aberdeen-music

TV Series!!

DJ Jo-D

Frasier was very clever but not due to any Freud references.

I'm not sure I could bare to meet someone talk about Big Bang Theory in the dubya mentioned. I can enjoy the show but it's just silly lowest common denominator comedy most of the time, isn't it? Albeit in a geeky context.

Frasier really wasn't that clever. It was quite funny but not especially high brow or anything.

Does clever have to be high brow? I'd say The Simpsons is the cleverest comedy there's ever been and it's definitely not high brow either. It's all about the quality and wit of the writing.

Not at all, wasn't sure which kind of clever you meant. In my opinion it was OK funny. Nothing special. Just a generic american sitcom. Agreed on The Simpsons.

Sorry, i only noticed the next morning. I was super super tired when i posted it. I've found loads of people proclaiming "OMG! Big Bag Theory is SOOOOOO smart, like all the stuff they say and everything is super clever! All the equations and the facts they come away with are true! They even made a Schrodinger's cat reference! OOOMMMG!!"

and then when you actually watch it you realise it's big words for simple things. Especially when they talk fast, they chuck is smart sounding words that don't mean anything. Doesn't bother me, it's the stupid people who think they're smart that annoy me.

Yeah I figured you hadn’t read back your post as it made little sense, I wasn’t actually trying to be nasty...

I’m not sure that it’s just big words used for the sake of it, the joke is surely supposed to be that they don’t think in the simple terms that most of us do and so process everything in terms of science? It’s not particularly hard to get the gist of what they are saying but I would never be in a place to dispute the accuracy of the dialogue – and if you did that, let’s face it you have too much time on your hands! It’s a damn TV show!

I’ve never really seen much Frasier. I don’t really watch much TV as such, I tend to buy things on DVD. I did consider buying the Frasier box set when it was going mighty cheap in HMV but I can’t decide whether the episodes I’ve seen have enthralled me enough....

I’m always looking for decent comedy to watch though, I can only recycle my favourites so many times...and ‘Eastbound and Down’ Season 1 was pretty good, must get the 2nd season...

The 2nd season of Eastbound and Down is quite disappointing. I haven't seen the 3rd yet, but I've heard it's better. Not out on DVD yet though.

Not a TV Series, but just downloaded The Foot Fist Way, film starring Danny McBride. It's pretty fun. It's essentially Kenny Powers before he was Kenny Powers, and replace Baseball with Tae Kwon Do. Recommended if you dig E&D. He yells and swears alot and is generally a bastard. He's good at it.

The 2nd season of Eastbound and Down is quite disappointing. I haven't seen the 3rd yet, but I've heard it's better. Not out on DVD yet though.

Not a TV Series, but just downloaded The Foot Fist Way, film starring Danny McBride. It's pretty fun. It's essentially Kenny Powers before he was Kenny Powers, and replace Baseball with Tae Kwon Do. Recommended if you dig E&D. He yells and swears alot and is generally a bastard. He's good at it.

“The story of a man who teaches people how to kick other people in the face” - for that tag-line alone I am buying it. 3 quid on Amazon that'll do me...

The most recent episode of Game of Thrones was the best bit of TV I've seen since The Sopranos and Breaking Bad, simply stunning.

YES! This. It was just unreal. Especially The National singing out the credits: very unexpected, but very effective.

I thought Tyrion's "rally the troops" speech was a little tame, mind you. "Those men are brave also. Lets go kill them." Should definitely have been "let us go and kill them." It just didn't sound right.

I thought Tyrion's "rally the troops" speech was a little tame, mind you. "Those men are brave also. Lets go kill them." Should definitely have been "let us go and kill them." It just didn't sound right.

Totally agree, it was akin to what I imagine David Cameron's would be in a similar situation, "tally ho chaps". It was a shame as he had played a blinder before that.

(possible spoiler)

Although in contrast, flameboy's "Any man dies without blood on his sword, I'll rape his fucking corpse" was amazing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It was Kenan and Kel with sherry in place of orange soda.

Who loves Sibarita Olorose? Niles loves Sibarita Olorose!

Yeah, I guess it's a very subjective thing, what it takes for a sitcom to be seen as clever. I don't think Frasier is particularly because it's very formulaic and when stripped of its wine or classical music references, it's any other sitcom. It's excellent, but think of how many episodes are based around hilarious misunderstandings or how many contain a scene where one person is being kept hidden in one room while another person is being snuck out of the apartment. There are clever lines in it, but in terms of plot and structure, in my opinion, it's not.

Shows like Community and Arrested Development, on the other hand...

If you loathe Walter White, you're doing it wrong. You're meant to love him, and loathe yourself for loving such a bastard.

AMC are good at making asshole main people look like gods gift. Breaking Bad has one of the worst things ever at the end of Season 4, yet I went "it was bad, but he had his reasons".

Mad Men has the biggest dickhole of a main character, yet we hated his wife a lot more for being childish.

And Rick in Walking Dead. We find ourselves going "just fucking stay at home you dick", but if his wife were to ever say it, she'd look like the baddy.

Well, I'm a bit late to the party but I've started watching Frasier recently having previously discounted it as another one of those American sitcoms. Fantastic stuff.

In other news, Treme Season 2 arrived through my letter box today so I'm not coming out this weekend.

Well, I'm a bit late to the party but I've started watching Frasier recently having previously discounted it as another one of those American sitcoms. Fantastic stuff.

In other news, Treme Season 2 arrived through my letter box today so I'm not coming out this weekend.

In the closet 'til Monday then!

• Upvote 1