aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

The MLS suffers from having more money than quality, so they can bring in these washed up stars and pay them more than they were on when they were playing competitively. The J League used to be the same, until the power shifted, and now their national sport seems to be baseball. Australia is becoming a haven for mid 30's professionals too. Robbie Fowler is is taking the piss out of their league. It's absolutely terrible to watch though.

I said a TOP European league.

Arf ;)

Ermmm, I know you're probably joking but just for the hell of it:

That'll be a league that have a team in the Final of the Champions League (and could still possibly win it) and had another in the last 16 as well. Note that it's also a league that had a team in the Semi-Finals and another in the Quarter Finals on the Europa League.

Bundesliga is as good as the Spanish or Italian Leagues in terms of overall quality these days and the only thing it lacks against the EP is the money. However very few German teams have vast amounts of debt so maybe money isn't everything in any case ;)

Nowt wrong with German football in my opinion :)

The MLS suffers from having more money than quality, so they can bring in these washed up stars and pay them more than they were on when they were playing competitively. The J League used to be the same, until the power shifted, and now their national sport seems to be baseball. Australia is becoming a haven for mid 30's professionals too. Robbie Fowler is is taking the piss out of their league. It's absolutely terrible to watch though.

Japan is about 50-50 baseball and football (same in Korea) and it's always been like that I think. I would guess baseball got there via the post-war occupation. I think economic stagnation is the reason Japan is no longer as attractive as it was to say Gary Lineker 15-20 years ago. As well as the USA's league, Kuwait, Qatar and such do the same thing.

Ermmm, I know you're probably joking but just for the hell of it:

That'll be a league that have a team in the Final of the Champions League (and could still possibly win it) and had another in the last 16 as well. Note that it's also a league that had a team in the Semi-Finals and another in the Quarter Finals on the Europa League.

Bundesliga is as good as the Spanish or Italian Leagues in terms of overall quality these days and the only thing it lacks against the EP is the money. However very few German teams have vast amounts of debt so maybe money isn't everything in any case ;)

Nowt wrong with German football in my opinion :)

Ha. It was certainly a joke. I like the Bundesliga. Especially Borussia Dortmund, who aren't quite as good as they used to be. I definitely prefer it to Italian football, and whilst La Liga has some of the best players in terms of talent and flair, it's been incredibly dull to watch this season, mostly because of the overwhelming power within the top 2, and the mediocrity elsewhere. Valencia came closest, but will be pushed back even further with their prize asset now Barca bound, and only a matter of time before David Silva is on his way somewhere else too.

Still, Landon Donovan is a better player this year than he was a while back. He seems to have come leaps and bounds and really looks like a much more complete player than he did when he was last in Europe. I think he'd fair pretty well in the Premier League long term. Probably not at United or Chelsea, but the teams on the fringes most definitely.

Dons in new signing shocker.

Good things - 23 year old Northern Ireland international. Promises to be a hard working player/

Possible down points - has been playing kickabout in League Two.

Aberdeen have signed defender Rory McArdle from Rochdale on a two-year deal.

The 23-year-old, who can play anywhere across the back, has just helped Dale to promotion from League Two.

He is out of contract this summer and was offered a new deal at Spotland but Aberdeen boss Mark McGhee has lured him to the Scottish top flight.

McArdle travelled to Pittodrie on Thursday to finalise the deal, which will see him become a Dons player on 1st July, when his Rochdale contract expires.

And Aberdeen will not have to pay Dale compensation for McArdle, who made 148 league appearances for the club, as he turned 23 before the end of the season.

"I'll be here in July and I'm looking forward to coming in, getting my head down for pre-season and seeing what Scottish football is about," he told the club's official website.

"I've been in England and I'm only 23 so I'm looking to learn quite a bit.

"I came up and had a look around and he (McGhee) took me around the city.

Massive potential

"When you see the ground and look at the history of the club, I think there is massive potential here."

The former Northern Ireland Under-21 international started out with hometown club Sheffield Wednesday but only made two first-team appearances.

He joined Dale on loan during both the 2005/06 and 2006/07 seasons before making the move permanent in January 2007.

McArdle's form this season has seen him rewarded with a senior international call-up for their summer tour to the USA and Chile.

He will travel to Aberdeen before joining up with the Northern Ireland squad, which departs on Saturday for friendlies against Turkey and Chile.

Asked what sort of player Dons fans can expect, McArdle added: "Just a hard-working one, more than anything. I always give 100% if and when I play."

There's still a couple of great players who are wasted out there. Like Landon Donovan. He could play in any top European league. He was awesome for Everton. I hope he comes back.

my knowledge of the EPL is mainly through watching match of the day granted but I was impressed with Donovan whenever I saw him. Think his style and temprement suits that league. And he wasnt afraid to have a go at Beckham either! He could certainly do the business for the Evertons or Villa's of the ELP and is indeed wasted in that tinpot league.