aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

surely after the Junior cup final? Im sure thats when this one was started?

either way, the longer the close season the better :D

I'm sure Montrose will be better next season, well they couldnt be any worse.

I like pre-season it's when I am full of optimism about the season ahead, thats usually shattered within a couple of games of the season proper getting going mind. Still at least we got a manager who isnt huffing about a reduced wage budget and walking out on the club and a chairman who is incompetent at best.... yet!

Guest Gladstone

Aye - the keeper was clearly not expecting someone to shoot from a free kick that far out, and just wasn't ready for it. Saying that though it sails straight into the top corner, at speed. Absolutely stunning hit. Best free kick of all time?

Guest Gladstone
YouTube - roberto carlos best goal ever!!!!!!!!

I stand by this one. Look at the bend! Outside of the boot. Also includes Roberto Carlos' patented 20 yard tip toe run up. This would probably receive so much more recognition if it hadn't have taken place in a Summer friendly tournament.

Aye - was remembering about that one - it is fairly ridiculous. I'm undecided.

YouTube - roberto carlos best goal ever!!!!!!!!

I stand by this one. Look at the bend! Outside of the boot. Also includes Roberto Carlos' patented 20 yard tip toe run up. This would probably receive so much more recognition if it hadn't have taken place in a Summer friendly tournament.

That was the one I immediately thought of. The ball might have hit him on the back of the head if it hadn't gone in.

It probably just pips the Strachan / McMaster dummy against Bayern. Only just.

I like Fabregas, but I cannot believe his arrogance.

Today he's effectively insisted he's away to join Barca, who have the best midfield in the world, arguably. You can't just go wherever you want to, m8.

I know he used to play there but they let him go. THEY let him GO. I can't see him getting a move, Pep Guardiola seems more keen to nurture Busquets and Pedro, who are the next Xavi/Iniesta I reckon.

Thoughts?

I like Fabregas, but I cannot believe his arrogance.

Today he's effectively insisted he's away to join Barca, who have the best midfield in the world, arguably. You can't just go wherever you want to, m8.

I know he used to play there but they let him go. THEY let him GO. I can't see him getting a move, Pep Guardiola seems more keen to nurture Busquets and Pedro, who are the next Xavi/Iniesta I reckon.

Thoughts?

I think that's a fair assessment. Fabregas is a great player, but he isn't first choice for his country behind Xavi and Iniesta, so does he think that Guardiola will change his system to accomodate him? If Barca buy him, it will be to sell shirts rather than improve the team.

Barca (maybe not Pep, but some of the directors) have pretty much made it an open intention for a while now that they want Fabregas back. Many of the fans at least seem to feel that Barca is his home and it is where he should be playing.

Every paper here is filling pages daily with stories about Villa and Fabregas and it has been a fairly consistent story throughout the season. The press seems pretty sure both signings will happen.

I'm not sure but I think Fabregas going to Arsenal had more to do with him wanting to leave to get opportunities to play rather than him being let go.

How he would fit into the team is another question (one that i haven't actually seen addressed in any of the papers here). As a three Fabregas, Xavi and Iniesta is lacking the defensive midfielder that is probably needed against the best teams. Guardiola appears to be grooming Busquets for that role (let's hope he gets him to stop being a diving play-acting git)

Barca (maybe not Pep, but some of the directors) have pretty much made it an open intention for a while now that they want Fabregas back. Many of the fans at least seem to feel that Barca is his home and it is where he should be playing.

Home? Arsenal paid money for him. He's their player. There's no 'home' about it. It's Barca's loss. Wenger saw promise in him, which is what he is so good at. Barca relinquished him. Too bad. I don't really care for Cesc's arrogance throughout this whole episode this week (although during the season, he constantly dismissed it and concentrated on Arsenal, which is good), but Barcelona are going about their business in such a dispicable manner, which is no different to the way Real Madrid do things, yet always feel they can take some sort of moral high ground about the way they approach the market. Having their upstairs staff running to the Spanish press every other day instead of approaching the parent club is just pure unethical. It unsettles players, which forces clubs to sell that player because their mind and heart is no longer with their current side. It's exactly the same as the Ronaldo situation. He said he wanted to play for Madrid someday, but insisted on staying for a while, then the Real president speaks to the press every day until United simply had to submit, which Barcelona seemed to collectively look down their nose and scoff at. Now they are taking the same approach. Wenger will have to submit, or Cesc will be unhappy, and will probably speak to the press saying he's a "prisoner", akin to Ronaldo. It's shite. Barca can go fuck themselves. I hope Villa stays at Valencia like he vowed to, and Ibra continues to be the most expensive flop in professional sports. There's less pressure on Valencia to sell at the moment as their situation isn't as bad as it was, and they've come through it with all their stars in tact, though Villa probably wants success, which he's not going to get in a league where the 3rd best team falls 26 points behind 2nd place.

