aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

I tried peeling bananas from the other end (one without the stalk) last week. It changed my life.

Is that not meant to be the "correct" way?

Bananas are minging, it's taken years of trying but I can finally be in the same room as someone eating a banana.  Before I just used to have to run out, whilst trying not to be sick.

Is that not meant to be the "correct" way?

It's how animals (apes, monkeys etc) would peel them if you gave them one.  Regardless of correct it's certainly easier. Just squeeze gently and peel. No danger of squashing the banana into mush trying rip the stalk end open.

This grievance popped into my head today. I can't be doing with people who comment on music you are listening to as "depressing", as if listening to it will have you slitting your wrists after 5 minutes. I wonder if these folk can only listen to happy music in case their fragile and malleable brains interpret the emotion of the music literally and retreat to a corner for a good cry. I guess they only ever listen to "Walking on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves. Even using the term happy is myself over generalising, but I've met far too many people who categorise music as either good or depressing. Depressing seems to be any type of music less than 90 bpm, as it's not like I'm blasting out "Berlin" by Lou Reed 24 hours a day. Not recently anyway.

Good pet hate. I can totally relate. I think it's symptomatic of a society that likes to have an easy bi-polar categorisation of everything.... 'I don't watch the news because it's depressing', 'That film was sad', 'I like upbeat happy music'... people want to place things neatly into piles and the easiest one is based on two emotional extremes: happy and sad.

Most music (and any other forms of art) can't be simplistically analysed like that, which is a shame because not listening to something because you cast it aside as 'depressing' means you miss out on a lot of good stuff. Upbeat music can make you feel sad, just as slower tempos can make you feel happy, just as a seemingly dark film can be uplifiting or a bright, pacey film can be saddening. Although there's probably some science behind it - minor chords and dark colors are sad, at least in our brain's initial interpretation so I don't wholly blame the numpties included in your pet hate.

Before I try this banana madness, I need to know one thing. Does this new method mean you have to remove the edible white bit completely, or can you still do the flower petal thing giving you a nice handle to hold without touching the white bit? I prefer a bananahandle.

You still peel it like normal. So yes you get a handle.