aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

Torres doesn't give a shit about Liverpool. He'd easily bang 20 goals past them without so much as an apology.

I dunno, he seems pretty smitten with Liverpool and has said he wouldn't go to another Premier League club. He's apparently a "lifelong fan". Man United were supposed to sign him from Atletico after Germany 06, but Torres didn't want to go to anyone but Liverpool, especially not United. Then David Gill made the statement that "He's not good enough anyway". Tit.

Oh, and Zola has been sacked. Tragic. Thoroughly top chap.

Guest Gladstone

I just looked at Darren Mackie stats (for no real reason other than I've got a couple of minutes of lunchtime to fill in...)

325 appearances for the Dons

66 goals

Or an average of 1 goal for every 5 games (roughly).

That's pretty ding, but I'll be honest - better than I expected.

He's only been into double figures twice in his Dons career, and his most for a season is 15. That is really shite.

Right Dons fans. Tough question. Who's your Dons player of the season?

For me, Considine and Foster are the only post-pubescent players who've done themselves justice. Considine held the defence together for half a season before getting injured, but it's difficult to give it to a guy who's only played half a season. Foster was exceptional for the first half of the season, but has reverted to his mediocre self since January.

In conclusion, fuck knows. Probably Foster.

I just looked at Darren Mackie stats (for no real reason other than I've got a couple of minutes of lunchtime to fill in...)

325 appearances for the Dons

66 goals

Or an average of 1 goal for every 5 games (roughly).

That's pretty ding, but I'll be honest - better than I expected.

He's only been into double figures twice in his Dons career, and his most for a season is 15. That is really shite.

What you need to understand is that The Dazzler's role is primarily a defensive one - a holding striker, if you will.

Guest Gladstone

The thing about Mackie (now, I ain't seen hunners o games with him or anything, just an outsiders view if you will) is that he does have some talent when he can be arsed.

I've seen clips and games when he's been unmarkable. There was a game not so long ago when he scored 1 and set up 2 or something, and using really good vision to play a cracking through ball or two, and I saw a clip from a good few years ago where he destroyed the defence.

He has it in him, but on the whole just can't be arsed.

He used to come good towards the end of his deal, and bang in a couple of goals, look hungry for action etc but I don't even think he's bothering with that now. He just looks like a guy who has a job, whcih happens to be playing football for Aberdeen FC. He doesn't love his job, but at the same time he doesn't mind it. Turns up to training and matches, puts in a reasonable amount of effort, but doesn't over-exert himself, just enough to keep getting a game now and again, and keep getting paid at the end of the month.

If he pulled his finger out his hoop and really tried, he'd be a decent enough striker, and could get closer to the 15 goals a season mark, rather than the norm of 4/5 goals a season.

He is the typical Aberdeen player of the past 10 years really. A squad full of guys just getting by, when if they really bother their arse, they are actually quite good (see matches against Rangers fairly regularly and some against Celtic, and most of all the performances against Copenhagen and Bayern Munich).

The thing about Mackie (now, I ain't seen hunners o games with him or anything, just an outsiders view if you will) is that he does have some talent when he can be arsed.

I've seen clips and games when he's been unmarkable. There was a game not so long ago when he scored 1 and set up 2 or something, and using really good vision to play a cracking through ball or two, and I saw a clip from a good few years ago where he destroyed the defence.

He has it in him, but on the whole just can't be arsed.

He used to come good towards the end of his deal, and bang in a couple of goals, look hungry for action etc but I don't even think he's bothering with that now. He just looks like a guy who has a job, whcih happens to be playing football for Aberdeen FC. He doesn't love his job, but at the same time he doesn't mind it. Turns up to training and matches, puts in a reasonable amount of effort, but doesn't over-exert himself, just enough to keep getting a game now and again, and keep getting paid at the end of the month.

If he pulled his finger out his hoop and really tried, he'd be a decent enough striker, and could get closer to the 15 goals a season mark, rather than the norm of 4/5 goals a season.

He is the typical Aberdeen player of the past 10 years really. A squad full of guys just getting by, when if they really bother their arse, they are actually quite good (see matches against Rangers fairly regularly and some against Celtic, and most of all the performances against Copenhagen and Bayern Munich).

I disagree with this actually, I think Mackie is one of the few players that actually looks like his is giving his all, it's lack of talent that's his problem, not lack of effort.

I disagree with this actually, I think Mackie is one of the few players that actually looks like his is giving his all, it's lack of talent that's his problem, not lack of effort.

Exactly.

The scary thing is that he is actually much improved compared to when he first broke into the team....and despite that, he's still awful.

Indeed. Tries his best.

Has the first touch of a rapist though, and his second touch is always a tackle as a result.

(He'd probably be a reasonable player if it weren't for this to be fair).

I've always felt Mackie is particularly suited to open games where he can run rather than get the ball at his feet. As has been mentioned, he is pish at football but will run his socks off all day and pester the hell out of defenders. Against teams who are organised in two banks of four through defence and midfield and not leaving much space behind the defenders he is pretty ineffective. I remember when we played Bayern Munich a couple of seasons ago he gave the Argentinian boy Demichelis a tough time just through his persistence. The next game I saw him after that was someone like Hamilton Accies and the big clogger he was up against that day never gave him a look of the ball. Go figure.

Right Dons fans. Tough question. Who's your Dons player of the season?

in the few games i've seen pawlett was the stand out and we seem to have struggled since he became injured. foster will get it though simply for playing in almost every single game and not being completely shit.

they should give it to the fans for having to put up with that shit this season.

Can someone explain football to me please?

Am I right in saying that this season Rangers qualified for Champs League, and Celtic and United are into UEFA for 2nd and 3rd? And if United win the Scottish Cup this weekend, is it Hibs (4th) or Ross County (Runners up) that get into the UEFA cup?

Rangers and Celtic are in the Champions League next season, it's only from 2011/12 that the SPL has only one Champions League spot. I think Hibs get the spot if Ross County lose, I've heard too much about 4th place getting into the Europa League (Waffa Cup) in the last couple of weeks for that not to be the case.

Can someone explain football to me please?

Am I right in saying that this season Rangers qualified for Champs League, and Celtic and United are into UEFA for 2nd and 3rd? And if United win the Scottish Cup this weekend, is it Hibs (4th) or Ross County (Runners up) that get into the UEFA cup?

No. Rangers and Celtic both qualify for Champs league.

Dundee United and Hibs are both in the UEFA and Motherwell could be as well if Utd win the cup. I don't think the runners up in the Cup get into Europe these days.

they should give it to the fans for having to put up with that shit this season.

lets be honest here, the fans hardly "put up" with anything!

most of em fucked off when they weren't winning, the majority of the ones that did stick around slagged the club to f**k and generally gave the players and manager a really hard time for the majority of the time. To me that is not deserving of any award other than 3rd worst fans in the SPL.

lets be honest here, the fans hardly "put up" with anything!

most of em fucked off when they weren't winning, the majority of the ones that did stick around slagged the club to f**k and generally gave the players and manager a really hard time for the majority of the time. To me that is not deserving of any award other than 3rd worst fans in the SPL.

I tend to agree with this. Almost all Aberdeen fans are loathsome and unrealistic. They're quite happy to lord it over the rest of us when they're doing well but the knives come out in force when they're not.

I actually find it really funny reading the whinges on here after an Aberdeen game.

• Upvote 1