aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

This! I used to get so worried about everything from university exams, to relationships with girls, to my part-time job as a waiter. Now that I am in the "real world" in a reasonably high pressure job, with real life problems, I just don't seem to be phased by anything. Even things that I probably should be worried about. It's kind of great, but maybe I should be worried that I'm not worried.

Trains. Specifically, to London. Why does anyone get the train to London from Aberdeen?

a) it takes ages

b) it's about twice the price of the cheapest flight

c) normally packed full by the time you get to Preston

I'm aware it gets you straight into central London, which is a bonus, but really? Is that worth it being so much more expensive than flying into Gatwick and getting the train in from there?

Trains. Specifically, to London. Why does anyone get the train to London from Aberdeen?

a) it takes ages

I'm aware it gets you straight into central London, which is a bonus, but really? Is that worth it being so much more expensive than flying into Gatwick and getting the train in from there?

For people that don't like flying? Or people that love trains?

a) it takes ages

Is it that much quicker when you take into account waiting around in airports and getting into central London? Is it that much cheaper if you book in advance and take into account the extra cost of getting out to Aberdeen airport and into central London (if you haven't got someone to drive you)? I don't know. I've done both but the journey by air a 3 years ago so I can't remember what the costs/times were. By train I got a return for £60 and the journey took about 7 hours each way going down/up the East Coast Mainline.

Is it that much quicker when you take into account waiting around in airports and getting into central London? Is it that much cheaper if you book in advance and take into account the extra cost of getting out to Aberdeen airport and into central London (if you haven't got someone to drive you)? I don't know. I've done both but the journey by air a 3 years ago so I can't remember what the costs/times were. By train I got a return for £60 and the journey took about 7 hours each way going down/up the East Coast Mainline.

you'd be lucky to get to Glasgow and back on £60 these days

I just arbitrarily picked some future dates on the national rail enquiries website and I can get a return (strictly speaking it's 2 singles but that's not the point here) to London for £65.58. £21.35 to go down on October 3rd leaving Aberdeen at 9.52am and £44.50 coming back at a choice of different times a week later.

I'm £75 total for a return flight to Gatwick. If I check in online beforehand, I need to be there an hour before my flight. Total flight + waiting time is give or take 2.5 hours.

The Gatwick Express is a train that runs between Gatwick Airport and central London, costs £16 and takes 30 minutes. Therefore, total travel time (give or take a half hour waiting for the train, and only carry-on baggage) is 3.5 hours from Aberdeen to Victoria station, at a cost of < £100.

The train from Aberdeen to London Kings Cross takes at best 7.5 hours (not allowing for delays, which in my experience are plentiful) at a cheapest return cost of £162 (notwithstanding the fact the train times for this ticket are inconvenient).

Granted, this is for about a month from now, it may be different if I was booking three months in advance or something.

I generally still go to England by train, but the costs are getting ridiculous. Five years ago it was quite easy to book advance tickets to London for around £35 return. These days you can just about get them for £70 if you're really quick. It used to be that advanced train prices were comparable with what you would pay on budget airlines but these days the prices are often higher than for BA. I have no idea how those price increases can be justified.

Getting stung with a £550 electricity bill this morning. I called them assuming it was a mistake and they told me that all my bills since December were estimated, and now that they've got a reading they have charged me what I should have paid over the past 9 months. Seemingly, they estimated me at using 5 units a day, and she said the average household uses 13 units a day. So why in the name of fuck don't they estimate it using the fucking average? Wankers.

Getting stung with a £550 electricity bill this morning. I called them assuming it was a mistake and they told me that all my bills since December were estimated, and now that they've got a reading they have charged me what I should have paid over the past 9 months. Seemingly, they estimated me at using 5 units a day, and she said the average household uses 13 units a day. So why in the name of fuck don't they estimate it using the fucking average? Wankers.

They estimated our bill at being £300 too high, per month over 4 months. Looked at the meter and they assumed we were using double what we actually were.

The worst of it was, we got a bill from Nov-Mar (or somewhere around there) that worked out at ~£200 a month. They then assumed that we'd use more than twice that amount over Mar-July. Fucktards.

xx

Most of the reasons have been covered, but I'd add that you don't have to worry about baggage charges and being skinned on the way back. Or paying stupid credit/debit card surcharges, which the 'budget' airlines seem to have a hard-on for.

Put simply, I hate air travel more than by rail.....

This may be a re-post but when I hate it when you go out in a big group for a meal. The waiting staff all appear with various dishes but nobody pays them any attention except me.

Waiter: Macaroni Cheese?

Me: (shakes head)

(chatter)

(chatter)

me: WHO's HAVING THE MACARONI FUCKING CHEESE??!?!?!?!

• Upvote 7

This may be a re-post but when I hate it when you go out in a big group for a meal. The waiting staff all appear with various dishes but nobody pays them any attention except me.

Me: (shakes head)

(chatter)

(chatter)

me: WHO's HAVING THE MACARONI FUCKING CHEESE??!?!?!?!

And then someone forgets what they've ordered.

Dickhead: Oh I'm having Macaroni Cheese, it's mine

*looks at plate a few minutes later*

Dickhead: Actually I ordered fish and chips.

*Hands back to waiter*

• Upvote 2

And then someone forgets what they've ordered.

Dickhead: Oh I'm having Macaroni Cheese, it's mine

*looks at plate a few minutes later*

Dickhead: Actually I ordered fish and chips.

*Hands back to waiter*

I always do that in the Indian, because I don't know the names of any Indian dishes so I order them by the description. Then they come out and they're like "Who's having the Lamb Velvetjimjambedknobhulkhogan?" and I'm like "fucked if I know love".

• Upvote 1