aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

The Road

I've read the book so you'd think I'd know what to expect but this is bleak. Totally gut wrenching at the end. Viggo Mortenson impressive as ever, the young lad was really good as well. Ace music courtesy of Nick Cave and Warren Ellis. Didn't see the need for the flashbacks that weren't part of the book and served little purpose.

9/10.

Sherlock Holmes

I really quite enjoyed this. Robert Downey Jr does a similar cocky but charming thing as in 'Iron Man'. Jude Law is actually pretty good as Watson and could have been on a career rehabilitation but I see he has got back with prime irritant Sienna Miller so that's probably cocked up again. One flaw was that the film seemed to set up a whole other story. Let's hope the sequel gets approved then.

9/10.

Terminator Salvation

Better than T3 but not as good as the first 2 but I thought it was OK. Main problem for me was that Sam Worthington's character's purpose seemed a bit unclear. But then I did doze off on first watch as I was affy tired so I re-watched from where I recalled seeing to so I may have missed something.

7/10.

Being a huge Freddy fanboy I was almost dreading seeing what Michael Bay and his Platinum Dunes fucktards would do to ruin it. In the end it's not total shite but it's not far off. It's just dull and drab. The guy who plays Freddy is fucking shit, Freddy has no charisma any more, and the film is just completely done by the book and doesn't offer anything new. The film equivalent of dry bread. Plus, why did the change Freddy from being a child killer to being a child molester? I found him scarier as a murderer than a sex offender. Criminal. And what's more, they're inflcting two further sequels on us.

I always thought that it was part of his sinister undertone, him being a child molester. I haven't seen this but I imagine Michael Bay just takes the subtlty out of it.

I've often toyed with getting that out but I'm convinced the film won't live up to the poster.

It doesn't. Of course the cover is the reason I bought the DVD, so they did some good work there ;)

I always thought that it was part of his sinister undertone, him being a child molester. I haven't seen this but I imagine Michael Bay just takes the subtlty out of it.

I don't think Platinum Dunes have actually made a good film yet. Well OK the Friday the 13th remake was half decent I suppose but the rest - :down:. I've actually ordered their remake of The HItcher from Amazon as well. I don't know why I keep subjecting myself to their terrible movies.

It doesn't. Of course the cover is the reason I bought the DVD, so they did some good work there ;)

I don't think Platinum Dunes have actually made a good film yet. Well OK the Friday the 13th remake was half decent I suppose but the rest - :down:. I've actually ordered their remake of The HItcher from Amazon as well. I don't know why I keep subjecting myself to their terrible movies.

The remake of the Amityville Horror with Ryan Reynolds was pretty good...

Bad Lieutenant: Cage is back! Pretty sweet corrupt cop drama with a couple of drug-enduced trips.

Speed Racer: Matrix 'brothers' knock out a manga adaptation. Standard story, amazing visuals.

The Isle: freaky-weird Asian flick about a strange romance. 'Out there' but watchable.

Blazing Saddles: one of the best comedies ever, gag-a-minute, all hitting the mark. Classic

Traitor: Bomb expert Don Cheadle gets involved with terrorists, looks sorrow for the rest of film. OK

Napoleon Dynamite: didn't get it until 2nd viewing, low-fi coming of age comedy. Ace!

He's just not that in to you: Utter drivel, a teen movie played out by adults. Tripe.

Dorian Gray

A definite film of two halves. The first half has someone who is not Johnny Depp, but dearly wishes he was, being schooled in the art of being a shit by a wicked looking Colin Firth. This half of the film is dull, painful to watch and very poorly paced. Lots of boobs though.

The second half is a great improvement with not Johnny Depp still being a bit of a shit, but determined to change and it ends up in more of the spooky, supernatural territory that I was expecting when I added it to my love film list. But it's not enough to save the film from itself.

I watched Hook on Channel 5 yesterday. It's the greatest film ever made.

RUFIO! RUFIO!

This is it Smee, no stopping me this time Smee. Don't try and stop me Smee, don't you dare try and stop me Smee. Smee, try to stop me. Smee, try to stop me, Smee! :laughing:

I watched a pretty decent film on Five USA yesterday....'Fool's Parade' with James Stewart as an auld mannie, and Kurt Russell as a young chappie. I thought it would be a poor effort, but it was surprisingly OK.....not too far removed in feel from 'O brother where art thou?' (with a similar theme of three ex-cons on the run). The 'madame' telling how her mother had died after being infected by a bite "on her tit" from a confederate officer with wooden teeth was unusual for a 1971 film. And George Kennedy made a good baddie.

The Road

Sherlock Holmes

I really quite enjoyed this. Robert Downey Jr does a similar cocky but charming thing as in 'Iron Man'. Jude Law is actually pretty good as Watson and could have been on a career rehabilitation but I see he has got back with prime irritant Sienna Miller so that's probably cocked up again. One flaw was that the film seemed to set up a whole other story. Let's hope the sequel gets approved then.

9/10.

RDJ was on Jonathon Ross the other week saying he's back over here in a couple months to film Sherlock 2, so guessing it'll be out some time next year. Kind of gutting, cause I was hoping Guy Ritchie would take the time to do the promised sequel to Rock'n'Rolla - love that film. :)

Watched 2 blu rays today,

The Road : gritty and harsh with some very clever lighting and cinematography, read the book as well and it is mostly very tight with it, some graphic bits missing but I liked the added flashbacks, rubbed it in more how harsh and difficult life had got. Well acted soulful, a very good solid 8.5/10

Valhalla Rising : Was expecting a lot more from this, very messy film and a tad confusing to watch, a times it came across as some mad acid trip. Fairly minimal on the combat scenes as well considering the scope and some dubious stabs at history. The Scottish scenery is bleak, wild and dramatic and when there is some bursts of action it is brutal and efficient (though with some dodgy cgi blood spurts). I wanted to like this and aspects of the film on occasion worked but in general a poor effort, 4/10

Watched Ray Charles on Sunday night on itv3. Fucking cracking film I thought. Been told that there were a few scenes that had been over dramatised and slightly exagerrated but that's to be expected. It hit all the right spots for me just like Walk The Line did. Having been brought up with both Cash and Charles by my Grandfather may also have helped.

Jamie Foxx pulled off the part perfectly.

Couples Retreat - decent rom-com with a good cast and some top flange. Funny without there being any real belly laughs. 6/10

The Firm - Remake of the Allan Clarke/Gary Oldman TV classic, told from the perspective of "Dominic" a character from the original. Those familiar, will remember the Dominic from the "tattoo" scene and as being on the wrong end of Bex's wrath near the end of the story. It starts out well, but degenerates into a Cock-er-nee rhyming slang-fest, with some pretty lethargic fight scenes. The lead, Paul Anderson, does a half-decent job, but does not come close to portraying the intelligent menace conveyed by Oldman in the original. 5/10