aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Guest Bob Knob
People who put what they play in their band as their job on Facebook.

Proper pet hate that.

Same goes for people who have a decent camera. Suddenly they are a "Photographer".

No. You work in Topshop.

• Upvote 3

I would disagree, you play music you are a musician, doesnt matter if its your day job or anything, you are by definition a musician if you play a musical instrument. I still wouldnt put it on my fb profile as my job but if someone asks me what do i do with my time i tell them im a musician in my spare time.

I think if you have certificates to prove your grade as a musician on a certain instrument, then you can probably consider yourself to be a musician, as it outlines your utmost understanding behind the instrument, and the theory required. If, like me, you learned how to play guitar by listening to something shite like Brain Stew over and over, then probably not.

I used to write a bunch of reviews for C-Zine, slagging off shit indie rock demos. I'm definitely not a writer. I probably would do if someone's was stupid enough to pay me to write, to the extent that I could quit my job, and slag off bands and make enough money to buy food. Until then, I'm not a writer. I just write to get free CDs.

• Upvote 1

I'd feel like an utter fuckhead telling anyone I was a musician. Despite being on fuck knows how many releases (including a demo that outsold Franz Ferdinand's first album for two weeks in One-Up. BOOM!) and touring fuck knows how many countries.

I can play a couple of power chords really fast and I once did a blastbeat. I'm not a musician though. That's insulting to real musicians.

• Upvote 2

By some measures of achievement on here on here I could class myself as a gynaecologist.

Surely if you do something on a relatively full-time basis and it is what earns you your income, then that dictates whether you can class yourself as that profession? I mean, I can understand how some folk may be a writer/musician or whatever if those are the activities which they divide their time between to pay the bills, otherwise as someone else said, hobby...

• Upvote 4

The teen ned girls who hang around the door of the Indian takeaway in my town talking about "fit lads at the marquee".

Shut up. You're overweight skets that no one would look at.

Also just because I was wearing a flat cap does not make me old.

It makes me stylish (lies - I'm just out of touch with fashion).

I sometimes give my occupation as musician if someone asks. I'm a Customer Care Agent as a way to make money and nothing more. Answering phones is what I do for 8 hours a day to put food on the table. It means nothing to me. Making music is what I love doing more than anything, therefore if someone asks me "What do you do" I say I'm a musician.