aberdeen-music

TV Series!!

DJ Jo-D

Was browsing about in HMV last week and picked up a couple of comedy shows I hadn't seen quite cheap -

Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia Season 1

Only 7 episodes, 4 friends work in a bar and get into various scrapes. Cant quite figure the tone of this, despite being perfectly watchable I didn't find it consistently amusing. The characters are all pretty dislikeable and self-absorbed. I think. Will give it another watch and see if it sits better.

Louis Season 1

Comedian Louis CK (heard of him but not familiar with his work) mixes narrative based on his own life with clips of his stand up performances. Much more my sort of thing, I like his sense of humour.

Surprisingly, it hasn't gotten shit at any point. It has remained remarkably consistent for a show which you would imagine has a very limited premise. Somehow, they just keep making great episodes.

It follows the standard US Sitcom rule. Season two onwards. I wouldn't trust a US sitcom with a good first season. It's probably a ruse. ABORT!

Edited by Joda Serk

Surprisingly, it hasn't gotten shit at any point. It has remained remarkably consistent for a show which you would imagine has a very limited premise. Somehow, they just keep making great episodes.

It follows the standard US Sitcom rule. Season two onwards. I wouldn't trust a US sitcom with a good first season. It's probably a ruse. ABORT!

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is falling into this category so far, the first four episodes have been really solid.

So it's probably doomed.

Edited by Surfer_Rosa

The new girl looks rank. All the girls and men ones are shit.... 2 broke girls, 2 and a half men, The new girl, 2 guys and a girl, 2 girls 1 cup.  As are all the 'name and name' ones... dharma and greg, will and grace. Good sitcoms are either proper nouns or idiomatic phrases... Seinfeld, Arrested Development, The Office, Modern Family, etc.

That's my rule anyway.

Also, rewatching The Shield just now. Banging our way through season 2. I forgot how ropey the acting and clunky some of the dialogue is. Chiklis really carries the show but it's still a great watch.

Edited by ca_gere

Does anyone watch Catfish on MTV? It's total garbage TV, based on the film where that guy went to meet his online sweetheart, but she turned out to be a total lunatic, pretending to be some hot girl. They made a series out of it, with people contacting him, asking for help to track down their online love interest, because they are convinced they aren't the real deal, so they fly all over the country, tracking down these posers.

I'm pretty sure the whole premise of the TV show is fake - as they always manage to find the address of the impersonator, and there's always some awkward stand-off on someones drive way, where the guy meets the girl (or vice versa) pretending to be some loose hottie, but she turns out to be a total lard. The lead guy, Nev, is always super nice and understanding to both sides, but the cameraman, Max, often wades in and gets pretty nasty, which is pretty much the best bit. It's never a case of the person being who they actually say they are, so it's probably about as real as wrestling. Once I start watching it though, I can't stop.

Does anyone watch Catfish on MTV? It's total garbage TV, based on the film where that guy went to meet his online sweetheart, but she turned out to be a total lunatic, pretending to be some hot girl. They made a series out of it, with people contacting him, asking for help to track down their online love interest, because they are convinced they aren't the real deal, so they fly all over the country, tracking down these posers.

I'm pretty sure the whole premise of the TV show is fake - as they always manage to find the address of the impersonator, and there's always some awkward stand-off on someones drive way, where the guy meets the girl (or vice versa) pretending to be some loose hottie, but she turns out to be a total lard. The lead guy, Nev, is always super nice and understanding to both sides, but the cameraman, Max, often wades in and gets pretty nasty, which is pretty much the best bit. It's never a case of the person being who they actually say they are, so it's probably about as real as wrestling. Once I start watching it though, I can't stop.

i hate that show! We had a friend stay with us for a few weeks and she insisted on watching that show. You're right, it's utter tripe but impossible not to watch. All of those shows are so heavily doctored it's hard to tell what's real and what's not. The film is great though. I really wish he hadn't gone on to do this nonsense because he seems like a good guy.