aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

We had to book a train from Leeds to Aberdeen for a Burlesque performer 2 months in advance and the very cheapest I could get was circa £100 return.

Fuck trains.

xx

Fuck trains indeed. I dunno what it is about Leeds, but getting a cheapo advance ticket to Leeds is near impossible. It's actually cheaper to get an advance ticket to Manchester, which is further west and south than Leeds, and get a standard ticket across the Pennines. It's shite, since I need to go there twice a year or so to go and visit family and such. I rue the day I turned 26 and could no longer use my young persons rail card. Why do young people get it so easy? I have less money now than I did when I was 18-25. There should be a late 20's discount card for people in shit jobs like me. The lowlife card.

• Upvote 1

Fuck trains indeed. I dunno what it is about Leeds, but getting a cheapo advance ticket to Leeds is near impossible. It's actually cheaper to get an advance ticket to Manchester, which is further west and south than Leeds, and get a standard ticket across the Pennines. It's shite, since I need to go there twice a year or so to go and visit family and such. I rue the day I turned 26 and could no longer use my young persons rail card. Why do young people get it so easy? I have less money now than I did when I was 18-25. There should be a late 20's discount card for people in shit jobs like me. The lowlife card.

I travelled through Leeds on my way to Manchester to see Brooooce, was disappointed that I never saw a single Goth, I always thought it was Goth Central...perhaps I really need to move on from 1985...

It was Goth central up until the mid 00's, when they changed the Corn Exchange from some alt-mall to some upmarket hellhole. Every Saturday the goths would pile outside and sit on the steps, all day, rain or shine. Since that place died, the Goths have died too. No idea where they all loiter anymore.

It was Goth central up until the mid 00's, when they changed the Corn Exchange from some alt-mall to some upmarket hellhole. Every Saturday the goths would pile outside and sit on the steps, all day, rain or shine. Since that place died, the Goths have died too. No idea where they all loiter anymore.

That place is the pits. I went into the head shop there and asked for some rainbow rips and the lassie looked down on me and said "We don't stock novelty items" whilst her partner sneered at me. So i suppose Yoda bongs aren't a fucking novelty then you cretin! I hope they went out of business. Cool story etc

• Upvote 1

Your wish might have come true. I think every shop in there went out of business when it got bought and renovated into some wanky tea shop and art gallery type shithole. Before that, it was still a horrible place apart from the comic shop and the CD stall in the basement, which a man sold obscure punk rock CDs out of flight cases on a fold up table for £5 a go. He had a big boombox and he'd let you listen to any of it before you bought it, since it was all totally unheard of stuff. That guy was the best.

Your wish might have come true. I think every shop in there went out of business when it got bought and renovated into some wanky tea shop and art gallery type shithole. Before that, it was still a horrible place apart from the comic shop and the CD stall in the basement, which a man sold obscure punk rock CDs out of flight cases on a fold up table for £5 a go. He had a big boombox and he'd let you listen to any of it before you bought it, since it was all totally unheard of stuff. That guy was the best.

No this was after it turned into the wanky place it is now. One of the main things I miss about Leeds is the market. That and the Brundell Social Club.

Oh really? I didn't think they had shops like that when it got rennovated, but I only went in once, saw a tea shop and a little stall that sold lampshades. I quickly turned and left, and never went back.

Leeds Market is the best market on earth.

Brudenell is great too. Star Wars pinball, and £1 a pint Mondays. Pretty sure the family that own it are inbred. They look like mutants.

• Upvote 1

Was approached by a friend of a friend who's looking to move back up here and was wanting me to pass on his CV. Loads of experience, there's an open vacancy that he'd be perfect for but it's not part of the employee referral program. Fuck.

Passed it on anyway 'cause I'm a nice guy but it would be nice to get some money from it if he gets the job.

Also, I'm with waltz. Mac 'n' cheese is the dog's bollocks. There is a lot of potential for experimentation in there. Why not fry up some onions, a bit of tuna and some green pepper and add it to the mix. Then top it off with sliced tomatoes, breadcrumbs and some more bloody cheese and leave to grill for a wee bit. Mac 'n' cheese is more like a food staple in my eyes. Like potato.

• Upvote 1

How do they decide which roles are and aren't part of the referral program? Seems very odd. Definitely push for some cash if he gets it!

Apparently it's only hard to fill jobs. So there's a tick box when they fill out the form for HR to create the vacancy, but no-one ticks the box because they don't know if it's going to be hard to fill when they first advertise it.

Seems strange. Most other places I've worked it's been open for all vacancies. There's a lot of review on our HR policies just now so perhaps this'll change in the future.

On the plus side I spoke to the line manager who's vacancy it is (it's within our department) and he's going to try and sort out some cash for me if the guy gets through.

• Upvote 1