aberdeen-music

TV Series!!

DJ Jo-D

Was considering a separate thread for this but it's not quite worthy:

I managed to cancel my cable TV a couple months back. (cutting my bill by about 100 quid) - Internet and telly is really expensive here. So now I've got just an internet connection I pay tuppence for.

A la carte TV/streaming is gonna become the norm soon enough. I'm not sure if it'll be as drastic in the UK, where streaming services aren't quite up to the standard they are here, Sky pretty much has a monopoly and regular telly (BBC) is much better - but it's gonna happen sooner or later. 

Anyone have any experience with this whole 'cordcutting' thing? WOuld be interesting to see how other folks do it. I basically figured out what I want to watch and how I can watch it so my set up is:

Apple TV with Netflix, Hulu + (pretty much covers 90% of what I want to watch)

Aereo on my ipad which I beam to the apple tv for when I want to watch normal TV (aereo is a cool service that lets you watch regular TV via remote aerials and gives you a cloud DVR. Good for watching the news and the odd bad sitcom)

Amazon instant video on the Xbox (would be really nice if they'd just put it on apple tv so I don't have to swtich all the time - I end up not using amazon much eventhough there's a bunch of good stuff on it)

Sports is a big one. I REALLY miss the convenience of turning on the telly and watching the sports channels. I can't stand iffy streaming sites too and the footie/NFL/basketball seasons are fast approaching. I got a deal on the new Madden game for xbox that gives you a free year of NFL Game Pass (stream the sunday games on any device) so i'm sorted for NFL and saving 200+ bucks. Basketball Im still unsure about but there's an Apple TV channel for it and I've yet to see the programming schedule for the new NBC channel which is carrying the prem. From what I understand there'll be saturday games on normal TV but that just won't do for me so I'm probably gonna try get inventive to watch the games.

Anyway, It's probably much more of a big deal in the US than it is back home - The cable companies are fucking awful here. It feels like a little victory to free yourself from them and still be able to watch what you want. Sky, for all its faults, seems pretty decent (service and price-wise). Still, anyone else cut the cord?

I think I basically could. The only TV I watch is via THE INTERNET through whatever (legal) means, and streamed to Apple TV. Either via Netflix or iTunes.

The Sky sports channels I suppose are the only things that I use my Sky box for which seems totally silly. I suppose there is a way that non-Sky customers can get Sky Sports channels via the Internet? If so I will maybe look to cancel my TV subscription after the contract is up.

I think I basically could. The only TV I watch is via THE INTERNET through whatever (legal) means, and streamed to Apple TV. Either via Netflix or iTunes.

The Sky sports channels I suppose are the only things that I use my Sky box for which seems totally silly. I suppose there is a way that non-Sky customers can get Sky Sports channels via the Internet? If so I will maybe look to cancel my TV subscription after the contract is up.

If you know someone with the Sky packages then you can use their log on details to use Sky Go as long as they aren't already using it on two devices. I use my sister's to get F1 when it's not on BBC. Cheaper then paying Sky however much they charge (think it's the standard price for the Sports packages).

Most of my planned TV watching, where I make a point of catching something is done via PVR these days. If I'm sat watching something as it's broadcast then it's almost certainly just there as background.  So I don't think it would take a lot of effort for me to switch to only using internet based services.

I gave up my Sky subscription a few years ago as most of the channels I watched were free ones anyway so instead of paying their extra subscription for an HD box I just cancelled it and bought a second hand freesat HD box.  So I wouldn't miss that. 

Guess the only thing stopping me is my trust in my broadband connection.  Despite BT now giving unlimited broadband I'm not confident in it to rely on it for all my entertainment needs.  If they ever roll out fibre broadband for homes in Banchory then I might make the jump.

Freeview is pretty decent (from what I remember). The OTA channels here are fucking terrible. It's infomercials, Spanish soaps and kerazy celeb gossip shows. oh, and NBC who seem intent on trying to make shitty sitcoms happen like 2 Broke Girls and The New Girl. I suppose that makes cancelling sky not so much of a big leap. BBC is fucking excellent considering what most countries get and the fodder channels arent half as bad as they could be (except e4, what's it like nowadays? it was horrendous when I left after being decent for a few years at the start)

Anyone not watching the programme just now about lunatic One Direction fans on Channel 4 should catch in on 4OD. I never knew so many teenage girls were so mentally unstable. It's hilarious. The future boyfriends of these deranged girls don't stand a chance.

Seriously great telly.

Based on these nutjobs, I think If I went on Twitter just now and said "#1D are shit" I would probably be murdered within the hour.

