aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

I sort of see what you mean, but the north east of England is the only accent that really likes to ostensibly partition itself. Obviously that's down to extreme local pride and tribalism, but I feel pretty well-versed in most local accents throughout the UK, but the north east of England does baffle me a little. It's a shame you're unable to actually describe and highlight the variances. Nobody that I ask seems to be able to, and I have numerous Geordie friends who like to goad the Mackem accent, and even they can't really describe or point out the accent differences.

Anyway, this is not a pet hate of mine, merely a curiosity. So I'll stop digressing!

I don't know about that. Out of the five cities I have lived in four of them you would have people discussing/taking the piss out of the different dialects. I wish I could help you with the differences but it is hard to define, I found this site a while back and it is dated and not complete but interesting none the less (http://sounds.bl.uk/Accents-and-dialects/BBC-Voices/021M-C1190X0043XX-0901V0). Also the Wearside Jack tape shows a definite difference to the geordie accent to me. As for the Middlesbourgh accent, check out Teeside TinTin and this little gem

Edited by Gypsum_Fantastic

I'd say Aberdonians and other north-east dwellers wouldn't wish to be mistaken for Dundonians (nothing wrong with Dundee) and probably vice versa.  There is a big difference in accent, though obviously some similar phrasing.  There's a difference just between Mearns Doric and Buchan Doric.  Accent and dialect varies hugely over small distances.

He still sounds Geordie though.

• Downvote 1

For that service charge, I'd expect the ticket to be delivered in a 24 carat-gold envelope with a blowy off the postie included.

Ticketmaster now charging £2.75 for postage these days. Cunting fucks.

Yep. Just tried to buy Nick Cave tickets from Ticketmaster, thought £2.80 extra for booking fees was alright by their standards, then I got to the page before I was about to pay and it says it'll cost £5.50 to post them out. Fucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXbNUZycXdo

I am Homer, Ticketmaster is Moe.

I'd say Aberdonians and other north-east dwellers wouldn't wish to be mistaken for Dundonians (nothing wrong with Dundee) and probably vice versa.  There is a big difference in accent, though obviously some similar phrasing.  There's a difference just between Mearns Doric and Buchan Doric.  Accent and dialect varies hugely over small distances.

He still sounds Geordie though.

Nothing wrong with Dundee?!  Get out.

• Upvote 1

Nothing wrong with Dundee?!  Get out.

hehe, accept it and you can move on with your life.  I was there for the morning yesterday and saw a great dance performance, walked across the road to check out the exhibition at the DCA, then back across the road to ketchup for a pretty damned tasty burger.  then round the corner and on my train, after popping into groucho's for a quick browse of course.

that's a pretty good morning in any city.

• Upvote 1

hehe, accept it and you can move on with your life.  I was there for the morning yesterday and saw a great dance performance, walked across the road to check out the exhibition at the DCA, then back across the road to ketchup for a pretty damned tasty burger.  then round the corner and on my train, after popping into groucho's for a quick browse of course.

that's a pretty good morning in any city.

Ketchup do have really good food, went there on my first date with my missus.

What's with all the Dundeh hatred: are you clinging to cliched Aibrrrdeen dislike of the place, or were you inappropriately touched in the Club bar at some point?

Just the cliche to be honest. It's a standard response for me when Dundee is mentioned anywhere - I've not really spent much time there (thankfully! LOL), nor do I know many Dundonians. Shit accent tho.

:up:

• Upvote 1

My current living situation. It's fucking shite. Split between a blow up bed at the folks and the sofa bed at the ex's. I have no deposit saved and the only interest I've had in anyone renting a room to me so far is a single girl and her kid. Which means I won't feel at home at all but to be honest it'll probably be a lot better than the current one...

My current living situation. It's fucking shite. Split between a blow up bed at the folks and the sofa bed at the ex's. I have no deposit saved and the only interest I've had in anyone renting a room to me so far is a single girl and her kid. Which means I won't feel at home at all but to be honest it'll probably be a lot better than the current one...

At the risk of sounding interested: When did you split up with the GF?

• Upvote 1

I've moaned about a similar thing before but fuck me, this one took the cake.

I noticed Shawshank Redemption was about to start on one of the movie channels so we sat down to watch it. 30 seconds in there's some odd squelchy sound effect and a graphic pops up on screen saying something like 'This scene was shot on location at an actual prison'. Cue these pop-up video tidbits throughout the entire film.

I have so many issues with this. First off, it entirely ruins the film. The moment just before the famous shit-pipe rain scene it told us to 'pay attention... the next scene is really powerful'. Are people's attention spans so short nowadays that they have to remind them to put their phone away and look at the screen? Completely ruined the suspense and my girlfriend who hadnt seen it before had this weird MTV style experience of what should be a classic film.

Secondly, don't touch an original piece of work. That shit should be kept sacred, no matter how shitty the film is. I'm sure Frank Darabont didn't intend for viewers to be told about various prop mishaps during filming so don't tell me.

I hate 'extended Blu ray versions' too but at least I can choose not to watch that version, whereas with this there was no indication that this was anything other than the original film.

I've moaned about a similar thing before but fuck me, this one took the cake.

I noticed Shawshank Redemption was about to start on one of the movie channels so we sat down to watch it. 30 seconds in there's some odd squelchy sound effect and a graphic pops up on screen saying something like 'This scene was shot on location at an actual prison'. Cue these pop-up video tidbits throughout the entire film.

I have so many issues with this. First off, it entirely ruins the film. The moment just before the famous shit-pipe rain scene it told us to 'pay attention... the next scene is really powerful'. Are people's attention spans so short nowadays that they have to remind them to put their phone away and look at the screen? Completely ruined the suspense and my girlfriend who hadnt seen it before had this weird MTV style experience of what should be a classic film.

Secondly, don't touch an original piece of work. That shit should be kept sacred, no matter how shitty the film is. I'm sure Frank Darabont didn't intend for viewers to be told about various prop mishaps during filming so don't tell me.

I hate 'extended Blu ray versions' too but at least I can choose not to watch that version, whereas with this there was no indication that this was anything other than the original film.

Never seen nor heard of that happening before. Must just be 'Merican.

xx

2 weeks ago. We're good mates, and it seemed to be working. Until the last few days. Enough's enough. I need out ASAP. But still have to wait till the end of this month till I have money. And even then I won't have a deposit saved. 

did you split up cause you kept spending her money?

• Upvote 2

Never seen nor heard of that happening before. Must just be 'Merican.

xx

It will only be a matter of time before it reaches the UK. In fact, you should check some of the teen channels - it might already be on the go.

I have so many pet hates related to US TV. The technology used for the cable boxes is about 20 years old for starters. Then there's the playing of the credits BEFORE the final scene of a show. Then there's the no ad-breaks between shows (it cuts from one show to another with absolutely no break yet during the show there's about 30 of them). It's all to do with maximum attention grabbing opportunity - you can't schedule a cup of tea between shows because you never know when the ads will come.

Ad breaks on US TV seem unbearable. Especially that one that they have right before the last scene of a show. I remember that almost catching on when the now defunct abc1 channel used to show shitty US sitcoms with an ad break right before the end, and then no ad break between the end of that show and the start of a new show.

US TV is tailored to it, so now you get ad breaks 5 minutes into new episodes of the Simpsons on UK TV as the shows are almost written around these breaks.

They should certainly learn from our model of no ad breaks during live sports, ever. That's caught on in Europe too. I was watching a Russian stream of the United/Madrid game the other night, and they had an advert break in the middle of both halves. It was when the ball went out of play, but the ball was very much back in play by the time it returned. FUCK THAT.