Home? Arsenal paid money for him. He's their player. There's no 'home' about it. It's Barca's loss.

Woah, take it easy. I'm just saying that's how many Barca fans feel. There never been a suggestion that he was stolen by Arsenal or anything, it's just that the fans want to see a world class catalan player who was developed through their youth system (until he moved) playing for Barca. He went to his first match at Camp Nou when he was 9 months old, I don't think there's anything wrong with people saying Barcelona is his "home team".

Barcelona are going about their business in such a dispicable manner, which is no different to the way Real Madrid do things, yet always feel they can take some sort of moral high ground about the way they approach the market. Having their upstairs staff running to the Spanish press every other day instead of approaching the parent club is just pure unethical.

Nobody at Barcelona has ever said (correct me if I am wrong) that Cesc would definitely sign for them this season. And there is no evidence of the player being contacted directly to negotiate any deal. I'm not really sure there is any reason to say Barcelona have behaved wrongly or irresponsibly in regards to Fabregas.

Then again Madrids behaviour regarding Ronaldo was completely blown out of proportion by UTD and the British media too. I don't see what is wrong with a club publicly saying they would like to sign a player.

I hope Villa stays at Valencia like he vowed to, and Ibra continues to be the most expensive flop in professional sports. There's less pressure on Valencia to sell at the moment as their situation isn't as bad as it was, and they've come through it with all their stars in tact, though Villa probably wants success, which he's not going to get in a league where the 3rd best team falls 26 points behind 2nd place.

Too late - BBC Sport - Football - Striker David Villa moves to Barcelona from Valencia

From what I hear (read) Thierry Henry is going to go play in the MLS for Red Bull New York where he'll be Juan Pablo Angel's strike partner. Remember him? From being not very good at Aston Villa? He's now regarded as one of the best players in that league. YEAH!

Well the Barca president seems to be speaking to the Spanish press everyday demanding Fabregas, instead of just approaching Arsenal, like Real Madrid did. To me, that is acting irresponsibly in the transfer market, because he knows full well it unsettles players. Saying you want to sign someone is well and good,but to name that person, and say it nearly every week to the papers for 18 months or more is acting irresponsibly. It should just be a case of approaching the club, asking if he's for sale, and if he's not, moving on and plotting other transfers. But that's never how it is. The player will be constantly speculated about until the club has to submit, and these saga's involving top players and Barca/Real Madrid can last 2 to 3 years. It's just wrong. Wenger has said he doesn't want to sell Fabregas and Fabregas said during the season he didn't want to leave, so why isn't the situation over?

Players can be just as bad for it too, like Ribery, who has been waffling about "I'll decide my future next week/month/season" without committing to anything, which is practically a plea for some speculation from the media and other clubs.

How was the Ronaldo situation blown out of proportion? They didn't want to sell. Madrid persisted by speaking to their own media, to Scolari (Ronaldo's coach at Euro 2008 amidst speculation) and to Ronaldo's immediate family, instead of to United. A season passes, United still don't want to sell. Madrid Persist. Player is unsettled. Tells foreign media he is being treated like a prisoner, then blames bad translations (Which is becoming quite a mainstay for footballers to be able to bitch and moan in their home countries). Sepp Blatter personally backed Ronaldo on his plea to leave and overturned United's complaint to Fifa regarding Madrid, which gave United no choice but to sell. Sounds like a solid case, and it doesn't include all the same elements, but the Fabregas case is going along the same tracks.

Upper management should just keep quiet. Sign checks, and whatever else they do. It just doesn't happen In England. You get folk like Gill and Abramovic saying that funds are available, and they want to spend, but they're not hounding the papers with a shortlist of players a few times a week.

