aberdeen-music

The World Cup 2014 Thread

Woodsinho

I do back what that article is saying. Sterling was effective in a free-role, though he is normally a wide player for Liverpool, and most of the problems he caused came from when he went around the outside and got in behind. He is certainly capable of playing anywhere in the attack, and overall, he was the most dangerous player wherever he was, especially from the central area where he was involved for the first goal.

I'm not sure England should be playing Rooney through the middle just to cover up for his inadequacies though

I largely agree with this. But the issue will be that Roy is most probably not going to ditch Rooney, just like Moyes never did after numerous stinkers he had. So, if that has to be the case, I think Rooney central and Sterling wide gives the attack more balance given Rooney's undroppable circumstance, as both players can operate well in those positions, rather than Sterling central and Rooney wide, where Sterling will be fine, but Rooney will put the team at quite a disadvantage.

But overall, I'd rather see Rooney come off the bench for Sturridge late in the game if needed, than be shoe-horned into the starting 11 onto the wing, where he causes more problems than he solves.

I enjoyed watching that england team. The lack of width in midfield is the only criticism id have. No heskey/crouch one dimensional players, a lot of attacking intent. A lot to be excited about. They just got italied hard is all. I think they'll come out of that group with 2 wins.

Swiss to win 2-0

Can see France scoring freely and win by a large margin. 4-1

Argentina to hump bosnia 5-0. Messi hattrick. 'Best of all time' discussion taken up a notch

Nah it's going to be 3-1 and France are just going to scrape through 1-0 so Switzerland are top at all times.

I enjoyed watching that england team. The lack of width in midfield is the only criticism id have. No heskey/crouch one dimensional players, a lot of attacking intent. A lot to be excited about. They just got italied hard is all. I think they'll come out of that group with 2 wins.

You're wrong.  They will fall to their knees before mighty Cost Rica like the peons they are.

edit: And maybe scrape a draw with poor, poor Uruguay.

Edited by Old Gold

The amount of goals in the tournament has decreased every year since USA 94. It looks likely that is about to end, which is great.

Alot of ropey defending so far. There's very few teams you can say have brought a solid defence with them, so everyone is leaking goals. Italy have looked solid, and I think Germany will be too. Belgium have some very good individuals defensively, but have looked iffy in qualifying, but I'm looking forward to seeing if they can keep it tight. Everyone else, so far, looks fragile. I hope it remains that way. GOALS!