aberdeen-music

Brewdog WINS!!

framheim

You're comparing them to lagers rather than ales/beers though.

I'd take a good ale over a bottle of becks but I'd take almost any other beer over brewdog.

And the stout is fucking awful, too.

xx

I had the rip tide and it was boggin'. I've tried.. Punk, Hardcore, 5am, Trashy, 77, Dogma, rip tide, zeitgeist, sink the bismark and to be honest I only disliked rip tide and dogma.

zeitgeist surprised me as I looked at it and though oh fuck, waste of money. And I love it.

Although I have to say, I did feel a bit annoyed when I went in and James said "I didn't know what I even wanted at 19!", as if to imply I would have no idea what a beer tastes like and it was wasted on me. That feeling soon went away as soon as the drinks were flowing and the barstaff were the friendliest people I've ever met.

I agree the staff are lovely. One of the best bars I've been in in Aberdeen for service (IMHO).

I like that brewdog are turning people on to real ales and stouts who normally would be squirrelled away in their comfort zone drinking Tennants (or a Corona if they felt exotic). I just sincerely hope these people, once they realise that there is a wider world to explore, explore at least as far as the POW and the Moorings and try some of their weird and wonderful ales, rather than just finding a new 'comfort zone' among brewdog beers.

xx

I agree the staff are lovely. One of the best bars I've been in in Aberdeen for service (IMHO).

I like that brewdog are turning people on to real ales and stouts who normally would be squirrelled away in their comfort zone drinking Tennants (or a Corona if they felt exotic). I just sincerely hope these people, once they realise that there is a wider world to explore, explore at least as far as the POW and the Moorings and try some of their weird and wonderful ales, rather than just finding a new 'comfort zone' among brewdog beers.

xx

I've got to say, you've got it pap on there. I need to head to moorings at some point. Only been once for a gig and I had a strawberry cider. Very exotic. Ha.

I've got to say, you've got it pap on there. I need to head to moorings at some point. Only been once for a gig and I had a strawberry cider. Very exotic. Ha.
That's good as we don't do strawberry cider (and don't think we ever have). We do strawberry, cherry, raspberry, banana and coconut beers though.

EDIT: Reading that back, I sounded like a complete cunt.

I am a fan of the BrewDog beers it has to be said.

Although, if i'm there, I tend to stick to the guest beers instead of theirs.

Moorings is indeed good for some different tipples.

The beer festival will be on a Pittodrie in a couple of months time too, always worth exploring (although I did spew the bed after last years event..... pretty sexy).

If any of you are planning on savouring some of the world beer stock that The Moorings have, I suggest going down this week/weekend, as the world beer delivery just arrived meaning there's the biggest selection.

I suggest Brugse Zot, Chang, Asahi Black, Singha, Flying Dog Old Scratch and Cooper's Red.

Another thing that's good to try is to get a half and half pint of Budvar. That's half dark Budvar and half normal Budvar. Apparently it's very popular in Czech Republic, which is where Budvar's from.

The strawberry beer you tried is most likely Frulli, which should also be in though if you like that, I also suggest the Bacchus Kriek (cherry) as it's lush.

I am a fan of the BrewDog beers it has to be said.

Although, if i'm there, I tend to stick to the guest beers instead of theirs.

Moorings is indeed good for some different tipples.

The beer festival will be on a Pittodrie in a couple of months time too, always worth exploring (although I did spew the bed after last years event..... pretty sexy).

I got so pissed at that thing that i dropped my glasses, the lenses fell out of them and I wore them all night and didnt even notice.

The cherry beer is 2die4!

Delirium is fantastic too.

xx

That Cherry Beer at the Moorings is superb. It's rich stuff though. I usually just have a little half pint, but I bought a big bottle from Morrisons and downed it after a few other beers. I felt ill. The missis said I was an angry drunk, but I remember nothing.

As doe Brewdog, I personally think Brewdog beers are more flavoursome than most ales I've had. I certainly didn't use it as a 'gateway' ale either. I'd never heard of it until I moved up here a few years ago.

The thing about Brewdog as a gateway ale is that they as a company appear to openly dislike "real ales". If it isn't over-hopped, strong or American then the Brewdog guys aren't really interested and label it boring.

It's one aspect of the company that really irritates me.

I like some of the Brewdog beers, 5AM Saint is outstanding. But I wish they could accept that their beer isn't the only beer you're allowed to like.

I hadn't really tried any variety of beers until I was about 24 or 25, instead choosing to drink Tennents along with the occasional German, Spanish or South American lager. That was it. I had no concept on what other types of beer there were and I didn't see the reason in knowing, I drank whatever was on offer because I enjoyed the taste of the beer.