Anyone not watching the programme just now about lunatic One Direction fans on Channel 4 should catch in on 4OD. I never knew so many teenage girls were so mentally unstable. It's hilarious. The future boyfriends of these deranged girls don't stand a chance.

Seriously great telly.

Based on these nutjobs, I think If I went on Twitter just now and said "#1D are shit" I would probably be murdered within the hour.

It has escalated to inter-band gay sex fan-fiction. Awwww shit!

Edited by Joda Serk

You should check out the abuse that the director is getting on Twitter from fans saying they were badly portrayed and aren't mental ALL IN CAPITALS AND INCLUDING THREATS. One girl has emailed Channel4 and threatened the entire channel. Hilarious.

If you are on Twitter and aren't following HarryMyCatDied, please remedy that. That account is what first introduced me to the idea of 1D fans being batshit incredible and it has been going for about a year now. Also, apparently the guy who runs it was involved in the documentary that went out last night but they didn't credit him at all. Boooo! I'm now stupidly fascinated by the way One Direction fans are. I know people who are obsessives of things, especially boybands, have always been a bit ..."quirky", but I think the existence of Twitter has just magnified and exaggerated this massively. I can't remember if I've posted this before or not, but this curiosity made me conduct an experiment at the start of the year which I think was my favourite day on the internet ever: http://storify.com/kirstenin/the-rumour-mill-harry-styles-as-a-busker

Anyway, that's enough of that. Isn't 'House Of Cards' good?

Edited by kirsten
  • Upvote 2

You should check out the abuse that the director is getting on Twitter from fans saying they were badly portrayed and aren't mental ALL IN CAPITALS AND INCLUDING THREATS. One girl has emailed Channel4 and threatened the entire channel. Hilarious.

If you are on Twitter and aren't following HarryMyCatDied, please remedy that. That account is what first introduced me to the idea of 1D fans being batshit incredible and it has been going for about a year now. Also, apparently the guy who runs it was involved in the documentary that went out last night but they didn't credit him at all. Boooo! I'm now stupidly fascinated by the way One Direction fans are. I know people who are obsessives of things, especially boybands, have always been a bit ..."quirky", but I think the existence of Twitter has just magnified and exaggerated this massively. I can't remember if I've posted this before or not, but this curiosity made me conduct an experiment at the start of the year which I think was my favourite day on the internet ever: http://storify.com/kirstenin/the-rumour-mill-harry-styles-as-a-busker

Anyway, that's enough of that. Isn't 'House Of Cards' good?

6ae61ead6dd9179c14118c24f5b07236_normal.

@thepartyscene omfg i would literally throw a chair in her face or st if i was u tbh

Genius.

The one who says she's part of a 'fandom' who could have you killed if they wanted to, I just lost it. Teeny girls in braces talking like they are Tony fuckin' Soprano. Just incredible.

I'd like to know if these mobs of unhinged phycho girls have ever killed anyone. Probably just other groups of unhinged psycho girls, if anyone. I would certainly imagine they are capable of it. They are completely deranged.

I need to see this doc.

Anyone seen 'Orange is the new black' yet? It's pretty great. Utter fluff but thoroughly enjoyable - although most entertainment news sources seem to think it's some taboo-breaking masterpiece. I read an interesting article about how Netflix uses big data to make and market their series'. They have this vast data set that allows them to see trends like 'x amount of people like david fincher movies, x amount of the same people like kevin spacey movies and the west wing = make House of Cards. It's like TV by numbers really. But it totally works - a depth of insight that network TV just can't get.

• Upvote 1

Purely because of this and nothing else i will tonight be starting a 1 direction trolling twitter account. I cannot wait. 

As an aside to the link I posted, the girl who called me a "wee shite" or whatever was bitching because my liie made her spend the last of her money going into town. I read her timeline and saw that once she'd discovered Harry Styles was no longer on Argyle Street, she went to the cinema where she knew he was (I think someone who worked at the Cineworld announced to the internet that she'd just served him and said what he was going to see) and waited for him there. I think he snuck out a secret door because loads of people were waiting for him. Sane. By this point, is it still my fault that she didn't meet him, even though my lie led her into town and thus closer to Styles than she was at home?

I've been to Glasgow quite a lot since that day. Every time I'm on the look-out for rogue chairs flying at me.

• Upvote 2

I'm a bit behind, but it's brilliant! So many good characters. Hard not to like Terry in it, but you know something bad will happen to him, he is just too nice.

"There's the half nelson, the full nelson, and the Father Nelson"

Yeah I'm enjoying Terry too. He goes a bit mental in the newest episode. 

What it lacks in suspense building it makes up for in all the things just, happening. No filler episodes so far IMO.

Edited by Jaaakkkeee