circle central midfielder.

EDIT:

That Wikipedia article is a good read. I knew number 5 in Brazillian football was the defensive player.

To clarify, the following is acceptable to me:

1 - Goalkeeper

2 - Right Back

3 - Left Back

4 - Right Back, Centre Half, Defensive Midfielder

5 - Centre Half

6 - Centre Half, Left Back, Central Midfielder

7 - Right Midfielder, Right Winger

8 - Attacking Central Midfielder

9 - Striker

10 - Striker, Central Midfielder

11 - Left Winger

• Upvote 1

Diaby should never be number 2 anyway, and Fabregas should be number 8 (or I would even accept 10).

I too am accepting of the 6 and 4 switcharound, but only if the number 6 is not a Makelele but more of a traditional centre-circle central midfielder.

EDIT:

That Wikipedia article is a good read. I knew number 5 in Brazillian football was the defensive player.

To clarify, the following is acceptable to me:

1 - Goalkeeper

2 - Right Back

3 - Left Back

4 - Right Back, Centre Half, Defensive Midfielder

5 - Centre Half

6 - Centre Half, Left Back, Central Midfielder

7 - Right Midfielder, Right Winger

8 - Attacking Central Midfielder

9 - Striker

10 - Striker, Central Midfielder

11 - Left Winger

4 and 6 as full backs?! ARE YOU CRAZY!?!

Interestingly, on the sub goalie debate....

In England & Spain, the substitute goalkeeper would often be assigned the number 13 shirt, whereas in Italy and Germany, the substitute goalkeeper would be given the number 12, or the number 16 in France. (citation needed)

I always thought 13 was the original sub keeper number.

Whilst this is wetting my nerdy appetite, it doesn't explain why Willy Gallas is as much of a ruiner to don a number 10 shirt in the centre of defence. I don't care if he scores more goals than Francis Jeffers. I'm not having it.

Sub Keepers never really had a traditional number as they never really existed until recently!

years ago you could only have 2 subs, numbered 12 and 14 due to superstition around 13. Then you were allowed 3 subs in the nineties to allow a keeper to be named, but generally the keeper would take either 12 or 15 as his number, however eventually many clubs just named 3 outfield players. By then of course, squad number were fairly established and subbies had whatever number they were allocated pre-season

Seriously, what is Shola up to?! 4 goals already. I think he's found his level. He's in footballing purgatory: not quite good enough for the prem but a sicko in the championship.

It's clearly Chris Hughton's new, revolutionary "eating an apple while riding a bike" training technique:-

2nqf69t.jpg

Genius, I tells ya! Genius.

I think we might need to ditch the "if Shola scores, we're on the pitch" chant if he's gonna keep this up! Shame, like. I love that one.

• Upvote 1

Another win for the Toon and an attendance of 44k! That's absolutely ridiculous. We had more people in our stadium for a midweek game than most Premiership teams did this weekend. Love it.

Sounds like Sheffield Wednesday put up a good fight. It sounded on the radio like our midfield went to shit in the second half and they started to pull it back a little, which goes to show the difference that having Guthrie or Barton in our team makes. They came up looking for a scalp and that's something we'll have to get used to in this division, but I'm pleased with the result and that's us back up to 3rd. A wee run-out at the end for young Nile Ranger too.

Ameobi though... :love:

Is Shazaaaaaaaaaam! your 2009/10 catchphrase!? Seem to see it a lot these days.

I'm going to adopt 'Drat' to voice my disappointment and 'Smashing' for voicing my appreciation this year

I think it is, i don't think i've had one before... I need an appropriate negative phrase just in case i fall off cloud 9.