aberdeen-music

Last film you watched?

Lemonade

BRONSON - Too arty for my liking really. Few really ace scenes, but I was rather bored of it by the end.

Agreed - it's a fair achievement - managing to make a film about one of Britain's most notorious prisoners excruciatingly boring.

In The Electric Mist - Complex murder mystery set in Louisiana, starring Tommy Lee Jones, Mary Steenburgen, John Goodman, Peter Saasgard, Ned Beatty and a rather hot-looking Kelly McDonald.

In a plot similar to Lone Star, TLJ plays an earnest local detective working on the brutal murder of a teenage prostitute whilst uncovering some truths about a 40-odd year old homicide that he may have witnessed as a youth.

Great performances all round and some good cinematography, but a fractured narrative and thick Deep-South accents (as unintelligible as any Scots dialect) make for a frustrating watch.

Get a hold of Lone Star instead.

The book is superb by all accounts. 6/10

Y tu mama tambien

Second time I've seen this. Very good film, I'd say 8/10.

I would agree with an 8/10.

I went to the cinema last night for the first time in months to see:

RUSH: BEYOND THE LIGHTED STAGE

....which was a pretty good 'rockumentary'. I would think you would have to have some interest in Rush to enjoy it.

I had to laugh at the amount of middle aged blokes in Rush T-Shirts - you'd have thought that Rush were playing live!

You're going to the cinema!

There was a round of applause at the credits as well.

They're not actually here!

I watched In Bruges for the second time last night. Liked it a lot more the second time round. Obviously some of the dialogue is just ridiculous, but despite all that, it is a really good film I reckon. Good solid story underneath some solid and risky black comedy. Ace.

I would agree with an 8/10.

I went to the cinema last night for the first time in months to see:

RUSH: BEYOND THE LIGHTED STAGE

....which was a pretty good 'rockumentary'. I would think you would have to have some interest in Rush to enjoy it.

I had to laugh at the amount of middle aged blokes in Rush T-Shirts - you'd have thought that Rush were playing live!

You're going to the cinema!

There was a round of applause at the credits as well.

They're not actually here!

where is this showing?

The Book of Eli - or Blade : The Fallout 3 & Max Mad Years

Not bad, decent action, but basically just another nuclear war retread and very derivative of Farenheit 451.

Law Abiding Citizen - Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!!! What an unholy pile of shite. I almost quit this one halfway through, but I'm glad that I waited for the credits, otherwise I'd have missed this great song...

YouTube - Grand Funk Railroad - Closer To Home - 01 - Sin's A Good Man's Brother

Monster Iommi/Page/Morello riff after the quiet opening.

Enduring Love

Seen this before but fancied watching again - Daniel Craig takes Samantha Morton on a romantic picnic but things go pear shaped when they witness a hot air ballooning accident and he tries to help out along with other bystanders including Rhys Ifans, only for things to have a tragic outcome. Craig struggles to come to terms with the accident while he is stalked by Ifans. It's an OK film but I am perhaps missing something as it's not 100% clear to me just why Ifans character is so obsessed by him.

6/10

3:10 to Yuma (2007) A nice looking, well acted Western riddled with plot holes and with a daft ending. The bad outweighed the good by the end.

Death Proof Not my cup of tea. I dont know if you need to be knowledgeable about the type of movie this was paying homage to in order to fully understand or enjoy it. I found the dialogue between the girls boring and am not that keen on extended action scenes. The fact that I was fast forwarding car chases probably suggests it just wasnt for me. That bird dressed as a cheerleader was something else though. Id love to knock her over in my Peugeot 206.

Anvil: The Story Of Anvil - documentary following the metal band Anvil, who had a couple of hits when they were in their 20s, and they are now in their 50s and still chasing the dream of being rock stars. The film follows them on a tour of Europe, where amusing episodes occur, they got lost on the way to venues, they play to crowds of 5 people, band members fight, etc. Comparisons with Spinal Tap are inevitable - both films follow bands who are past their prime; follow 2 band members who are lifelong friends, when they have a big fight and one of them quit; they culminate in a massive concert in Japan; they visit Stonehenge; they have a speaker in their studio that goes up to 11; the drummer is even called Rob Reiner! It's not a bad documentary, you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll rock out: but I've seen better music documentaries.

Inglourious Basterds - been looking forward to seeing this for a long time. It's nice and violent and has lots of blood and guts, the cast is fantastic, and it looks stylish as hell, but it misses a bit of Tarantino's usual sparkling dialogue, and it ain't Tarantino without all the pop culture references.

Tarantino-directed films in order of good:

1 - Kill Bill

2 - Pulp Fiction

3 - Reservoir Dogs

4 - Inglourious Basterds

5 - Jackie Brown

6 - Death Proof

and i want to see greenburg too, cinemas so expensive these days though, i need to get in on the unlimited pass thing

I'd definitely recommend getting a cinema card. I never really used to go to see films because it'd be 7/8 for a ticket, but then I got one of the cards and now end up going quite a lot. Also, it acts as an excuse to see shit films, "Well... I've already been to the cinema twice this month already, so TECHNICALLY, I won't be paying for this."

King Of Kong, which I first watched last year and said this about:

King of Kong - a strange little documentary about people who play competitve retro games, and a guy trying to beat a 25 year old world record at Donkey Kong. Only he finds that the authorities won't recognise his achievements because they are completely up the arse of the guy that set the score 25 years previous. They'll bend the rules let the previous champ keep his score and make up new rules to disqualify the new high score champion. It sounds ridiculous, but it's real edge of the seat stuff and you'' find yourself hating the "Gamer Of The Century" Billy Mitchell who along with his minions, does everything he can to protect his high scores. Unmissable.

Thumps up.

It's just as good on the second watch. Check this out if you haven't yet. Billy Mitchell is eeeeevil.