aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Mis-use of the word 'feedback'

I've noticed this for a while but it's only recently started to really bug me. I thought it was a non-native speaker thing but I've heard Polish (american) people doing it too.

'We'll gather all the feedback and get back to you' = good

How would you pluralise this sentence? you could go 'we'll gather all the bits of feedback and get back to you' or you could even keep it the same because number isn't implied (feedback could be plural or singular I suppose)

it DEFINITELY isn't ok to say 'We'll gather all the feedbacks and get back to you'

Nope, don't try to add 's' to it. I would rather use:

We will gather the groups feedback.

This implies that there is more than one person giving feedback. Or....

We will gather the feedback from the others. etc.

The only time I've heard it with an 's' is when it's something like:

The guitars feedbacks like fook. Even then I'm not sure it's a proper term/word.

I thought "feedback" was like "data", and was it's own plural? We'll gather all the feedback and/or data...

And I would say "the guitar feeds back like fook..." rather than "feedbacks", but I wouldn't be surprised if neither were correct!

xx

I pronounce data "dah-ta" now. Too much Poland. Poland talks really American. They call football soccer, and trousers pants. They also call bacon "rashers". Not as in just "how many rashers of bacon do you want", but as in "I'd like a roll with sausage, egg and rashers" or "I bought rashers for the morning". Oh and they call sideburns "locks". Fucking weird country.

That didn't really have anything to do with your post.

Also; Pet Hate. People who get all overly-vitriolic over Americanisms in speech. I'm all in favour of pulling out a soap box and having a rant, but fuck me find something less boring to rant about! It always comes across a little UKIP-y to me - this is GREAT BRITAIN and here we say CHIPS! NOT FRIES! Fuck the fuck off.

xx

• Upvote 1

Also; Pet Hate. People who get all overly-vitriolic over Americanisms in speech. I'm all in favour of pulling out a soap box and having a rant, but fuck me find something less boring to rant about! It always comes across a little UKIP-y to me - this is GREAT BRITAIN and here we say CHIPS! NOT FRIES! Fuck the fuck off.

xx

Yes and no. It annoys me when I'm in McDonalds or something and I hear people arguing about it there. I'm like, dude fuck off, you're in McDonalds, they're called fries here. But in any other facet of life if someone asks me if I want fries, or tells me to take the elevator, I'll stab them.

Yes and no. It annoys me when I'm in McDonalds or something and I hear people arguing about it there. I'm like, dude fuck off, you're in McDonalds, they're called fries here. But in any other facet of life if someone asks me if I want fries, or tells me to take the elevator, I'll stab them.

I'm yet to hear anyone refer to crisps as "chips" yet, but I imagine that one would piss me off. But at the same time, it'd only annoy me about 10% as much as whoever chimes in bitching about Americanisms.

xx

Aye, tbh I can't be doing with anyone who incorrectly thinks that the english language is a beautiful thing worth trying to maintain or rescue.  People have tried to pin it down for centuries, but it's a bastardized, illogical tongue that constantly evolves while leeching off others.

I heard someone in the rec room at work yesterday commenting on the second world war, ending with "*inward Aye* if they'd won, we'd all be speaking German right now".  It strikes me as weird that that is something even worth mentioning being scared of.  Genocide, whatever.

• Upvote 2

I'm yet to hear anyone refer to crisps as "chips" yet, but I imagine that one would piss me off. But at the same time, it'd only annoy me about 10% as much as whoever chimes in bitching about Americanisms.

xx

Kettle Chips...

• Upvote 1

Aye, tbh I can't be doing with anyone who incorrectly thinks that the english language is a beautiful thing worth trying to maintain or rescue.  People have tried to pin it down for centuries, but it's a bastardized, illogical tongue that constantly evolves while leeching off others.

I heard someone in the rec room at work yesterday commenting on the second world war, ending with "*inward Aye* if they'd won, we'd all be speaking German right now".  It strikes me as weird that that is something even worth mentioning being scared of.  Genocide, whatever.

The beautiful thing about the English language IS that it's constantly evolving. If language doesn't move or change it dies.

Fair point - but if I were to be referring to a bag of Kettle Chips, unless I was specifically referring to the brand, I'd still call them a bag of crisps. Although, the phrase "chips 'n' dips" might have cropped up in conversation at some point...

xx

Chips 'n' Dips?

fucksakes - such unpunx!!