aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Bollocks to that, why on earth? Do you like the job?

Nope. Hate it. Don't have much choice. They've closed my department and put us all on redundancy notice, but given us the opportunity to apply for the jobs they've created to replace us. It's fucking bullshit but it's that or be unemployed. I already told them last week to shove it, but they've managed to persuade me to apply. Had the interview this morning.

Surely there are other jobs you could go for instead? 

You'd think so but the market in Dublin is brutal at the moment. It's so hard to find a job. Genuinely I've found I need to put in 40-50 applications to even get one interview. In my last job I did recruitment for a minimum wage call centre position and we had barristers and all sorts applying. I got one from a fucking pilot.

Fingers crossed it's all gone well, you find something else and THEN tell them to poke it. :up:

Yeah that's a better idea than what I did last week :) I got into a bit of a rage in the big meeting with HR and a few directors when they dropped that on us. Ran my mouth a wee bit. I had visions of an epic post in the "Best / Worst ways you've left a job" thread. Hopefully that isn't going to work against me too much.... I'm hoping they put it down to emotions running high.

Adding to my job lols above, being out of a job from next Friday (although my contract states a months written notice), and them deciding I'm not getting to find out until Tuesday whether or not I got one of the other jobs. Three days notice of unemployment. My work juggles 100 dicks.

GAY 4 SAILORS.

Adding to my job lols above, being out of a job from next Friday (although my contract states a months written notice), and them deciding I'm not getting to find out until Tuesday whether or not I got one of the other jobs. Three days notice of unemployment. My work juggles 100 dicks.

GAY 4 SAILORS.

If you don't get one, take them through whatever court/tribunal process you can whilst looking for something else.

If you don't get one, take them through whatever court/tribunal process you can whilst looking for something else.

This. Sounds like they've most probably contravened redundancy regulations so there's bound to be grounds there for some kind of tribunal.  Alternatively if they realise they've fucked it up by being bastards they might offer a decent lump sum as a please don't sue us payment.

That sounds awful. As above, get stuck into them legally. It's surprising how flagrantly some companies break rules with this stuff. And, they get away with it because in a lot of cases the employee doesn't know the law or is unwilling to follow through with legal proceedings.

I had a situation a while back where I left a job (on perfectly nice terms, although I hated my bosses with every inch of my being) then a few weeks later I get a cease and decist letter completely out of the blue (inferring I was slandering the company or something... long story short there was someone with a similar name saying bad stuff about them and I was completely uninvolved). I got some free advice from a lawyer friend, wrote a few stern emails and made some calls and within a week I had a formal apology and a set of references. I still think they did it just because they were bitter I left and wanted to intimidate me or something. Either way, it doesn't take much to get all official and 'fight back'. Cool story bro

Thanks guys. Yeah they are the drizzling shits. Fingers crossed I get one of these jobs, though I will continue to look elsewhere. They've shitted me around and broken my contract so many times it's not even funny. But if it does come to it I am going to pursue what I'm entitled to. My contract says a months written notice for termination, I got 2 weeks verbal notice and 1 week written, and the date on the letter is dated a week before they gave it to me, which I'm not sure counts.

GBOL and all that.

GAY 4 SAILORS.

Sorry to hear that, man. Same thing happened to me last January, though my then employers handled it properly. I thought it was the end of the world (I'm no youngster), but got another job within a couple of weeks.

Like Bigsby says, the 'Deen is bouyant at the moment - What's your skillset?

Booking tickets from Aberdeen Box Office, the most backward arsed system ever. Trying to get tickets for the Music Hall for the wife yesterday, standing show, instead of the standard drop-down and choose number of tickets required option used by pretty much any other site, you have to choose little circles showing the spaces for standing places! I understand this method for seats but this is just stupid. Choose a spot, go through 2 further clicks to secure that spot, choose the other spots same again, and of course by then the spots have gone so start again...or phone the permanently engaged phoneline.

For a city that is supposed to be so technologically forward due the oil industry, in many ways its like some quaint little town. It was easier buying tickets to take the bairns on Thomas the Tank Engine in fucking Brechin.

Rude buggers - I got told a collection date of the 14th, then told "no it is the week after", then it got changed to the 14th again and now I've been told "I'm not free that day, so it has to be the 15th".  

Why not just say the collection date is the 15th onwards?!  It's daft to be rude about me thinking the 14th was an option! 

Ugh, some folk need a slap.