Well the Barca president seems to be speaking to the Spanish press everyday demanding Fabregas, instead of just approaching Arsenal, like Real Madrid did. To me, that is acting irresponsibly in the transfer market, because he knows full well it unsettles players. Saying you want to sign someone is well and good,but to name that person, and say it nearly every week to the papers for 18 months or more is acting irresponsibly. It should just be a case of approaching the club, asking if he's for sale, and if he's not, moving on and plotting other transfers. But that's never how it is. The player will be constantly speculated about until the club has to submit, and these saga's involving top players and Barca/Real Madrid can last 2 to 3 years. It's just wrong. Wenger has said he doesn't want to sell Fabregas and Fabregas said during the season he didn't want to leave, so why isn't the situation over?

Players can be just as bad for it too, like Ribery, who has been waffling about "I'll decide my future next week/month/season" without committing to anything, which is practically a plea for some speculation from the media and other clubs.

How was the Ronaldo situation blown out of proportion? They didn't want to sell. Madrid persisted by speaking to their own media, to Scolari (Ronaldo's coach at Euro 2008 amidst speculation) and to Ronaldo's immediate family, instead of to United. A season passes, United still don't want to sell. Madrid Persist. Player is unsettled. Tells foreign media he is being treated like a prisoner, then blames bad translations (Which is becoming quite a mainstay for footballers to be able to bitch and moan in their home countries). Sepp Blatter personally backed Ronaldo on his plea to leave and overturned United's complaint to Fifa regarding Madrid, which gave United no choice but to sell. Sounds like a solid case, and it doesn't include all the same elements, but the Fabregas case is going along the same tracks.

Upper management should just keep quiet. Sign checks, and whatever else they do. It just doesn't happen In England. You get folk like Gill and Abramovic saying that funds are available, and they want to spend, but they're not hounding the papers with a shortlist of players a few times a week.

Almost all big clubs do this. Look at Man United with Berbatov, Hargreaves and Carrick.

I think in the majority of big name transfers these days it is the press rather than the clubs which cause most of the problems. And to some extent the players too. The players really have the power. Ronaldo didn't move to Madrid because United were bullied into it, he moved when he wanted to move, he didn't move the year before because he didn't want to at that time. It's the same with Fabregas, he's moving when he wants to move. He never helped stop the speculation. You right he did say he was happy at Arsenal, but then he immedietly said that he couldn't say no if Guardiola asked him personally.

Interesting to see what happens with Ibra now. I know he's not the most popular player but he has fantastic ability and I think a summer of sitting at home wishing he was at the world cup will leave him rested and very eager to prove himself at the start of next season.

I'm not saying the tapping up thing doesn't happen in the PL, as it does. What I meant by "It doesn't happen here" is clubs chief executives and presidents/owners getting involved with transfers, speaking to the press and demanding these players, despite whether or not the coach actually wants them. You just wonder how much pressure Guardiola would be under to utilise Fabregas, if he's got his Iniesta and Xavi pairing that is possibly the best in the world at what it does.

I think it's at a different level though. Fergie is certainly guilty of it, especially with Berbatov, but that lasted the summer of 2008. With the two Spanish sides, they can drag out these ordeals for years. This Fabregas stuff has been going on for 2 seasons now, and the Ronaldo ordeal was for 3 seasons.

What I'm getting at mostly is how Barca fans scoffed to the media at how dispicable Real Madrid were for unsettling Ronaldo for 3 years, but this Fabregas approach really is exactly the same. Ferguson can be lauded under the same umbrella too, when he complained about Real Madrid's approach, when it wasn't too dissimilar to what he did to acquire Berbatov, Hargreaves, and to a lesser extent, Carrick. It's just all-round classlessness, if that's even a word. It is now.

Too late - BBC Sport - Football - Striker David Villa moves to Barcelona from Valencia

From what I hear (read) Thierry Henry is going to go play in the MLS for Red Bull New York where he'll be Juan Pablo Angel's strike partner. Remember him? From being not very good at Aston Villa? He's now regarded as one of the best players in that league. YEAH!

Wish I played in that league. I'd be one of the best players too, and I'm shit. I haven't kicked a ball in 4 years.

I have no reason why but for a long time I kept convincing myself and telling others that Juan Pablo Angel would come good and be a great player in the premiership :down:

As for presidents / directors getting involved in transfers I think it's just a case of the different ways that football clubs are traditionally run in Britain and the rest of Europe. In Spain / Italy the president has always had the major say in which players are signed and for how much money so it's natural they talk about signings more than their British equivalents.

Wish I played in that league. I'd be one of the best players too, and I'm shit. I haven't kicked a ball in 4 years.

i'd fancy my chances of being a hit in that league and i'm nearly 41, overweight and awful at football! and beckham says he didnt go for the money... yeah right son!