aberdeen-music

Brewdog WINS!!

framheim

The two guys are actually really nice. So are some of their beers. The snobby hipster clientele of the bar and their "Beer for Punx" slogan are fucking shite though.

Case in point, was working in The Moorings one night, and a well known hipster came in...
"Have you got any Brew Dog?"
"Not at the moment, we're out."
"Oh, that's a shame. We've just been in Brew Dog."
"We've got a shitload of other craft beers. What were you drinking in Brew Dog and I can recommend something similar?"
"Nah, just a JD & Coke."

YEAH, ITS THE CRAFT BEER REVOLUTION!!!

• Upvote 3

Fantastic.

I remember once someone went to Brewdog asking for something like Corona. I'm pretty sure James was working there and got all snooty. "Well I hope we don't have anything like that!". The guys tried some of the beers, bought a pint and left. Then the bar staff made some sort of joke about them. Probably about them not being punk enough to enjoy their punk beers for punks (and old people and hipsters and anyone who rolls in off the street). 

Anyway, I do like what their doing in the way of how they fought for the schooner, and fighting for higher precentage beers. And more often than not they come across pleasant on the news. But at other times they come across as total snobs who think they're massive pioneers and craft beer wasn't even a thing before they thought about putting it in a deer head.

Fantastic.

I remember once someone went to Brewdog asking for something like Corona. I'm pretty sure James was working there and got all snooty. "Well I hope we don't have anything like that!". The guys tried some of the beers, bought a pint and left. Then the bar staff made some sort of joke about them. Probably about them not being punk enough to enjoy their punk beers for punks (and old people and hipsters and anyone who rolls in off the street). 

Anyway, I do like what their doing in the way of how they fought for the schooner, and fighting for higher precentage beers. And more often than not they come across pleasant on the news. But at other times they come across as total snobs who think they're massive pioneers and craft beer wasn't even a thing before they thought about putting it in a deer head.

Thats the shite i hate. There is no issue with enjoying Brewdog, but your staff looking down on people for wanting other beers is just snobbery, and this company seems to spread it at the moment. 

Thats the shite i hate. There is no issue with enjoying Brewdog, but your staff looking down on people for wanting other beers is just snobbery, and this company seems to spread it at the moment. 

But does it actually happen a lot or is it just a one off, third hand anecdote?

Every time I've been in a Brewdog bar the staff have gone out of their way NOT to patronise people who've come in just looking for a standard pint of lager or whatever.  They usually patiently explain why they don't have corona or other lager brands and try and recommend something the customer might like that they do have.  They spend a lot of time and effort training their staff to make sure that happens.  Of course there might be the odd exception.

Every time I've been in a Brewdog bar the staff have gone out of their way NOT to patronise people who've come in just looking for a standard pint of lager or whatever.  They usually patiently explain why they don't have corona or other lager brands and try and recommend something the customer might like that they do have.  They spend a lot of time and effort training their staff to make sure that happens.  Of course there might be the odd exception.

That story really happened while I was there. All my experiences have been fine. But I came in to buy Brewdog beers. I think if you're treating it just like a pub they do have a tendency, or did have a tendency, to look down at you.

They do have a lot of training so you can talk about the beers and stuff like. My ex got a job there and had more homework to do than when she was at school.

Very true, but its not the first time ive heard something along similar lines, but like any place, some of the staff will be brilliant, and some will be snobby wankers, same as their customers. 

James is a nice guy, it's just they believe that they have to promote the image they were using when they started the company, which is not where they are right now. 

They have broken into what was a very closed market at the time and expanded faster and bigger then I expect either of them thought would happen, as a result they have been fighting to keep up with demand and forgotten to update the image. While you may not like the beers or the people, you can't deny that thanks to them getting into the papers for one reason or another (manufactured by them or by the circumstances that fell at their feet) more people are aware that there is another option that isn't Carling, Tennents, Bud or the like (and I'm not talking about brewdog being the sole alternative).

