aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

I've just finished You've Been Warned by James Patterson, which was bought for me for Christmas. It was, well, unimpressive. You can fly through it quickly, the storyline is fairly original in that it's not been done to death, but I finished it feeling it was a little too quick and the ending left me disappointed that there wasn't enough actually explained.

Thought it was a peach myself, went on to read a book with a bunch of Conrad's short stories.

The name escapes me, but I also read a Conrad short story about these two incompetents running an ivory camp. Very similar, but simpler and more to the point in my opinion (naturally, being a short story). Recognise it at all?

Edit: 'An Outpost of Progress' ;)

Seven Days of Peter Crumb, by Jonny Glynn.

Immense book, very dark humour.

Anne of Green Gables, which is dissapointing.

Baudaleire likewise isnt doing much for me.

Saved by "Letters to Felice" which shows correspondents between his lover and him. Anyone ever read it? Gross invasion of privacy but very compelling.

Currently reading My Life - Fidel Castro with Ignacio Ramonet

Only a couple of chapters in but I'm enjoying it so far. I life the interview / biography style.

Read quite a few books recently, the best ones being: Candide - Voltaire, The Grapes of Wrath - Steinbeck, Things fall apart - Achebe & The Dubliners - Joyce.

Also read 'One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich' by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, which is a short, insight into a 1950s Russian hard-labour camp.

I remember reading that at school...he hid his bread. I think.

I liked that book.

I'm reading the second part of the Aldous Huxley book 'Heaven and Hell'. It needs re-read. I'm not taking any of it in...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working through "King Of The World" by David Remnick, which is about Muhammad Ali (which i've already read twice, but it's brilliant)

Amazon.co.uk: King of the World: Muhammad Ali and the Rise of the American Hero: David Remnick: Books

And also reading "Choke" by Chuck Palahniuk , which I've only just started.

Amazon.co.uk: Choke: Chuck Palahniuk: Books .

And I've also just ordered "A Lion's Tale : Around The World In Spandex" by Chris Jericho, and "Paul Le Guen: L'Enigma - A Chronicle of Trauma and Turmoil at Rangers" by Graham Spiers. Although I'm not a hun I'm interested in how he managed to fuck things up so spectacularly and I think it'll be a good story. The only thing I feel bad about is that I'm lining Graham Spiers' pockets and he's a total cunt.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the graphic novel "Watchmen".

What an absolutely stunning book / comic.

I hear the movie's coming out next year. There's absolutely no way the Hollywood treatment is ever going to do it justice. This is a must read. (I've been putting it off for about 10 years because I'd gone off comics... how stupid of me.)

And I've also just ordered "A Lion's Tale : Around The World In Spandex" by Chris Jericho, and "Paul Le Guen: L'Enigma - A Chronicle of Trauma and Turmoil at Rangers" by Graham Spiers. Although I'm not a hun I'm interested in how he managed to fuck things up so spectacularly and I think it'll be a good story. The only thing I feel bad about is that I'm lining Graham Spiers' pockets and he's a total cunt.

The Chris Jericho book was amazing! Great read, really entertaining, the Paul le Guen one was a waste of time, didn't offer any information I didn't already know and alot of the author's conclusions about why PLG failed so badly were questionable, and appeared to be mostly guesswork, which I could have done myself.