aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Not sure if this is a pet hate or just something that bemuses me......no, it does annoy me a bit.

When I put two cups in the mircowave with the handles facing out, then no matter what time i set it for....the handles are always at the back and I need to use both hands to get the roasting fookers out.

Why don't you try putting them in with the handles pointing at the back while they're cold? Then when it pings they should be right in front of you and ready to pick up.

Microwaves are dicks anyway. There's literally no way to pour out soup, beans etc that has been heated in the microwave without burning your hands. Especially from a bowl. Not possible. Then you have to use a towel to hold the bowl and the towel gets covered in bean juice, then sometimes if you're me the bowl slips out of your hand and lands on the plate.

XO3UW.gif

Why don't you try putting them in with the handles pointing at the back while they're cold? Then when it pings they should be right in front of you and ready to pick up.

Microwaves are dicks anyway. There's literally no way to pour out soup, beans etc that has been heated in the microwave without burning your hands. Especially from a bowl. Not possible. Then you have to use a towel to hold the bowl and the towel gets covered in bean juice, then sometimes if you're me the bowl slips out of your hand and lands on the plate.

XO3UW.gif

I've started using a small plastic mixing bowl for microwaving beans and peas. Doesn't get nearly as hot as a breakfast bowl or soup bowl and can be handled without oven gloves.

On the subject of handles my wife keeps putting the kettle back with the handle facing towards the wall.  She does it because she boils it that way so the spout isn't under the bottom of the cupboards but it bugs the hell out of me for some reason.

Microwaving beans? Use a saucepan. No fuss. It's quicker too. and you don't get bean juice all over your microwave.

I put a cover over the bowl.

I actually prefer beans in the saucepan. You can overcook them and end up with a thicker sauce easier than in the micro but it just seems like more of a ball ache to clean a pot than a plastic bowl, plus it's quicker in the micro.

Yes you would think that was a good plan....however you then need to use both hands to put them in, or put them in one at a time. All I'm looking for is even a 50/50 chance of the handles facing the front.....but alas it's never the case. It might be (and this goes back to a long running debate on here) the case that I always try to use even numbers 40sec etc. Maybe try 45 sec, but that goes against my need for using even numbers for as much as possible.

Yes you would think that was a good plan....however you then need to use both hands to put them in, or put them in one at a time. All I'm looking for is even a 50/50 chance of the handles facing the front.....but alas it's never the case. It might be (and this goes back to a long running debate on here) the case that I always try to use even numbers 40sec etc. Maybe try 45 sec, but that goes against my need for using even numbers for as much as possible.

Put them on opposite sides, one at 3.00 and one at 9.00. Then one of them will always come out right.

I put a cover over the bowl.

I actually prefer beans in the saucepan. You can overcook them and end up with a thicker sauce easier than in the micro but it just seems like more of a ball ache to clean a pot than a plastic bowl, plus it's quicker in the micro.

I find it quicker in a pan. Induction hob. Beans are bubbling literally in seconds.

Induction hobs are the best.

I want better kitchen stuff. My kettle leaks and takes FOOOOOREEEEEVEEEEEER to boil and my toaster isn't big enough for my bread. There's like an inch of chewy cold bread at the top of all my toast.

Toaster: set the toasting level to slightly less than you would like your toast to be toasted to then turn the bread around and stick it back in on a lower toasting time setting. No more chewy cold bread.