If you want to really see cynical marketing try looking at lettherebebeer.com or watch this:

Edited by MattJimF

James is a nice guy, it's just they believe that they have to promote the image they were using when they started the company, which is not where they are right now. 

They have broken into what was a very closed market at the time and expanded faster and bigger then I expect either of them thought would happen, as a result they have been fighting to keep up with demand and forgotten to update the image. While you may not like the beers or the people, you can't deny that thanks to them getting into the papers for one reason or another (manufactured by them or by the circumstances that fell at their feet) more people are aware that there is another option that isn't Carling, Tennents, Bud or the like (and I'm not talking about brewdog being the sole alternative).

If you want to really see cynical marketing try looking at lettherebebeer.com or watch this:

People who drink ales and stuff have always been aware of other beers, i dont think Brewdog have opened any eyes really, they are just another one in the line of options available. 

I love how ludicrously hoppy their IPAs are.  Brew Dog definitely got me into IPA, as I didn't like it before.  When it first opened I was going there a lot - just because it was new, and different - and didn't like a few of the beers, but the more I persisted with the likes of Punk IPA, the more I grew fond of it.  Now I can barely taste a beer unless it's absolutely loaded with hops.  Hardcore IPA is more my standard now!  Although too many IPAs at once give me a dicky tummy. 

I tend to ignore their supercilious marketing campaign, which is undoubtedly ingenious, and focus on the tasty beers melting my tounge.  I think the punk aspect of it all is more related to their track record of non-conformity within the brewing industry, rather than punk music.  That was my assumption from the off, anyway. 

I wish they'd get a bigger premises in Aberdeen. 

People who drink ales and stuff have always been aware of other beers, i dont think Brewdog have opened any eyes really, they are just another one in the line of options available. 

That's the thing though, it's not people who drink ales and stuff they have been targeting (aside from the whole CAMRA stuff, but that's more to do with the whole cask/keg debate) it's the people who think Carling/Tennents et al are the only options. Brewdog decided to target them and raise awareness that there are different more interesting brewers across the globe that are far better than the big companies.

As for opening eyes, I think you'll probably find that before Brewdog, anything outwith the big companies output was seen as being for blokes with beards and old men rather than the 18-30 market, whereas now there are bars opening up where generic beers just aren't served at all (the Hanging Bat and Bow bar in Edinburgh to name two). Brewdog took something from the US and turned it into something appealing for the UK market, as a result the general population know and are aware that there are these options. It probably would have happened regardless of them but the input they made with the press coverage they got gave other brewers the launch pad to get their stuff in pubs and supermarkets that bit easier.

Edited by MattJimF

I love how ludicrously hoppy their IPAs are.  Brew Dog definitely got me into IPA, as I didn't like it before.  When it first opened I was going there a lot - just because it was new, and different - and didn't like a few of the beers, but the more I persisted with the likes of Punk IPA, the more I grew fond of it.  Now I can barely taste a beer unless it's absolutely loaded with hops.  Hardcore IPA is more my standard now!  Although too many IPAs at once give me a dicky tummy. 

I tend to ignore their supercilious marketing campaign, which is undoubtedly ingenious, and focus on the tasty beers melting my tounge.  I think the punk aspect of it all is more related to their track record of non-conformity within the brewing industry, rather than punk music.  That was my assumption from the off, anyway. 

I wish they'd get a bigger premises in Aberdeen. 

This is precisely the reason I can't stand most of their beers... No subtlety to the flavours. I suppose I can see the parallel to punx in that respect, it's simple and it's idiot proof.... Unfortunately, while I think that can be a great trait in art, I very much dislike it in a beer.

That being said, I did try some BrewDog beer or another (t'was recently and it was a new one) and it was really rather good. Nice and light and smooth, think it was a stout, can't remember.

I do, however, love the BrewDog bar (when it's quiet) because their guest beer selection is usually fucking excellent!

xx