It was only when I tried the odd bottle of punk or trashy blonde, that my tastes changed and I really started understanding beer better. Since then I've taken a real interest in how beer is made and what goes into it, getting to the point of pricing out microbrewery equipment for making my own beer, using the hops I like, producing beers I will hopefully love. I thank Brewdog for that and it was one of the main reasons I became a shareholder.

It has also given me an interest in other breweries locally and internationally, where I've spent various %'s of wage packets buying beers that I've never tasted before, in addition to plenty of return purchases at breweries I like. e.g. today's purchases from Tesco's excellent deal, saving around 2 or 3 on over 7 of beer; coming from William's Brewery, Black Isle Brewery and Isle of Arran Brewery.

Long story short: I bought cheap beers from multi-national breweries to get drunk... discovered brewdog... and now buy more expensive beer from smaller breweries to enjoy (and get drunk).

I like some of the Brewdog beers, 5AM Saint is outstanding. But I wish they could accept that their beer isn't the only beer you're allowed to like.

To be fair to them, they big up many other breweries and beers from around the UK as well as the rest of the world at both their beer dinners and events at their pubs.

I think a lot of their marketing is very tongue in cheek and takes the piss a bit and can make them seem a bit aloof.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still have the odd pint of Tenents or Best now and again, but i'd rather choose beer from a smaller brewery like Deeside Brewery, Meantime, Thornbridge etc etc.

All up to personal taste at the end of the day.

i suppose this is relevant - an Edinburgh food magazine asked me to do a BrewDog Aberdeen pub review for the imminent opening of their Edinburgh bar.

To relieve you of your exhaustive nerves and excitement about the Royal Wedding for around 1 minute here it's:

Brewdog : Bars/Beer : Bar Reviews : Bars : Bite Magazine

Anyone been to the Burg's version?

The thing about Brewdog as a gateway ale is that they as a company appear to openly dislike "real ales". If it isn't over-hopped, strong or American then the Brewdog guys aren't really interested and label it boring.

It's one aspect of the company that really irritates me.

Is that nae just in line with their typically cocksure and aggressive marketing methodology? Probably not entirely serious.

Is that nae just in line with their typically cocksure and aggressive marketing methodology? Probably not entirely serious.

Yeah I guess it is. It still irritates me though. Same with the Beer For Punks tagline. I do think that while their tongue will be slightly in their cheek they do believe what they're saying as well though. Certainly they've had a few potshots in their blog at anything which doesn't conform to their vision of what a beer should be.

Yeah I guess it is. It still irritates me though. Same with the Beer For Punks tagline. I do think that while their tongue will be slightly in their cheek they do believe what they're saying as well though. Certainly they've had a few potshots in their blog at anything which doesn't conform to their vision of what a beer should be.

To be honest I like the cut of their jib. Anyone trying to get a rise out of stuffy establishment types gets my thumbs up. I've only been dabbling with real ales in the past couple of years and in no big way. I probably drink their brews more than any others. Stocked up on some Trashy Blonde at Asda the other night, great stuff.

Personally, I think brewdog beers are average at best and are a complete triumph of style over substance.

xx

Completely disagree, I've drank hundreds of beers and I still think 5AM Saint is one of the best beers I've ever had. I first drank Brewdog before I was aware of any of it's marketing/trendiness when I tried Hop Rocker and The Physic at Tunnels and loved both of them.

I enjoy a lof of British beers (other Scottish breweries Harviestoun and Cairngorm rank high on my favourites) but drinking Brewdog has made me realise I prefer the American style beers (Anchor Steam, Goose Island, 3 Floyds, Samuel Adams)

If any of you are planning on savouring some of the world beer stock that The Moorings have, I suggest going down this week/weekend, as the world beer delivery just arrived meaning there's the biggest selection.

I suggest Brugse Zot, Chang, Asahi Black, Singha, Flying Dog Old Scratch and Cooper's Red.

Another thing that's good to try is to get a half and half pint of Budvar. That's half dark Budvar and half normal Budvar. Apparently it's very popular in Czech Republic, which is where Budvar's from.

The strawberry beer you tried is most likely Frulli, which should also be in though if you like that, I also suggest the Bacchus Kriek (cherry) as it's lush.

Cooper's Red has become one of the staples of my Australian beer diet. I'll be hitting that hard on my return. Does the Moorings have the Pale Ale? (Cooper's Green) It's a bit more agreeable in taste but doesn't pack quite the punch of the Sparkling Ale.

Brewdog infuriate me sometimes. I like to see local people doing so well but their marketing is so aggressive and cocky, dissing other beers and treating the customers almost as if they know nothing about drink themselves. This wouldn't be so bad (but still pretty fucking annoying) if they made some fantastic beers but in my humble opinion, they don't. Like Alkaline and Stroopy have said, underwhelmed totally by anything they've made and I think it really is an achievement of style over substance. Distinctly mediocre drink with a clever marketing department.